3.26 at Cornell, bidding question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3.26 at Cornell, bidding question

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:06 am

Hey guys,

First question
what percentile would a 3.26 be?
bottom 1/3?? or 40%?

Is there any point bidding on firms that look at grades moderately (firms that generally give call backs to those with 3.35)?

BTW, talked to one of the career service people recently, and heard that the NY Job fair is going to be very similar to last year's. :(

Thanks

KMaine

Re: 3.26 at Cornell, bidding question

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:20 am

Hello. So the only figures that we have are the 30th percentile, the median and the 10th percentile. If we assume an equal distribution at the bottom and the top of the bell curve, we can calculate that the BOTTOM 30% of the class is 3.23. You are somewhat close to that. Probably not close enough to be bottom third. So I don't think you are bottom third, but I also don't think you are quite at the Top 60 cutoff. Somewhere in the middle.

If I were you, I would bid as conservatively as possible, putting all of the least selective firms at the top of my list. Now, you will probably end up getting some interviews with more selective firms. That is o.k. Do not be intimidated. If they like you, they may take a chance are you. Your grades show that you are a competent student, and in a better economy you may do very well at OCI.

Good luck. It only takes one.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:52 am

I would look at the firms that everyone else is turning their noses up at right now:

DLA Piper
Latham & Watkins
Cadwalader
White & Case
Bryan Cave

The above were notorious for mass layoffs and/or salary cuts and by some accounts over-did things on de-leveraging. They may actually be looking for people now, but may be unable to get the top of the class due to their layoff-happy reputation.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:59 am

nealric wrote:I would look at the firms that everyone else is turning their noses up at right now:

DLA Piper
Latham & Watkins
Cadwalader
White & Case
Bryan Cave

The above were notorious for mass layoffs and/or salary cuts and by some accounts over-did things on de-leveraging. They may actually be looking for people now, but may be unable to get the top of the class due to their layoff-happy reputation.

This seems like pretty decent advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:22 am

I'm not sure I agree totally with nealric. Might be okay to throw one or two of those somewhere on your bid list (Latham would by my selection in your position) but I doubt a 3.26 is going to get you an offer even in a down year unless the rest of your resume and your interviewing skills are off the chart. Even though they've been doing layoffs, people with median or slightly above GPAs will still be bidding on them (I am not going to throw any of those totally off my list wholesale just because they did layoffs and I'm at the same or comparable school in the top 10%), and people at lower ranked schools with stellar GPAs hoping to break into Biglaw might take a chance on one of those brand names and be more successful. I can't imagine that the drop off in selectivity will be THAT great...I would think they'd rather take a smaller class and/or make fewer summer bids rather than set a selectivity precedent in the bottom third of the class going forward.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:37 pm

Well, I was kind of going on the idea that the OP would fill his/her first slots with the least selective firms, and since there will probably not be enough to fill up the entire bid list he/she would go to the "layoff" firms next. I agree that ALL law students will be anxious to get a Biglaw gig in this economy, and though higher-ranked students may concentrate on more stable firms, they probably will not cross anybody off their list.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:44 pm

I'm not sure I agree totally with nealric. Might be okay to throw one or two of those somewhere on your bid list (Latham would by my selection in your position) but I doubt a 3.26 is going to get you an offer even in a down year unless the rest of your resume and your interviewing skills are off the chart. Even though they've been doing layoffs, people with median or slightly above GPAs will still be bidding on them (I am not going to throw any of those totally off my list wholesale just because they did layoffs and I'm at the same or comparable school in the top 10%), and people at lower ranked schools with stellar GPAs hoping to break into Biglaw might take a chance on one of those brand names and be more successful. I can't imagine that the drop off in selectivity will be THAT great...I would think they'd rather take a smaller class and/or make fewer summer bids rather than set a selectivity precedent in the bottom third of the class going forward.

Honestly, the OP doesn't have a great shot at any firm. But the above firms may be the most willing to dip a bit. The other alternatives would be non-vault or less selective lower-vault firms. However, those firms tend to have very small class sizes. OP should also talk to career services and talk about firms that have been historically less selective from Cornell.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:23 pm

You should honestly not count on anything coming from OCIs, but that isn't to say you can't get a firm job. OCIs have not (in recent years) been a super reliable way to land jobs for a large portion of the class, and ITE, anyone below median at just about any of the top schools should not bank on OCIs.

If I were you:

Put together some cover letters for mid-size firms. Many of these firms still pay market or close to it, so you're not SOL. Also, start now because you want to individualize the cover letters to each firm. Maybe keep the intro paragraph the same or something for each market you're applying to, but otherwise particularize the cover letters. Aim for 50-75 firms in any market you have a connection to. By trying to gain backdoor entrance into these firms, you dramatically increase your opportunities for interviews. Wait until you hear back from journals, because landing one could give you a boost. I would start applying and sending resumes to firms (not OCI firms) by the end of August. Give yourself a chance to have your resume assessed before they start calling back people at other OCIs. Check out martindale or NALP for lists of firms that you might be interested in.

Good luck! You're a fellow classmate, so I want us all to get jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:30 pm

Thank you for your comments, all of you. :)

I guess I should start researching firms that don't come to our OCI, and start sending out cover letters.

Return to “Legal Employment”