Lack of WE: The Silent Killer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stratocophic

Lack of WE: The Silent Killer?

Postby stratocophic » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:03 am

A large amount of the employment advice given out recently seems to stress the importance of substantive WE for 1/2L and even post-grad hiring. Are n00b college grads SOL? Is this any more true for patent law hiring given the nature of the work?

Hitachi

Re: Lack of WE: The Silent Killer?

Postby Hitachi » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:19 am

Most people don't have any useful work experience, and most get jobs (at good schools). It's an advantage to have, but certainly not a big problem to lack - more of a default. I don't know much about IP law, but I'd guess at worst you wouldn't get as big an IP boost as normal.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:37 pm

I have been wondering for a while if a majority of the surprising "0 offer" folks at top schools came straight from UG. It seems a little too reductionist, though...

steve_nash

Postby steve_nash » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Hitachi wrote:Most people don't have any useful work experience, and most get jobs (at good schools). It's an advantage to have, but certainly not a big problem to lack - more of a default. I don't know much about IP law, but I'd guess at worst you wouldn't get as big an IP boost as normal.

This seems pretty accurate. I went straight from undergrad to law school and got a good firm job. I have a few other friends without WE, but with top 10% grades, that also got good jobs.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:29 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Personally, I think WE can do a great deal to offset any other potential negatives, for example mediocre grades. I don't think it is a killer, but I wouldn't want to be bottom-third straight out of UG.

From what I understand, a WE in patent/IP law is substantially important.

It's debtor's prison for me then :cry:

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:28 am

Work experience is my ace in the hole this OCI. Namely, work experience at the firm that is my #1 bid.

Return to “Legal Employment”