Loyola Patent Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola Patent Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone on this board happen to get an interview with Proctor & Gamble, and if so, would you mind sharing stats?

top third, t20

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone on this board happen to get an interview with Proctor & Gamble, and if so, would you mind sharing stats?

Huh. I didn't even realize they were one of the companies interviewing. I filtered for my degree (EE), so they didn't show up for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Huh. I didn't even realize they were one of the companies interviewing. I filtered for my degree (EE), so they didn't show up for me.

I wonder why. :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Obviously for the explained reason I gave in my post... :roll:

Westmalle

Postby Westmalle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Obviously for the explained reason I gave in my post... :roll:

pwned. Nice one, despite the eye rolling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:16 pm

rayiner wrote:
yellowjacket2012 wrote:I would NOT reject a law firm if they want to talk to you. That is crazy talk. In this economy, you cannot be serious. Based on my conversation with someone at my present 1L SA firm, firms have a much lower bar for Loyola pre-selects than they do for screening interviews done via cold-calls or law school OCIs. This could be just reflecting on my own firm from this summer, but I assume its the case for all firms. They're flying down to Chicago in some cases, they're going to want to interview all day for both days, so they would pack in as many kids as they can. Having said that, 20, 25, or whatever number of pre-selects some kids are getting - you gotta be mindful of that.

Quoted for f--king truth.

IP folks with great grades are striking ou ITE. Only a few, mind you, but sometimes you just get unlucky, and the orgy of hiring doesn't exist anymore to drown out the occasional bad interview. You should seek out every single chance you can.

Hey. It's anonymous posting making bad decision :) Before I read all your responses, I ended up dropping six of my 24 preselects. (I cleared a lunch break for myself both days).

Part of my reasoning is that both days the firms that I was most excited about were my last interviews.

I definitely will feel stupid if I end up with no call backs. But if I get at least four callback offers I will be happy.

I just found out I made my school's law review, so hopefully that will give me a boost.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:10 pm

I personally would want to work for a huge patent firm (Finnegan, Ropes and Gray, Fish and Richardson) [no, I don't have interviews at all of these], a vault 50 firm with at least moderately strong IP, or an IP firm that dominates its market (for example, in Chicago or other non-DC major city).

None of those firms is doing particularly well. It's better to work for a general commercial firm with a strong IP practice, so you can get the heck out of dodge of IP work dries up.

dreman510

Postby dreman510 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:08 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
I personally would want to work for a huge patent firm (Finnegan, Ropes and Gray, Fish and Richardson) [no, I don't have interviews at all of these], a vault 50 firm with at least moderately strong IP, or an IP firm that dominates its market (for example, in Chicago or other non-DC major city).

None of those firms is doing particularly well. It's better to work for a general commercial firm with a strong IP practice, so you can get the heck out of dodge of IP work dries up.

Ummm...Ropes is a general firm with a huge IP practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:13 pm

NYAssociate wrote:

Out of curiosity, what would a patent prosecution associate transition into if the patent work dried up? Would a big firm actually be willing to move you into a different group? I am not doubting you, but I am genuinely curious. I just assumed such an unlucky person would have to find patent work elsewhere.

handlebutton

Postby handlebutton » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:

Out of curiosity, what would a patent prosecution associate transition into if the patent work dried up? Would a big firm actually be willing to move you into a different group? I am not doubting you, but I am genuinely curious. I just assumed such an unlucky person would have to find patent work elsewhere.

That's one downside to being an non-general practitioner, they would likely keep themselves busy at their firm doing transactional work, portfolio maintenance, or something similar, until a new batch of work came along.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:50 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:17 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
Ummm...Ropes is a general firm with a huge IP practice.

Yes, but Ropes isn't doing well. If that's your only offer, take it and run laughing to the bank. But if you have better options, look elsewhere.

I actually don't know much about patent prosecution. I was just thinking of IP litigation more broadly.

Hey, this was the poster who first asked about Ropes. I didn't know Ropes wasn't doing well. How do you find out whether a firm is struggling? I've been checking out rankings (Vault, Chambers, etc), and the information seems too delayed on those rankings to give a sense of whether a firm is now struggling.

I am not interested in patent prosecution. I'm definitely interested in litigation. I think I would rather do general civil litigation than patent prosecution. But I do have a Ph.D. in science, so I think that would be a waste. (My Ph.D. qualifies me for pharma-type work--chem and bio patents and litigation--and not EE-type work).

I am hoping for a exactly what you, NYassociate, are suggesting might be a good idea in this economy: "general commercial firm with a strong IP practice." This is the type of firm I would prefer even if the economy was stronger.

Can you suggest some of the best? In New York, D.C., or California?

I have a chance to bid for firms for my schools on-campus interviews.

I just received good news about grades and journals (and I'm at one of the best law schools), so I think that I have a chance at even the most competitive general firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:24 am

If we get a callback interview from a firm at the job fair, does anyone know when that callback interview would be?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:53 am

22 interviews total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:13 am

stats?

Return to “Legal Employment”