Berkeley OCIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
worldtraveler

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:02 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No there is the limit of 10 per phase. I read your post to say that you had 3 CB's from 6 screeners = only having 6 screeners. Congrats btw.

Thanks, I've basically not talked OCIP/callbacks with any Boalties because I don't want to deal with a "They took our jobs" conversation or mean glance given that I transferred in - although for my short time here I've noticed a very non-competitive vibe, with ONE really minor exception.

I really hope you don't run into this at Boalt. Last year, the competition was INSANE as a 1L. There was a lot of tension because of all the "ITE" talk. From what I gather, people are a lot more laid back this year. Grades are in, and essentially - "it is what it is." We're all just working with what we've got at this point, and a lot of us are really supportive/happy for one another. I wouldn't worry too much abt being a transfer at OCIP. :D

I don't remember the competition being all that insane. I have the feeling I just didn't pay attention to a lot of stuff as a 1L.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Also a transfer...CB from Simpson NY and 1 other CB outside of OCIP, no dings so far...I bid heavily on a smaller market so my hope is that those interviewers take a little longer to make CBs and I'm not auto-dinged at the places I haven't heard back from yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:19 pm

5Ps, 1H. 1CB, 1 ding, and a whole lot of nothing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:27 pm

what have the transfer student interviews been like? Have the questions centered around "why transfer," etc.? Is there a general theme that transfers have noticed in their OCIP phase 1 interviews? I wonder how its different from the non-transfers, if there is any difference (clearly, there's the transcript thing)

For myself personally, the "why did you transfer" has effectively replaced "why did you go to law school in the first place"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 pm

As a transfer, they haven't looked over my transcript in the interview. I'm assuming it's because my GPA is on my resume, which they've already seen. And yes, they usually ask me to explain why I went to law school, why I transferred, and how I'm liking it. I've gotten into a rhythm telling that story.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Non-boalt student here...when did you guys start/stop OCI? The # of CBs on this thread seem very, very tiny.

bizen boat

Postby bizen boat » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Non-boalt student here...when did you guys start/stop OCI? The # of CBs on this thread seem very, very tiny.

If you think the # of CB's here is tiny, check out the U Chicago thread :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 pm

We started Monday. They say that CA call backs take longer than NY call backs. I'm hoping this is true.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Non-boalt student here...when did you guys start/stop OCI? The # of CBs on this thread seem very, very tiny.

Boalt is also not even halfway done with OCI yet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:13 pm

I'm barely done with half my interviews from Phase 1, and have 3 callbacks, so multiply that by 4 and you get over 10 callbacks, so much for Boalt not being awesome for biglaw - and I'm a transfer!

bkthunder

Postby bkthunder » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm barely done with half my interviews from Phase 1, and have 3 callbacks, so multiply that by 4 and you get over 10 callbacks, so much for Boalt not being awesome for biglaw - and I'm a transfer!

Nice. Mind me asking what market(s) the CBs are from?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:27 pm

Palo Alto/SanFran/D.C., 1 v10, the other are v25

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Transfer here, top 5% at school between 70 and 50, strong work experience after undergrad, on a secondary journal. 9 interviews, no callbacks, one ding. Not happy but most of my firms haven't started doing anything yet so who knows.

from what I can tell - most of anyone's firms haven't started doing anything yet - with top 5% from t1 = gigs.

Are you IP?

Not IP. I think as it stands is I've got one official ding, and there's probably 3 other places I'm out at since they started doing callbacks already, and the rest is a mystery. I applied all over the place, to the city where I transferred from, the city where I grew up in, the city where I'd most want to be, and of course the Bay. So in hitting four distinct markets you'd think something would pop up, and with that probably some lag between offices. I did up and down the Vault rankings, and definitely interviewed at places outside of the V100. I got 24 interviews total.

Anyway. Good luck, believe me when I say I'm pulling for everyone to get something. Hopefully tomorrow is a big day for CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:5Ps, 1H. 1CB, 1 ding, and a whole lot of nothing.

Congrats on the 1 callback!! Where is it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:5Ps, 1H. 1CB, 1 ding, and a whole lot of nothing.

Congrats on the 1 callback!! Where is it?

Fish & Richardson. And thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:55 am

yellowjacket2012 wrote:for the most part, I have used the hospitality suites to talk to people I did not have a screening interview with, for reasons beyond my control.

I dropped my resume off, talked about my interests with the recruiter, and left.

Is it just me - or have the hospitality suites had no partners in there, just recruiters or associates? Have any hospitality suite visits actually resulted in face time with a hiring partner?

I had a few minutes with a SF hiring partner following a screening interview with one of the associates. Coincidentally (?) it's my sole callback at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 pm

anybody do the SF DA interview today?

Mine was *hard* - asked me some really tricky hypotheticals - all pertaining to ethical issues.

I feel like I rambled his ear off - he seemed either bored or engaged, lol. Not sure.

Its funny - I've done a bunch of big law interviews, and they are so fluffy/stupid - this guy really had his ish together and asked tough questions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 pm

got bryan cave (la), perkins coie (seattle), and cravath dings today.

who would want to work for those chumps anyways, right?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Also got the perkins coie seattle ding today. I thought my screener went well and I have ties, but I know they're competitive and don't have a lot of spots

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:02 pm

I haven't heard anything from any employer I interviewed with last week.

Not at all.

Am I doomed? Are they all dings?

emilybeth

Postby emilybeth » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:44 pm

I'm only barely OCIPing, but I'm pretty disappointed that I've both heard of and personally witnessed people loudly and smugly scheduling callbacks in public places, like HD and the student center. Especially the woman who was quite obnoxious today about certain times not working for her because she'd already scheduled callbacks for then. Way rude, folks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:46 pm

ppl scheduling callbacks at the home depot? hmm

anyone heard from Weil SF or Covington DC yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also got the perkins coie seattle ding today. I thought my screener went well and I have ties, but I know they're competitive and don't have a lot of spots

I'm local to Seattle too and got bopped myself. That dude was a straight up asshole, not that he was tough or anything, just the way he carried himself. Go figure, my most important interview, and my least favorite. Such is OCIP.

Oh well, bigger day tomorrow. Skadden time :shock: good luck fam

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also got the perkins coie seattle ding today. I thought my screener went well and I have ties, but I know they're competitive and don't have a lot of spots

I'm local to Seattle too and got bopped myself. That dude was a straight up asshole, not that he was tough or anything, just the way he carried himself. Go figure, my most important interview, and my least favorite. Such is OCIP.

I'm the anon you quoted. Skadden (SF) tomo too. I thought the perkins interviewer was actually a pretty good guy- we had one school in common that allowed for a little rapport, and he seemed pretty genuine overall. Then again, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and maybe the "rapport" I felt was actually lacking since I didn't get a CB. To quote Three 6 Mafia, "it's hard out here for a pimp."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm the anon you quoted. Skadden (SF) tomo too. I thought the perkins interviewer was actually a pretty good guy- we had one school in common that allowed for a little rapport, and he seemed pretty genuine overall. Then again, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and maybe the "rapport" I felt was actually lacking since I didn't get a CB. To quote Three 6 Mafia, "it's hard out here for a pimp."

congrats you guys (assuming you're not IP) - if you are IP, I'd stay away from skadden - if you're good enough to get a callback there, you're going to be muuuuch better off at a IP heavy firm

Return to “Legal Employment”