Berkeley OCIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
IzziesGal

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:31 pm

emilybeth wrote:I'm only barely OCIPing, but I'm pretty disappointed that I've both heard of and personally witnessed people loudly and smugly scheduling callbacks in public places, like HD and the student center. Especially the woman who was quite obnoxious today about certain times not working for her because she'd already scheduled callbacks for then. Way rude, folks.

+1 to the guy who either answered his phone or was calling back a recently missed call, SPRINTED down the aisle out of business associations in a full suit, and accidentally(??) slammed the door behind him as he went to finish his call. Totally dramatic exit. Highly unnecessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:39 am

IzziesGal wrote:
emilybeth wrote:I'm only barely OCIPing, but I'm pretty disappointed that I've both heard of and personally witnessed people loudly and smugly scheduling callbacks in public places, like HD and the student center. Especially the woman who was quite obnoxious today about certain times not working for her because she'd already scheduled callbacks for then. Way rude, folks.

+1 to the guy who either answered his phone or was calling back a recently missed call, SPRINTED down the aisle out of business associations in a full suit, and accidentally(??) slammed the door behind him as he went to finish his call. Totally dramatic exit. Highly unnecessary.

That happened about 30 seconds after I got a call from a 415 that I chose to not answer. When I picked up the voicemail it was a rejection call. I wonder if it was the same person calling all her rejects.

To anyone else thinking about sprinting out of class to take that call: if they like you enough for a callback, they're going to hold that opening for more than the 15 minutes (or 60 minutes or 120 mins or...or...or...) when you get out of class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

Business Associations is a riot. I loved how half the class left at around 2:50 today. However, the class itself is a little boring. I really think that power points decrease the quality of teaching for some professors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 am

+1 to BA being sweet. I really like the profs and their attitude towards OCI. I find it rather encouraging.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:+1 to BA being sweet. I really like the profs and their attitude towards OCI. I find it rather encouraging.

Their attitude is awesome but I'd agree with previous poster that mccrary struggggles to bring those PPs to life. The OCIP drama is by far the best part of the class

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:30 pm

vw phone call today for Weil SF

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:+1 to BA being sweet. I really like the profs and their attitude towards OCI. I find it rather encouraging.

Their attitude is awesome but I'd agree with previous poster that mccrary struggggles to bring those PPs to life. The OCIP drama is by far the best part of the class

Every day I look forward to cheering/clapping/making catcalls whenever someone leaves for an interview. There's something very freeing about participating in a professor-sanctioned ruckus....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 am

Jones Day DC +
Curtis Mallet-Prevost NY +
Crowell & Moring SF -

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:46 pm

anybody hear back from these DC firms: Steptoe, A&P, Gibson Dunn, Hogan Lovells, Howrey?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:anybody hear back from these DC firms: Steptoe, A&P, Gibson Dunn, Hogan Lovells, Howrey?

No word from A&P or Hogan. Gibson Dunn was today (so also no). Didn't interview with the others.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anybody hear back from these DC firms: Steptoe, A&P, Gibson Dunn, Hogan Lovells, Howrey?

No word from A&P or Hogan. Gibson Dunn was today (so also no). Didn't interview with the others.

I heard Gibson Dunn invited a bunch of people out to dinner yesterday (they did OCIP yesterday) - did they do that today also?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:14 am

guy from gibson dunn told me they were interviewing ~ 200 students, i think they will be pretty selective

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:guy from gibson dunn told me they were interviewing ~ 200 students, i think they will be pretty selective

200 students at BOALT's OCIP?!?!?!?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure that is not right. Nor can it be 200 students nationwide. Hmm....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:23 am

they had 2 days and at least 5 rooms each day plus a hospitality suite each day, so ya they easily could have

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:guy from gibson dunn told me they were interviewing ~ 200 students, i think they will be pretty selective

I'm pretty sure that is not right. Nor can it be 200 students nationwide. Hmm....

As said ^ it is absolutely true. SF office alone had 80-100 interviews. 40 had been scheduled over the 2 days, but because the bid demand was so high, they added overflow interviews that at least doubled that. That doesn't count all the other offices that were here. Good news: nearly everyone who wanted an interview got one. Bad news: nearly everyone who wanted an interview got one. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:42 pm

hogan lovells dc cb

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:55 am

anyone hear back from any of the DA offices?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As said ^ it is absolutely true. SF office alone had 80-100 interviews. 40 had been scheduled over the 2 days, but because the bid demand was so high, they added overflow interviews that at least doubled that. That doesn't count all the other offices that were here. Good news: nearly everyone who wanted an interview got one. Bad news: nearly everyone who wanted an interview got one. :)

So this makes me curious - I got invited to a dinner hosted by Gibson Dunn when they were here - if THAT many people interviewed, I wonder if I'm on some kind of special list? That would be awesome!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So this makes me curious - I got invited to a dinner hosted by Gibson Dunn when they were here - if THAT many people interviewed, I wonder if I'm on some kind of special list? That would be awesome!

I got a different school and out Gibson Dunn dinner included way more people than they called back. At other schools, that hasn't been the case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So this makes me curious - I got invited to a dinner hosted by Gibson Dunn when they were here - if THAT many people interviewed, I wonder if I'm on some kind of special list? That would be awesome!

Also, dinner was after Day 1. If dinner were determinative, no one from Day 2 would be called back.

I actually think the overflow plan is a stroke of genius by GD. They get to do an end run around the lottery while at the same time sending the message to students how willing they are to bend over backward for their people (and potential people).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:38 pm

What are everyone's overall impressions now that we are pretty much done?

2 CB around top 40% if i were to guess, kind of disappointed. Then again know plenty of people at median with absolutely nothing. Seems like you either got more than 10 or around zero BLAH. Also half the interviews seemed like a waste of time if not top 10% and LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Callbacks: Sidley DC, Hogan DC, Mofo SF, Weil SV
Dinged: Keker, Latham
No response: Finnegan, Covington, King-Spalding, Steptoe, ArnoldPorter, GibsonDunn, Ropes, Cadwalader, Irell
Interview remaining: Quinn

Transfer student, so my class standing is kind of irrelevant because I'm not a comparator.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:05 pm

What does top 40% look like? 4 Hs? 3 Hs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Callbacks: Wilson Sonsini, MoFo, Jones Day, Reed Smith, Latham
Ding: Bryan Cave, Davis Polk, Sullivan Cromwell
No Response: The other 11 firms I've interviewed with.

Transfer student, IP hopeful, several years work experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:38 pm

nice.

Return to “Legal Employment”