Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm at a school in a major market in 40s-50s. I don't know exactly where I landed because rankings are given in tiers (10%,15%...), but I'm very close to the top of the class (maybe 2%?), and graded-on to Law Review. Last year, class of 2011, only half of LR got summer offers from OCI - so I'm a bit concerned. Are my odds much better if I can transfer to a T10?

Thanks.

Danteshek

Gold

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Wrong forum.

hi_im_josh

New

Post by hi_im_josh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Transfer.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 am

My impression is that for summer positions you're going to do about the same whether you're top 2% at your current school or you transfer. Firms aren't stupid - they're going to know you transferred and they're not going to think that the mere fact that you now are an NYU student (where you have not yet even attended a class at the point of interview) makes any difference. They'll base decisions on your 1L grades regardless.

That said, there's more to the equation than your 2L summer. Transferring may open certain future doors. It may also make you more likely to get an offer from your summer, although I have no hard evidence on this. On the other side of things, of course, is debt. If you're on a full ride that makes staying put more enticing, but if you'll have the same debt either way then transfer.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:28 am

blsingindisguise wrote:My impression is that for summer positions you're going to do about the same whether you're top 2% at your current school or you transfer. Firms aren't stupid - they're going to know you transferred and they're not going to think that the mere fact that you now are an NYU student (where you have not yet even attended a class at the point of interview) makes any difference. They'll base decisions on your 1L grades regardless.

That said, there's more to the equation than your 2L summer. Transferring may open certain future doors. It may also make you more likely to get an offer from your summer, although I have no hard evidence on this. On the other side of things, of course, is debt. If you're on a full ride that makes staying put more enticing, but if you'll have the same debt either way then transfer.
But OP will be treated as a NYU student, especially if he's been in the top-2% at his former school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 am

hi_im_josh wrote:Transfer.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:07 am

PDaddy wrote:
But OP will be treated as a NYU student, especially if he's been in the top-2% at his former school.
But I don't think there's a significant difference between being treated as a generic NYU student and being treated as someone in the top 2% of a 40-50.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”