Berkeley OCIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What does top 40% look like? 4 Hs? 3 Hs?
4 Hs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Ya I'm the poster from a couple earlier, i think thats what 4Hs is. Minor point, HH is worth more like 2.5 or three Hs so im not sure how to factor that. In any case, I think a lot of firms are trying to get the cream of the crop and hopefully will call me next, let's all keep our fingers crossed :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:31 am

Is CLR regarded as a definite plus? When I was defensive about not making CLR at an OCIP interview (not sure how the topic came up, I guess we were talking about how my 2L year has been so far in these first few weeks), a v10 partner was pretty dismissive about it and said it was totally disconnected from grades, so firms didn't really regard it in the same way as they did other schools' flagship law reviews. He flat out said that it was equivalent to the other journals, so as long as I was doing something - that was good.

How have firms responded to the CLR folks? Is this a major talking point? I think Berkeley should switch to a partial grade-on CLR, partial grade+write-on, and very small pure write-on spots. I think this system hurts us more than it helps us.

Also, I'm beginning to think that Boalt should indicate class standing in some way on the transcript (top 10%, top 25%) like they do for clerkships. The HH, H, P grading scheme is fine - just help us get a gig.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: So this makes me curious - I got invited to a dinner hosted by Gibson Dunn when they were here - if THAT many people interviewed, I wonder if I'm on some kind of special list? That would be awesome!
Also, dinner was after Day 1. If dinner were determinative, no one from Day 2 would be called back.

I actually think the overflow plan is a stroke of genius by GD. They get to do an end run around the lottery while at the same time sending the message to students how willing they are to bend over backward for their people (and potential people).
They also had a dinner after Day 2 for the Day 2 folks.

Additionally I was under the impression that everyone who didn't get a screening interview through the lottery was offered an opportunity to sign up for an overflow spot (correct me if I'm wrong)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:52 am

so sounds like Gibson Dunn dinner meant jack as far as their interest level in me, they kinda cast a jumbo net, reeled in every Boalt student, and gave us false hope.

Thanks Gibson.
Thanks Dunn.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is CLR regarded as a definite plus? When I was defensive about not making CLR at an OCIP interview (not sure how the topic came up, I guess we were talking about how my 2L year has been so far in these first few weeks), a v10 partner was pretty dismissive about it and said it was totally disconnected from grades, so firms didn't really regard it in the same way as they did other schools' flagship law reviews. He flat out said that it was equivalent to the other journals, so as long as I was doing something - that was good.

How have firms responded to the CLR folks? Is this a major talking point? I think Berkeley should switch to a partial grade-on CLR, partial grade+write-on, and very small pure write-on spots. I think this system hurts us more than it helps us.

Also, I'm beginning to think that Boalt should indicate class standing in some way on the transcript (top 10%, top 25%) like they do for clerkships. The HH, H, P grading scheme is fine - just help us get a gig.

some interviewers have commended me on it or even circled it on my resume stating that it shows i'm a "good writer." i want to do litigation so that helps. others only care about grades.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:09 pm

CB: Fish & Richardson, Orrick, Fenwick, Goodwin Procter, Knobbe
Ding: Davis Polk, O'Melveny, Latham, Mofo, WilmerHale, Winston & Strawn, Morgan Lewis
Silence: (too much silence to list)

(Tech background, patent lit interest, no CLR, below median)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:28 pm

So are phase 1 callbacks and dings done then? I've got radio silence for a couple of phase 1'ers, but I'm going to assume ding unless you guys know something I don't.

Phase 2 has been silent for me - like totally - anybody got phase 2 callbacks yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So are phase 1 callbacks and dings done then? I've got radio silence for a couple of phase 1'ers, but I'm going to assume ding unless you guys know something I don't.

Phase 2 has been silent for me - like totally - anybody got phase 2 callbacks yet?
I have gotten two. I still have a lot of silence from Phase 1 as well. I am the IP person above.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:27 pm

how'd you get the rest of them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm a transfer, and I find the Nuts & Boalts saga regarding transfers thing pretty hilarious. I'm kinda shocked that hasn't happened here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Same. I think that a lot of the stress from OCIP is being taken out on the transfers. However, everyone who I've spoken to in person has been SUPER nice. This school is amazing. And I'm cool with the laid back philosophy. That's why I chose to transfer here instead of other schools.

However, I was one of the two transfers "talking about call backs" in the student center on Friday. I was shocked at how public that guy/girl made our conversation by posting it on Nuts and Boalts. I had been afraid to speak to anyone about my one or two call backs, so I consciously looked around and made sure no one was in the room, then I proceeded to whisper. I wanted to talk to that other person so that I could find out about the firms because that person had hinted to me that they had call backs at the same firms that I did! In no way was I bragging or intending others to hear our conversation. If I can't talk about the pros and Conns of different firms at school, I don't know where to do it. The person complaining had to have stopped around the corner or something and strained to hear what we were talking about. In fact, I might be horribly mistaken about it being me since I'm not sure anyone could have heard us.

Sorry, I had to vent about that. After I read that person's comment on Nuts and Boalts singling me out, I felt horribly guilty. I went into an interview right after that feeling down, which probably didn't help me. Now looking back at it, I'm a little bit astonished about how big of a deal was made of my "whispering" in front of "no one".

Everyone just needs to chill out and do their best. It doesn't help to snap at each other - especially new students who feel alone in a foreign environment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:26 pm

I think you should've done morse code dude.. stick to morse code next time..

Did you miss our transfers only meeting where we developed our own sign language?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so I consciously looked around and made sure no one was in the room, then I proceeded to whisper.
man.. this is whack, its a job interview - not genital herpes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:13 am

fwiw, 2Ls can't really distinguish between other supermods/transfers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:fwiw, 2Ls can't really distinguish between other supermods/transfers.
That's not true at all, I have just as many if not more friends from other supermods. General word to transfers: I think Boalt did a really poor job by not having some event to introduce yourselves to us, and kind of randomly dropped ~47 of you in the classes. Just wanted to say please feel welcome to introduce yourselves and hang with us, I'm still hanging out with new people from my class and meeting a bunch of cool new people i didn't know last year. The friends I've made are easily the best part of Boalt, and at times last year were the people who kept me from quiting when shit got tough, so don't miss out on joining an awesome community of people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:38 am

From my perspective as a transfer the matriculating boalties have been nothing but nice and encouraging. FWIW I haven't seen any of this callback announcing behavior mentioned above. I think there was a good camaraderie in the hallways of the Durant all week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:07 am

Omelveny ding by snail mail Saturday.

Have a great Labor Day everyone. And here's to a huge wave of good news for everyone post holiday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Did anyone hear from Covington DC, or any other DC firms for that matter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is CLR regarded as a definite plus? When I was defensive about not making CLR at an OCIP interview (not sure how the topic came up, I guess we were talking about how my 2L year has been so far in these first few weeks), a v10 partner was pretty dismissive about it and said it was totally disconnected from grades, so firms didn't really regard it in the same way as they did other schools' flagship law reviews. He flat out said that it was equivalent to the other journals, so as long as I was doing something - that was good.

I was specifically told that having CLR made up for my heavily P laden transcript. Callbacks at 3 firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm

As mentioned previously, CLR's effect depends on the firm. I know a few straight P, LR 3Ls who got locked out completely despite having a good number of callbacks (6+) last year. I also know some that landed an offer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:39 pm

friend was never asked about CLR, so she proactively pointed at it on her resume, interviewer said, that's nice - but your transcript is what I'm interesting in asking you questions about.

Not surprisingly, no callback.

On the other hand, friend with just 1H and CLR saw an employer write "good writer" on her resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Every single person I've talked to at Boalt is happy with how Phase 1 turned out wrt callbacks; CLR or not.
IP students seem to report multiple callbacks. I'm going to guess this has always been the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As mentioned previously, CLR's effect depends on the firm. I know a few straight P, LR 3Ls who got locked out completely despite having a good number of callbacks (6+) last year. I also know some that landed an offer.
Lets rewind here; 1) are there straight P on CLR? Seems unlikely; 2) firms will base an offer decision for a 3L based on LR, and not their body of work over the summer? Seems unlikely?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:09 pm

why does straight P on CLR seem unlikely?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”