ITT: you explain to my dumbass how to use mailmerge...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
XxSpyKEx

ITT: you explain to my dumbass how to use mailmerge...

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:39 am

1) What is the most efficient method of using mailmerge for electronic applications (i.e. OSCAR clerkships)? Do I need to just run through the recipient list, copy the each letter, paste it into another word document, and then save it OR is there a more efficient way of saving a file for each of the recipients?

2) Also, is there a way to set it up so that the gray entry boxes don't appear on the address line and salutation when you click on them (making it obvious that the file was created in a mail merge)?

Thanks.

ggocat

Re: ITT: you explain to my dumbass how to use mailmerge...

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:41 am

OSCAR has an mailmerge feature. You just copy the body of your letter into their editor and use the tags they provide to auto-fill judges' names and addresses.

Just poke around on the cover letter page, and you'll figure it out.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:00 pm

ggocat wrote:OSCAR has an mailmerge feature. You just copy the body of your letter into their editor and use the tags they provide to auto-fill judges' names and addresses.

Wow. That OSCAR mailmerge is incredibly useful. For some reason during our clerkships panel the CSO here suggested that you need to upload individual cover letters, 25 at a time, to apply to judges (maybe this online editor is a new thing?), but this is so much better. Thanks for the heads up on that.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:36 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
ggocat wrote:OSCAR has an mailmerge feature. You just copy the body of your letter into their editor and use the tags they provide to auto-fill judges' names and addresses.

Wow. That OSCAR mailmerge is incredibly useful. For some reason during our clerkships panel the CSO here suggested that you need to upload individual cover letters, 25 at a time, to apply to judges (maybe this online editor is a new thing?), but this is so much better. Thanks for the heads up on that.

No prob. The 25-at-a-time thing is for targeted letters. You can have a generic mailmerge letter (or maybe a few, I can't remember) and then 25 other individualized letters that you upload one-at-a-time.

Return to “Legal Employment”