Berkeley OCIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm

lovelaw27 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:transfer, got 10 of my top 11


I was misreading this earlier post. I thought they were talking about call backs. Obviously they must have been talking about interviews.


Correct, that is referring to getting interviews through the phase 1 bidding.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:16 pm

transfer here, 3 cbs out of 6 phase 1 screenings (mofo+ sidley+ simpson+, waiting to hear from finnegan, covington, weil), hopefully this success continues for phase 2, although I didn't get 10 interviews for that phase.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:31 pm

How did you not get 10 interviews each phase? We get 50 bids...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:32 pm

I dunno, just got 8 - I didn't bid 50 bids, I only bid 18, I'm an idiot I guess. I "open signed up" for some folks, obviously - the open sign ups aren't really that pursued, although I got lucky with Simpson (that was an open sign up), and one of my callbacks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:33 pm

No there is the limit of 10 per phase. I read your post to say that you had 3 CB's from 6 screeners = only having 6 screeners. Congrats btw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No there is the limit of 10 per phase. I read your post to say that you had 3 CB's from 6 screeners = only having 6 screeners. Congrats btw.

Thanks, I've basically not talked OCIP/callbacks with any Boalties because I don't want to deal with a "They took our jobs" conversation or mean glance given that I transferred in - although for my short time here I've noticed a very non-competitive vibe, with ONE really minor exception.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Ya it is really chill here. I also try not to talk about OCIP/callbacks, not for the fear of the "they took our jerbs" (bc as of now I am not taking any jobs).

Please do tell of the exception to the chillness as I have not seen any.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They probably come from schools interviewers have heard of?

It is still early so all hope is far from being lost. In fact, I am predicting a callback to come in tomorrow (staying positive). However, one interviewer straight up told me it would be a miracle to get me past the hiring committee because of my old school. Such is life.

Just saw new post: I know of a few transfers with callbacks

a screener TOLD you that? I don't know whether that's helpful, or rude, or what. What does it matter where you transferred from? I don't get the logic.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ya it is really chill here. I also try not to talk about OCIP/callbacks, not for the fear of the "they took our jerbs" (bc as of now I am not taking any jobs).

Please do tell of the exception to the chillness as I have not seen any.

minor exception: someone told me and one other person that CLR wasn't as highly regarded by recruiters given that it is disconnected from grades in response to my concern over not having made law review going into OCIP, I personally don't think that is true (i.e. I think CLR is great)- even though I didn't make CLR, I tip my hat to regulars and transfers who did - legal writing/editing is hard, and to be that good at it is great.

The exception went on to basically say CLR was a joke, yadda yadda - I don't really think that this is competitive behavior, but the third person in the conversation WAS on CLR, so it made it pretty awkward for that third person, who went on to defend CLR - something nobody on CLR needs to do because it is an accomplishment, grades or otw.

In fact, I think I read somewhere on TLS that people with all Ps + CLR are doing great - so, so much for recruiters not caring.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:54 pm

It was helpful because she was expressing that she really liked me but that they have strict grade requirements so she would really have to go to bat for me to get a CB. I appreciated the honesty. It certainly isn't surprising that these firms don't like the t4 status regardless of my charm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:56 pm

fwiw, I personally don't think anybody should be talking about their own callbacks in a non-anonymous manner to anyone else unless they're talking to a close friend, or someone who they know is doing really well, etc. - Boalt or elsewhere.

Its a delicate issue, maybe it wasn't back in '04 or '06 or whatever, but I think it is now.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:01 pm

on a lighter note, does anyone have any interesting schmoozing stories from the OCIP reception rooms? I saw some a.w.k.w.a.r.d. stuff - one student dropped a dozen f-bombs in front of a bunch of partners at a V10's "reception" room at Durant. I exchanged stares with another partner when this kid kept dishing it, he just would not stop, wonder if he's getting a cb.

Maybe he was nervous. In any event, I think I kind of had a moment with the hiring partner over our shared disapproval of the kid's verbal ticks, maybe I'll get a callback out of that!!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:on a lighter note, does anyone have any interesting schmoozing stories from the OCIP reception rooms? I saw some a.w.k.w.a.r.d. stuff - one student dropped a dozen f-bombs in front of a bunch of partners at a V10's "reception" room at Durant. I exchanged stares with another partner when this kid kept dishing it, he just would not stop, wonder if he's getting a cb.

Maybe he was nervous. In any event, I think I kind of had a moment with the hiring partner over our shared disapproval of the kid's verbal ticks, maybe I'll get a callback out of that!!!!


Wow. I don't have any funny stories but have def been taking advantage of the suites. One surprising thing is that students seem to be asking questions that are readily answerable on the website (how long is the program, how is work assigned, is there a mentor program, etc.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wow. I don't have any funny stories but have def been taking advantage of the suites. One surprising thing is that students seem to be asking questions that are readily answerable on the website (how long is the program, how is work assigned, is there a mentor program, etc.)


Its pretty damn hard to have a normal conversation in one of those rooms - when you're literally physically in there with your competition, if you in fact conceptualize other Boalt kids as that (your real competition is all law students around the country, but whatever, class standing does matter, so I'll give you that). Screening interviews are easy because you're not sitting next to the guy with the killer personality and twenty jokes at his sleeve.

I'm pretttty confident that I got one of my callbacks because I spent an hour or so, just chatting with two associates from the firm in the reception room - didn't really talk about the job, at all actually. It helped that they had really good cookies.

yellowjacket2012
Posts: 283
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:13 pm

for the most part, I have used the hospitality suites to talk to people I did not have a screening interview with, for reasons beyond my control.

I dropped my resume off, talked about my interests with the recruiter, and left.

Is it just me - or have the hospitality suites had no partners in there, just recruiters or associates? Have any hospitality suite visits actually resulted in face time with a hiring partner?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:16 pm

The jones day national hiring partner was in their room.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ya it is really chill here. I also try not to talk about OCIP/callbacks, not for the fear of the "they took our jerbs" (bc as of now I am not taking any jobs).

Please do tell of the exception to the chillness as I have not seen any.

minor exception: someone told me and one other person that CLR wasn't as highly regarded by recruiters given that it is disconnected from grades in response to my concern over not having made law review going into OCIP, I personally don't think that is true (i.e. I think CLR is great)- even though I didn't make CLR, I tip my hat to regulars and transfers who did - legal writing/editing is hard, and to be that good at it is great.

The exception went on to basically say CLR was a joke, yadda yadda - I don't really think that this is competitive behavior, but the third person in the conversation WAS on CLR, so it made it pretty awkward for that third person, who went on to defend CLR - something nobody on CLR needs to do because it is an accomplishment, grades or otw.

In fact, I think I read somewhere on TLS that people with all Ps + CLR are doing great - so, so much for recruiters not caring.


Likely someone who didn't make CLR and who is still bitter about it. CLR has been a major boost to me in all my interviews.

spondee
Posts: 462
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby spondee » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:37 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:Have any hospitality suite visits actually resulted in face time with a hiring partner?


Definitely. I chatted up a recruiter and an associate in a suite while dropping off my resume, got a cell call later that day, met with a partner for an interview after all the scheduled interviews were over, and received a callback the next evening.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:54 pm

spondee wrote:
yellowjacket2012 wrote:Have any hospitality suite visits actually resulted in face time with a hiring partner?


Definitely. I chatted up a recruiter and an associate in a suite while dropping off my resume, got a cell call later that day, met with a partner for an interview after all the scheduled interviews were over, and received a callback the next evening.


nice work

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:09 pm

spondee wrote:
yellowjacket2012 wrote:Have any hospitality suite visits actually resulted in face time with a hiring partner?


Definitely. I chatted up a recruiter and an associate in a suite while dropping off my resume, got a cell call later that day, met with a partner for an interview after all the scheduled interviews were over, and received a callback the next evening.

damn, nice.
I'm pretty sure I networked my way OUT of a potential callback when I complained about big law culture, blah. So I'm just gonna stay the hell away from those "rooms" lol

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Transfer here, top 5% at school between 70 and 50, strong work experience after undergrad, on a secondary journal. 9 interviews, no callbacks, one ding. Not happy but most of my firms haven't started doing anything yet so who knows.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer here, top 5% at school between 70 and 50, strong work experience after undergrad, on a secondary journal. 9 interviews, no callbacks, one ding. Not happy but most of my firms haven't started doing anything yet so who knows.

from what I can tell - most of anyone's firms haven't started doing anything yet - with top 5% from t1 = gigs.

Are you IP?

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No there is the limit of 10 per phase. I read your post to say that you had 3 CB's from 6 screeners = only having 6 screeners. Congrats btw.

Thanks, I've basically not talked OCIP/callbacks with any Boalties because I don't want to deal with a "They took our jobs" conversation or mean glance given that I transferred in - although for my short time here I've noticed a very non-competitive vibe, with ONE really minor exception.


I really hope you don't run into this at Boalt. Last year, the competition was INSANE as a 1L. There was a lot of tension because of all the "ITE" talk. From what I gather, people are a lot more laid back this year. Grades are in, and essentially - "it is what it is." We're all just working with what we've got at this point, and a lot of us are really supportive/happy for one another. I wouldn't worry too much abt being a transfer at OCIP. :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Transfer from T2 top 1%. 1 callback and 1 ding so far, I think a second is probably in the mail since others have already heard back. I bid on a lot of smaller offices of big firms, so I hope that does come back to bite me.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273603
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Transfer from T2 top 1%. 1 callback and 1 ding so far, I think a second is probably in the mail since others have already heard back. I bid on a lot of smaller offices of big firms, so I hope that does come back to bite me.

Last week, I basically went jacket/tieless for all my interviews, and I told them, the hell with it, here I am, in all my casual glory - can't take this heat. MoFo guy joked about it, asked me if I was serious about getting a job (joked bec. I got a callback a day later)

Hopefuly that wont come back to bite me, + hope the weather stays decent over next week.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.