Acquiring EU citizenship - good idea? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawls

Bronze

Acquiring EU citizenship - good idea?

Post by lawls » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:28 am

I an 0L who will be attending law school Fall 2011, probably at Harvard or Yale (very strong numbers, good softs, so at least one should work out). In the meantime, I have the chance to acquire my EU citizenship without too much hassle. I'm not looking to emigrate immediately, but I have thought that pursuing employment opportunities, or foreign exchange programs while in school--Harvard especially seems to have some interesting opportunities, though I've only started to research them--might be affected, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

My long term goal is to pursue academia, and I am particularly interested in comparative work (I have already pursued some graduate work to this effect, and expect to be doing cross-disciplinary work). So my major reason for thinking about EU citizenship is that it might make foreign appointments easier, and the EU might be an eventual destination. I realize the obvious point that I'll have an American JD, but given the potential reach of, say, Harvard, I could use some insight as to what kind of opportunities or pitfalls I might face with dual-citizenship.

Thanks in advance!

Teoeo

Silver

Re: Acquiring EU citizenship - good idea?

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:50 am

Being a dual citizen (USA//Spain), I can only think of one small pitfall: having trouble working for the US government in some sort of diplomatic post (if they consider you to have a conflict of interest). Other than that, I can't think of a single reason not to become a member of the EU, it's awesome! =D

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:13 am

Teoeo wrote:Being a dual citizen (USA//Spain), I can only think of one small pitfall: having trouble working for the US government in some sort of diplomatic post (if they consider you to have a conflict of interest). Other than that, I can't think of a single reason not to become a member of the EU, it's awesome! =D
This goes beyond diplomatic missions. Anything where you'll need to pass a federal background check will want to you to prove your loyalty to the US, including wanting a good explanation as to why you sought citizenship in another country as an adult.

thisguy456

Bronze

Post by thisguy456 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:15 am

Teoeo wrote:Being a dual citizen (USA//Spain), I can only think of one small pitfall: having trouble working for the US government in some sort of diplomatic post (if they consider you to have a conflict of interest). Other than that, I can't think of a single reason not to become a member of the EU, it's awesome! =D
Teoeo and Renzo are correct. Since it seems inevitable that you will be attending Harvard or Yale, be wary of the potential pitfalls concerning the highest job positions in the U.S. Upon your nomination to positions of counsel in Department of State, Defense, White House, or Attorney General, the administration and voters at large may ask, quite frankly, whose side are you on? You will be asked to renounce that citizenship.

Perhaps for positions such as ambassadorships--for which you are undoubtedly being groomed--a dual citizenship may help, just as long as you are not, again, being asked to renounce the citizenship before taking the post.

As a plus, though, it can only help your bona fides as professor at the highest institutions, the doors of which continue to remain open for you. Establishing research abroad on prevalent EU policy concerns and issues will only be aided by your standing as an official EU citizen.

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:45 am

Thanks all for the very good information thus far. I really hadn't thought about how dual-citizenship would affect government employment, though I obviously should have. Would there be a similar hurdle if, for instance, one wanted to work for high-level think tanks that are geared towards public policy (granted that the effect would be different depending on the organization)? Or is this strictly a concern regarding government employment?
Last edited by lawls on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:52 am

lawls wrote:Thanks all for the very good information thus far. I really hadn't thought about how dual-citizenship would affect government employment, though I obviously should have. Would there be a similar hurdle if, for instance, one wanted to work for high-level think tanks that are geared towards public policy (granted that the effect would be different depending on the organization)? Or is this strictly a concern regarding government employment?
Generally speaking, you don't have to be loyal to the US to work in academia/think tanks. Plenty of foreign-born, non-citizens in such fields.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:37 am

Renzo wrote:
lawls wrote:Thanks all for the very good information thus far. I really hadn't thought about how dual-citizenship would affect government employment, though I obviously should have. Would there be a similar hurdle if, for instance, one wanted to work for high-level think tanks that are geared towards public policy (granted that the effect would be different depending on the organization)? Or is this strictly a concern regarding government employment?
Generally speaking, you don't have to be loyal to the US to work in academia/think tanks. Plenty of foreign-born, non-citizens in such fields.

+1

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 am

It would be an issue with any positions that require a security clearance.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:12 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:57 am

I'm not sure about how dual citizenship would affect this, but if I were you I would check out eligibility requirements for things like the Fulbright, USIP, or other fellowships that people pursuing academia tend to use. Some of them may have requirements stipulating you can only be a US citizen. I don't remember any specifically mentioning dual citizenship but it might be in the fine print somewhere.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:46 pm

ArmyVet07 wrote:
It would be an issue with any positions that require a security clearance.
This. The US permits dual citizenship but that doesn't mean you're not going to get raked for it if you need a security clearance.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:10 pm

You'd be crazy not to take EU citizenship...there are so many of us that would jump at that opportunity. If you are going to Harvard or something you needn't worry about having to take a government job.

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:32 pm

General Tso wrote:If you are going to Harvard or something you needn't worry about having to take a government job.
Government work isn't a fall-back for everyone. For some of us, it's the goal. And many of the elite federal government attorney positions (OLC, State Dept Office of the Legal Adviser, etc.) are just as competitive as the fanciest firm jobs.

It's also worth noting that security clearances aren't limited to government jobs. Some private-sector positions also require clearances (e.g., in the government contracts and homeland security practice groups at some large firms).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:52 pm

jonas wrote:
General Tso wrote:If you are going to Harvard or something you needn't worry about having to take a government job.
Government work isn't a fall-back for everyone. For some of us, it's the goal. And many of the elite federal government attorney positions (OLC, State Dept Office of the Legal Adviser, etc.) are just as competitive as the fanciest firm jobs.
Obviously I know this...OP's posts don't make it seem like government work is his goal.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:04 pm

General Tso wrote:You'd be crazy not to take EU citizenship...there are so many of us that would jump at that opportunity. If you are going to Harvard or something you needn't worry about having to take a government job.
Plus, you could ditch out on your student loans and go live wherever else you have citizenship!

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:07 pm

General Tso wrote:You'd be crazy not to take EU citizenship...there are so many of us that would jump at that opportunity. If you are going to Harvard or something you needn't worry about having to take a government job.
You should be hung for treason.

Have fun living here OP
--ImageRemoved--

lawls

Bronze

Post by lawls » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 am

Thanks again for all the additional insight.

About fellowships etc., most of the applications I've seen only specify that you need to be a U.S. citizen, and don't forbid/mention dual-citizenship, so I think I'm o.k. on that front. I will dig deeper though, and it is a good suggestion. Perhaps EU citizenship would open up fellowships and the like in Europe? My academic work does deal with European policy concerns, so the connection isn't trivial.

The government angle--government work and government contracts--is making me pause a little, as I do have a secondary interest in federal government jobs.

Are there any particular benefits to obtaining EU citizenship--other than people wanting/liking to live in the EU--that might be worth specifying? I mean, other than leaving Freedom for an Islamic Empire (cf. picture above)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:55 am

--ImageRemoved--

To the OP, I think it would be pretty sweet to be cleared to work anywhere in the EU. I can't see much of a reason to avoid it unless your plan is to work for the state department or something.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:04 am

thisguy456 wrote:
Teoeo and Renzo are correct. Since it seems inevitable that you will be attending Harvard or Yale, be wary of the potential pitfalls concerning the highest job positions in the U.S. Upon your nomination to positions of counsel in Department of State, Defense, White House, or Attorney General, the administration and voters at large may ask, quite frankly, whose side are you on? You will be asked to renounce that citizenship.

Perhaps for positions such as ambassadorships--for which you are undoubtedly being groomed--a dual citizenship may help, just as long as you are not, again, being asked to renounce the citizenship before taking the post.

As a plus, though, it can only help your bona fides as professor at the highest institutions, the doors of which continue to remain open for you. Establishing research abroad on prevalent EU policy concerns and issues will only be aided by your standing as an official EU citizen.
That was a very funny post, props. Also, OP, you should be advised the cold war is over and the stars and stripes won. Better to wise up sooner rather than later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 am

As someone who is ALSO a dual EU/US passport holder, GO FOR IT.

For all the folks looking in the crystal ball into the future, when you actually
a) get in
b) graduate
c) get big govt/security job

won't giving up the EU passport be a nice problem to have? Until said time, at least you get through the express lane at Heathrow!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”