Loyola patent fair, now law school OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Loyola patent fair, now law school OCI?

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:33 pm

1) I have a general question to fellow participants in the Loyola fair. If you were "not selected" by a firm, are you using your law school OCI on that firm? Or is this a wasted bid? My career office punted on this question, so I'm not sure if anyone has experience with an OCI rebid if a firm no-selects you for the patent fair. If you're going into patent law, and a firm no-selected you for the patent fair, I can't think of a good reason why they would now select you for the general fair, unless your GPA jumped big time in the Spring. Any thoughts?

2) I ended up bidding non-optimally because a certain firm that I bid on, for 5 offices, collapsed my bids into one "firmwide" interview. I could've used those bids on other firms, but unfortunately its too late now. On the other hand, another firm granted multiple interviews for different offices in response to my multiple bids on that firm. This seems to be just how firms work, but its impossible to formulate a good bid method for the general OCI fair if firms "collapse" bids like this. Anyway, how are you guys navigating firms that you have a strong interest in with multiple offices? I don't want to "lose bids" in the general OCI. Again, career office is not sure about this because the Patent fair was out of their "jurisdiction".

Anonymous User

Re: Loyola patent fair, now law school OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:06 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:1) I have a general question to fellow participants in the Loyola fair. If you were "not selected" by a firm, are you using your law school OCI on that firm? Or is this a wasted bid? My career office punted on this question, so I'm not sure if anyone has experience with an OCI rebid if a firm no-selects you for the patent fair. If you're going into patent law, and a firm no-selected you for the patent fair, I can't think of a good reason why they would now select you for the general fair, unless your GPA jumped big time in the Spring. Any thoughts?
I will be bidding on firms that nixed me, but that is because my stats did change between first and second semester. I now know about law review and secondary journals, have summer work experience and a different GPA (that's unfortunately lower), etc.

In the PLI webcast, they mentioned that some firms have separate hiring tracks for PLIP and for OCI. They even suggested that it might be possible to bid on both. I imagine that career services would know if this is allowable. If all else fails, I would even consider calling the recruiter at the firm and asking. There's no sense in wasting bids.
yellowjacket2012 wrote:2) I ended up bidding non-optimally because a certain firm that I bid on, for 5 offices, collapsed my bids into one "firmwide" interview. I could've used those bids on other firms, but unfortunately its too late now. On the other hand, another firm granted multiple interviews for different offices in response to my multiple bids on that firm. This seems to be just how firms work, but its impossible to formulate a good bid method for the general OCI fair if firms "collapse" bids like this. Anyway, how are you guys navigating firms that you have a strong interest in with multiple offices? I don't want to "lose bids" in the general OCI. Again, career office is not sure about this because the Patent fair was out of their "jurisdiction".
I had similar issues. No idea. Some firms explicitly stated how they wanted you to bid and some didn't. It was less of a problem for me, though, since I'm limited geographically and only bid on two different offices, at most, per firm.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:13 pm

You now know about law review? Damn, I wanna go to your school! My school takes till mid/late-July to tell me anything about anything. Still in time for interviews, which is the important thing.

As far as using X bids when 1 would've sufficed, I'm looking at the Loyola list again and kicking myself in the butt for completely overlooking certain firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:15 pm

i bid on every single jones day office (11) and fish richardson office (8) to show my "interest". low and behold, i got an interview from both. 2.5GPA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:16 pm

why didn't you just make like 4 alts and bid every loyola employer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i bid on every single jones day office (11) and fish richardson office (8) to show my "interest". low and behold, i got an interview from both. 2.5GPA
You can choose to punt on this since you're anonymous, but do you have multiple interviews for FR and JD for multiple offices, or do you have one interview specific to one office, or have FR/JD indicated that whatever office is interviewing you is actually doing a firm-wide?

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:why didn't you just make like 4 alts and bid every loyola employer?

alt + finite bid system = unethical.
Your resume's all over your alts, you'll expose yourself to a world of trouble.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:55 pm

I had a firm specifically contact me to let me know that I should bid at my school's OCI, as the only reason they did not grant me an interview at the Loyola fair was because they knew they would be at my school and want to maximize their interview options. I expect that a number of other firms had the same strategy, but not necessarily the awareness to realize that you might not realize they had done this. If you think you probably should have got an interview, I would bid again at OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a firm specifically contact me to let me know that I should bid at my school's OCI, as the only reason they did not grant me an interview at the Loyola fair was because they knew they would be at my school and want to maximize their interview options. I expect that a number of other firms had the same strategy, but not necessarily the awareness to realize that you might not realize they had done this. If you think you probably should have got an interview, I would bid again at OCI.
Same thing happened to me.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a firm specifically contact me to let me know that I should bid at my school's OCI, as the only reason they did not grant me an interview at the Loyola fair was because they knew they would be at my school and want to maximize their interview options. I expect that a number of other firms had the same strategy, but not necessarily the awareness to realize that you might not realize they had done this. If you think you probably should have got an interview, I would bid again at OCI.
edit: I get it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”