NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:51 pm

anyone know what they are?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone know what they are?


3.5 cutoff from what school? or school range? 3.5 has very different meanings depending on your school

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:26 am

how about CN vs MVP

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:20 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone know what they are?


3.5 cutoff from what school? or school range? 3.5 has very different meanings depending on your school


CCN

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Don't post that info publicly. Ask Career Services.

toaster2
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby toaster2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:48 pm

.
Last edited by toaster2 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:04 pm

toaster2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't post that info publicly. Ask Career Services.
why?


In the past, cutoffs have been posted on the internet at and some firms saw their "peer" firms had higher GPA cutoffs. They raised their GPA cutoffs to match. Even if that's a just a cautionary CSO myth, there's no sense in risking it by posting GPA cutoffs when it takes 2 seconds to call Career Services and ask.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby bwv812 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 pm

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Renzo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:57 pm

bwv812 wrote: I can't imagine a firm changing it's actual hiring practices just because "peer" firms may have different cutoffs.

Are you kidding me? Can you imagine a firm laying off dozens of lawyers who never worked a day for the firm, just so the firm can post better per partner profits than its peers?

All that matters in biglaw is prestige; why wouldn't firms change their behavior to prove how "prestigious" they are?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273166
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 am

bwv812 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
toaster2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't post that info publicly. Ask Career Services.
why?


In the past, cutoffs have been posted on the internet at and some firms saw their "peer" firms had higher GPA cutoffs. They raised their GPA cutoffs to match. Even if that's a just a cautionary CSO myth, there's no sense in risking it by posting GPA cutoffs when it takes 2 seconds to call Career Services and ask.

What's with the anon?

This sounds like a myth to me, and I can't imagine a firm changing it's actual hiring practices just because "peer" firms may have different cutoffs.

Anyway, if I call your school's career services, do you think they'll tell me the info? What about prospective students? Don't you think this info might be useful to students at peer schools, especially if their career services offices aren't as forthcoming?


1) Anonymous because I obviously go to one of these schools and don't want to out myself.

2) Like I said above, it may be a myth, but it's straight from CSO's mouth. So why risk it?

3) No, my CSO isn't going to tell you the grade cut-offs. Why would you need to know that if you don't go to my school?

4) No, CSO isn't going to tell prospective students. They don't need to know that info now, and the cutoffs change from year-to-year, so it's not going to do any good anyway.

5) Even if students at other schools want to know, and even if prospective students have some need to know, it's a bad idea to risk any potential downsides to ACTUAL students' career prospects solely for the slight benefit of prospectives and people from other schools. Duh.

6) If students from other schools or prospectives want to know, they could ask 2Ls and 3Ls privately, or by PM, or whatever, rather than posting private information on a public message board.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:1) Anonymous because I obviously go to one of these schools and don't want to out myself.

2) Like I said above, it may be a myth, but it's straight from CSO's mouth. So why risk it?

3) No, my CSO isn't going to tell you the grade cut-offs. Why would you need to know that if you don't go to my school?

4) No, CSO isn't going to tell prospective students. They don't need to know that info now, and the cutoffs change from year-to-year, so it's not going to do any good anyway.

5) Even if students at other schools want to know, and even if prospective students have some need to know, it's a bad idea to risk any potential downsides to ACTUAL students' career prospects solely for the slight benefit of prospectives and people from other schools. Duh.

6) If students from other schools or prospectives want to know, they could ask 2Ls and 3Ls privately, or by PM, or whatever, rather than posting private information on a public message board.

Stated succinctly, we know but 0Ls don't need to know.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby bwv812 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:27 am

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bwv812
Posts: 548
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby bwv812 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:51 am

.
Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: NY firms with 3.5 grade cutoffs

Postby Renzo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:32 pm

bwv812 wrote: Does firm culture or interviewee personality have anything to do with hiring, or are firms all just prestige whoring the hell out of their applicants?

Yes, after the prestige-whoring is done, they no-offer the people that don't have personality. Seriously, what other industry would publish a Vault guide (ranking firms based 100% on prestige) and take it as gospel?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.