Berkeley OCIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Rotor

Silver

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:50 am

amyLAchemist wrote:yup, 10 of my top 11 here too.
I got my #1-#8. :D
My other two were #16 and #32. :shock:

Edit: And no, I didn't put in class conflicts that would explain such a steep drop off in availability.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:58 am

I put in my conflicts, phase 2 looks more juicy

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:07 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I put in my conflicts, phase 2 looks more juicy
Ah, I am more of a fan of Phase 1.
Theres def more firms in phase 1 but I feel like my chances are better in 2, there was a lot of IP firms in phase 1 (which i can't go near). Overall I am just happy to be here and excited that i can meet with ANY of these firms.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:10 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Yeah, I think not putting class conflicts was credited. Did anyone put conflicts?
I haven't heard of anyone doing it...but what surprises me is that it seemed every time CDO talked about OCIP mechanics, they said "WHEN you enter your class conflicts" as if it was a requirement. I know the school can't advocate skipping class, but you'd think ITE they would suggest to us how to maximize our opportunities by at least making a statement conditional "if you enter...."

With evening classes and one that doesn't start until after OCIP, I only have 6 class meetings during the week that could be impacted. With all the space in the days that leaves, I figured what are the odds that I'd get many conflicts?

10 interviews=5 of 6 class meetings impacted. Guess I can study firms rather than do the reading for next week! :lol:

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:39 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 am

bwv812 wrote: At least they let you opt out of entering conflicts. At GULC OCI is nominally before classes start, but lots of classes meet early. I know someone last year who bid all DC and only got 6 interviews. Then they released class schedules and the registrar automatically dropped him from 4 of his interviews... so he only had 2 interviews. Career Services didn't help him out at all by giving him spots that other people dropped out of or giving him priority in last-minute lotteries or anything. We also don't let people record classes because of callbacks, and we don't have a callback week.
I knew we were one of the few with a fly-back week, but the rest of this post: :shock:

I guess I'll shut up now and erase that notch in the con column for our CDO.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:10 am

I put in all of my conflicts, it didn't change anything for me #1-#9 + #16

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 am

did any of you get two screenings with the same firm?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:12 am

^^ i did not despite bidding on a few.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:07 am

yellowjacket2012 wrote:did any of you get two screenings with the same firm?
Yep. Both of my lower bids that got picked up were for a small market office in firms where I'm interviewing for the SF office. How're you feeling about it?

Most 3Ls I've talked with said it isn't a problem. But it wasn't unanimous and I'm not so sure about the message it sends: "I realllllly want Firm XYZ" or "I'm indecisive on where I want to be."

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Since I'm not doing OCI, you all get something like .001 more interviews. Clearly if you all get jobs it's because of me :)

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:57 pm

I don't know about that, but the "open slots" are pretty much gone - except for the Energy Commission

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:41 pm

How many interviews are most of you attempting to tackle next week with the open slots? Is anything more than 11-12 too much?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm doing 11, tried to do 12 but one of my open sign-ups got cancelled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 pm

I've got 13 interviews.

Anyone know how much law review will help? I have mostly Ps...

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:39 am

Even though law review membership at Boalt does not factor for class grades, it remains a strong indicator of good writing/editing ability, and obviously of making a sound legal argument, its a plus - maybe has positive correlation with grades because same legal argument strength in your competition note would apply to your law exams, but I don't know about that. I'm not sure a valid argument exists that law review membership at a top 14 law school does not help an application.

In my summer job, I met someone who had nothing BUT Hs and HHs through four semesters (he is now a 3L), is not on law review, and worries that it will affect his clerkship prospects - so there's that.

Is Berkeley's law review membership size 15% of the class size? If so, that's a pretty big plus - but I was told it is slightly more than that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:55 am

Journeybound wrote:How many interviews are most of you attempting to tackle next week with the open slots? Is anything more than 11-12 too much?
I am doing 19. I have mostly Ps.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:24 pm

yellowjacket2012 wrote:Is Berkeley's law review membership size 15% of the class size? If so, that's a pretty big plus - but I was told it is slightly more than that.
Assuming a class size of 300 (since I'm fairly certain we had more transfers in than transfers out and we were ~290 last year), it would be 17%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:51 pm

Law review is a BIG help for mostly Ps. I had some interviews pre-OCIP, and I was specifically told that with my all Ps, law review was what made the difference. I was also told I had a really good resume. So I think that having a good resume gets them interested, and then having law review tells them that you can do the work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Law review is a BIG help for mostly Ps. I had some interviews pre-OCIP, and I was specifically told that with my all Ps, law review was what made the difference. I was also told I had a really good resume. So I think that having a good resume gets them interested, and then having law review tells them that you can do the work.

I know this is nitpicking, but by good resume do you mean something legal related like being a paralegal at a big firm or having a prestigious summer internship? I'm often told I have an interesting resume, but that doesn't necessarily translate to "good."

I guess it's time to quit being paranoid and move onward!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Law review is a BIG help for mostly Ps. I had some interviews pre-OCIP, and I was specifically told that with my all Ps, law review was what made the difference. I was also told I had a really good resume. So I think that having a good resume gets them interested, and then having law review tells them that you can do the work.

I know this is nitpicking, but by good resume do you mean something legal related like being a paralegal at a big firm or having a prestigious summer internship? I'm often told I have an interesting resume, but that doesn't necessarily translate to "good."

I guess it's time to quit being paranoid and move onward!
I think mine came down to being interesting. I did have biglaw experience, but not as a paralegal. I also had a lot of work experience in various different areas. I think the diversity of my experiences is what helped. Of course, not every firm liked it - I got my share of rejection letters, too. :D

Just saying that overall, SOME firms will take law review as a substitute for Hs. Some won't care about you regardless. It helps to actively seek out the firms that aren't as gradecentric and to interview with as many of them as possible. From what I learned from 3Ls who went through this last year, people with all Ps did well when they interviewed with firms who were likely to take them. People with all Ps who only interviewed with the top firms didn't receive offers. Be realistic in your chances, but also be confident. Walk into the interview and know you're a good candidate who has something to bring to the table!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:20 pm

What is regarded as a good number of non-P grades at Berkeley to feel pretty comfortable in this economy about getting a big law firm job?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:07 am

yellowjacket2012 wrote:What is regarded as a good number of non-P grades at Berkeley to feel pretty comfortable in this economy about getting a big law firm job?
3 Hs is around median. 5 Hs puts you in the top 1/3 or so. Not sure if top 1/3 should feel comfortable about getting biglaw based on the Columbia thread, so I'd say, 6+ Hs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:24 am

Just wanted to note that people with all Ps *have* gotten offers in biglaw, both last year and this year (for people who interviewed early outside of OCIP in other locations). It is not impossible. In fact, biglaw is a serious reality for people with all Ps who take the initiative to interview outside of OCIP. I'd say PM me for specifics, but I am remaining anonymous. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to note that people with all Ps *have* gotten offers in biglaw, both last year and this year (for people who interviewed early outside of OCIP in other locations). It is not impossible. In fact, biglaw is a serious reality for people with all Ps who take the initiative to interview outside of OCIP. I'd say PM me for specifics, but I am remaining anonymous. :D
Are these people IP/LR? Seems unlikely to get an offer without at least IP or LR.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”