Basic resume question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Basic resume question

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:48 pm

I have a resume question and figure this is the place to ask. I'm redoing my resume for the fall, and want to list three different positions that I had with one organization over the course of several years. How should this be displayed? Right now, I have:

Organization name, location
Position 1 Timeframe 1
Position 2 Timeframe 2
Position 3 Timeframe 3
Description of position 1.
Description of position 2.
Description of position 3.

Is this correct, or should the formatting be different? I have no line spaces between the descriptions of these positions. My issue is that for position 1, I am writing about 1.5 lines. I am then ending that second line, for position 1, prematurely and hopping down to describe position 2, so that these descriptions have a structure parallel to the position/timeframe structure above. It looks kind of off.
Thanks.
(And I'm posting anonymously because I fear I'd get flamed for even asking this lol.)

Geat27

Re: Basic resume question

Postby Geat27 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:52 pm

I would consider putting each position's description immediately under the position and timeframe.

nylaw23

Postby nylaw23 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 pm

I think the format you have makes the reader have to jump around too much. Instead you have the description right under the position. Like...

Position 1 Timeframe 1

Position 2 Timeframe 2

Position 3 Timeframe 3

For my resume, I have the organization name bolded and then I have the positions italized, not bolded (like above). You should also have a space between the positions, although you do not need a space between the organization name and first position.
And just a suggestion, for formatting questions like this, you probably do not need to resort to online forums. I advise you ask your real friends and DEFINITELY TALK TO YOUR CAREER SERVICES PEOPLE!!! If you have not had someone review your resume yet, I highly recommend you do so.

GL

CG614

Postby CG614 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:07 pm

You guys are crazy, trying to be all organized. I like to do it like this:
Position 2
Description 3
Position 1
Position 3
Description 2
Description 1

HTH!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:45 pm

nylaw23 wrote:I think the format you have makes the reader have to jump around too much. Instead you have the description right under the position. Like...

Position 1 Timeframe 1

Position 2 Timeframe 2

Position 3 Timeframe 3

For my resume, I have the organization name bolded and then I have the positions italized, not bolded (like above). You should also have a space between the positions, although you do not need a space between the organization name and first position.
And just a suggestion, for formatting questions like this, you probably do not need to resort to online forums. I advise you ask your real friends and DEFINITELY TALK TO YOUR CAREER SERVICES PEOPLE!!! If you have not had someone review your resume yet, I highly recommend you do so.

GL

Thanks!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Just scrawl something in crayon on a napkin and call it a day.

Return to “Legal Employment”