character and fitness Q

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

character and fitness Q

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:58 pm

For what reasons other than financial irresponsiblity and criminal behavior and blatant lying do ppl get denied by C&F?

I am worried about my PS/DS - I may have exaggerated about certain things too much. I don't know if any of it is verifiable, and none of it is a lie, but it might be a little much - i.e. I dramatize the impoverishment of my neighborhood I grew up in (but I don't name it, and I guess they don't ask this question, so Idk if they would even be able to check this, or if they'd actually think to).

miamiman

Re: character and fitness Q

Postby miamiman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For what reasons other than financial irresponsiblity and criminal behavior and blatant lying do ppl get denied by C&F?

I am worried about my PS/DS - I may have exaggerated about certain things too much. I don't know if any of it is verifiable, and none of it is a lie, but it might be a little much - i.e. I dramatize the impoverishment of my neighborhood I grew up in (but I don't name it, and I guess they don't ask this question, so Idk if they would even be able to check this, or if they'd actually think to).

1) wrong use of the anonymous feature (though, that's not my beef -- it's the mods')

2) if in doubt, err towards honesty. always.

GermX

Postby GermX » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:11 pm

Do they seriously look up your PS and DS lol?

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't think they look at your PS/DS.... but you should always be honest. Being a lawyer, that is sort of like a prereq. You shouldn't have overexaggerated ANYTHING!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:58 pm

sadly my essays are past tense. the exaggerations arent severe, but still. anyone have any insight in how the bar looks at essays and such?

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any insight in how the bar looks at essays and such?

My state requires applicants to submit the applications to the law schools they attended, including all attachments.

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 pm

ggocat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any insight in how the bar looks at essays and such?

My state requires applicants to submit the applications to the law schools they attended, including all attachments.

I'm pretty sure they ask LSAC to submit your admissions materials everywhere. Or I'm guessing the admissions office sends them the applications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:00 pm

howcani111 wrote:
ggocat wrote:

I'm pretty sure they ask LSAC to submit your admissions materials everywhere. Or I'm guessing the admissions office sends them the applications?

Yea, I know, but is this something I should be worried about ? - i.e. I wrote about working full-time at one point and my hours ranged from 30-40 hours/week, but not always 40 ("full time," right?).

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
howcani111 wrote:
ggocat wrote:

Yea, I know, but is this something I should be worried about ? - i.e. I wrote about working full-time at one point and my hours ranged from 30-40 hours/week, but not always 40 ("full time," right?).

I seriously doubt that will be an issue, haha.

AJRESQ

Postby AJRESQ » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Short answer: Depends on your JDX. I am licensed in PA and NJ. PA was pretty much like "whatever", NJ was like "ZOMG PARKING TICKETS!"

Long answer: I got into a lot of trouble in college... mostly as a result of drinking and having too much fun. I also had parking tickets and bad credit as a result of being poor growing up. I fixed my credit right before the bar and had no issues. However, I had once sold a car to a junk yard and they kept the plate on it. Some jerk ran up a bunch of tickets that I got stuck with. PA bar said "whatever". NJ bar made me go fight all of the tickets and deal with it in court, blah blah blah. Zero trouble in law school.

I don't know anyone who was kept out of law because of C&F. Well, I know one guy, but he had like a million DUIs and got into a ton of trouble in law school. I mean fights, DUIs, the whole 9 yards. The bar is mostly concerned with you stealing money from clients or just acting like a jackass once you get licensed. I wouldn't worry too much about C&F. It takes a lot not to get admitted. I'm not talking something stupid here and there... I'm talking a long pattern of just being a jackass or dishonesty.

AJRESQ

Postby AJRESQ » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sadly my essays are past tense. the exaggerations arent severe, but still. anyone have any insight in how the bar looks at essays and such?

They are way too busy doing other things. They're going to look at all the stuff you disclosed, get all the records, maybe review it, and be done with it. I wouldn't worry for even a second. The only things that will keep you from getting admitted:

- Crimes of dishonesty
- Pattern of jackassery, like consistent DUIs, fights, stupidity, etc.
- Lying, cheating, or stealing

They don't have the resources to scrutinize the essay of each applicant. To say the least. Plus a lot of that stuff is contextual. Again, I have only met one person who was C&F barred. I do know someone who got some flak from the NJ bar, but it involved attempted arson. So... yeah.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 pm

thanks very much all. i feel pretty guilty about it but at least im no longer worried about being denied based on it

AJRESQ

Postby AJRESQ » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:thanks very much all. i feel pretty guilty about it but at least im no longer worried about being denied based on it

I racked up like a billion dollars worth of parking tickets while in college. They put a boot on my car in retaliation. I tried to blowtorch the boot off. This, in in addition to like 3 write-ups for drinking violations, or maybe 4. Plus bad credit (which I fixed). My essays were also exaggerated.

...yeah.

But I was admitted to two start bars with no problem. NJ was more concerned with the outstanding parking tickets.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:34 pm

AJRESQ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:thanks very much all. i feel pretty guilty about it but at least im no longer worried about being denied based on it

I racked up like a billion dollars worth of parking tickets while in college. They put a boot on my car in retaliation. I tried to blowtorch the boot off. This, in in addition to like 3 write-ups for drinking violations, or maybe 4. Plus bad credit (which I fixed). My essays were also exaggerated.

...yeah.

But I was admitted to two start bars with no problem. NJ was more concerned with the outstanding parking tickets.

Why am I not surprised :lol: :).

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:45 pm

Yeah there shouldn't be anything to worry about, in fact in my state there is various case law in regard to the C&F and the only individuals rejected were overtly racist (proud member of the klan) or those that just simply refused to be honest with the C&F board.

Return to “Legal Employment”