B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Geat27
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Geat27 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:36 pm

I finished my first year with a B- gpa. I'm at a school that's near the bottom of the Top 10. My grades improved from my first to second semester and I'm hoping that that can help me show them in a better light. I'm especially interested in the Boston and Detroit markets, but am willing to go anywhere. Where should I bid?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Geat27 wrote:I finished my first year with a B- gpa. I'm at a school that's near the bottom of the Top 10. My grades improved from my first to second semester and I'm hoping that that can help me show them in a better light. I'm especially interested in the Boston and Detroit markets, but am willing to go anywhere. Where should I bid?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Are you from Boston? That might help quite a bit. It's a very closed market.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:38 pm

How can your grades have improved to a B- average?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:47 pm

mallard wrote:How can your grades have improved to a B- average?

Suspension of disbelief my friend. Walk into the flame telling yourself that there is no fire.

User avatar
Geat27
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Geat27 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:51 pm

mallard wrote:How can your grades have improved to a B- average?


Well, it is possible. Let's just say my first semester grades were very low. By the way, if the best thing for me is to forgo OCI altogether, I'd like to know that!

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby mallard » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:52 pm

Geat27 wrote:
mallard wrote:How can your grades have improved to a B- average?


Well, it is possible. Let's just say my first semester grades were very low. By the way, if the best thing for me is to forgo OCI altogether, I'd like to know that!


I think there's a distinct possibility OCI will be a waste of your time, but if you're at Michigan, it's possible you'll make some headway with Detroit firms. I know next to nothing about that market.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Geat27 wrote:
mallard wrote:How can your grades have improved to a B- average?


Well, it is possible. Let's just say my first semester grades were very low. By the way, if the best thing for me is to forgo OCI altogether, I'd like to know that!

It's never a good idea to forego OCI altogether. If you try and don't get any interviews, then you try and don't get any interviews.

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby MVPson » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Bid on firms w/low 3 GPAs. If you're from Michigan, bid heavily in the Detroit market. If there's no Michigan firms with low 3 GPAs, bid them anyway. Bid all the Michigan firms. If you're not from Boston and lack ties to Boston, forget about Boston. Very insular and selective market.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on getting a job at OCI, but you should bid anyway. You paid for it, might as well experience it.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 am

mallard wrote:
Geat27 wrote:
mallard wrote:How can your grades have improved to a B- average?


Well, it is possible. Let's just say my first semester grades were very low. By the way, if the best thing for me is to forgo OCI altogether, I'd like to know that!


I think there's a distinct possibility OCI will be a waste of your time, but if you're at Michigan, it's possible you'll make some headway with Detroit firms. I know next to nothing about that market.


Gosh you are harsh. He did poor in school but that is no reason to send him the hell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:54 am

MVPson wrote:Bid on firms w/low 3 GPAs. If you're from Michigan, bid heavily in the Detroit market. If there's no Michigan firms with low 3 GPAs, bid them anyway. Bid all the Michigan firms. If you're not from Boston and lack ties to Boston, forget about Boston. Very insular and selective market.

I wouldn't bet the ranch on getting a job at OCI, but you should bid anyway. You paid for it, might as well experience it.


how do we find firm GPAs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 am

If you're at Michigan, they have a list on the registrar website.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby wiseowl » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:07 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
mallard wrote:
Geat27 wrote:
mallard wrote:How can your grades have improved to a B- average?


Well, it is possible. Let's just say my first semester grades were very low. By the way, if the best thing for me is to forgo OCI altogether, I'd like to know that!


I think there's a distinct possibility OCI will be a waste of your time, but if you're at Michigan, it's possible you'll make some headway with Detroit firms. I know next to nothing about that market.


Gosh you are harsh. He did poor in school but that is no reason to send him the hell.


to be fair, he said he wanted Detroit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:39 am

.

jimmyd11011
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby jimmyd11011 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 am

what's a "low 3" gpa?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

jimmyd11011 wrote:what's a "low 3" gpa?

Well, a B- average is around a 2.7. That makes this very flamey.

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby MVPson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:08 pm

I mean, it's possible he just didn't do well. I know someone with multiple B- marks. It happens.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby mallard » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:09 pm

MVPson wrote:I mean, it's possible he just didn't do well. I know someone with multiple B- marks. It happens.


It's possible you didn't do well in elementary math. Multiple B- marks does not give someone a B- average. And the guy said he has a B- average after a year and it was higher one semester than the other. That requires, at bare minimum, all B- marks plus a C+ one semester and all B- marks plus a B the other semester.

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby MVPson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:10 pm

mallard wrote:
MVPson wrote:I mean, it's possible he just didn't do well. I know someone with multiple B- marks. It happens.


It's possible you didn't do well in elementary math. Multiple B- marks does not give someone a B- average. And the guy said he has a B- average after a year and it was higher one semester than the other. That requires, at bare minimum, all B- marks plus a C+ one semester and all B- marks plus a B the other semester.


I haven't posted on this forum for about two years. You're still a giant asshole when I return. Congratulations.

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby MVPson » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:12 pm

And, to add, simply because he said B- average does not mean that it's a pure 2.7. Get your mind right.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby bigben » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 pm

MVPson wrote:
mallard wrote:
MVPson wrote:I mean, it's possible he just didn't do well. I know someone with multiple B- marks. It happens.


It's possible you didn't do well in elementary math. Multiple B- marks does not give someone a B- average. And the guy said he has a B- average after a year and it was higher one semester than the other. That requires, at bare minimum, all B- marks plus a C+ one semester and all B- marks plus a B the other semester.


I haven't posted on this forum for about two years. You're still a giant asshole when I return. Congratulations.


i loled. but man, the primary reason to engage in online discourse is to be an asshole. not kidding.

FeuerFrei
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 am

Re: B- avg. at top 10; looking for bidding advice

Postby FeuerFrei » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:54 pm

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.