Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313028
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm at a school in a major market in 40s-50s. I don't know exactly where I landed because rankings are given in tiers (10%,15%...), but I'm very close to the top of the class (maybe 2%?), and graded-on to Law Review. Last year, class of 2011, only half of LR got summer offers from OCI - so I'm a bit concerned. Are my odds much better if I can transfer to a T10?

Thanks.

Danteshek

Gold
Posts: 2170
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm

Wrong forum.

User avatar
hi_im_josh

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby hi_im_josh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Transfer.

blsingindisguise

Silver
Posts: 1304
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 am

My impression is that for summer positions you're going to do about the same whether you're top 2% at your current school or you transfer. Firms aren't stupid - they're going to know you transferred and they're not going to think that the mere fact that you now are an NYU student (where you have not yet even attended a class at the point of interview) makes any difference. They'll base decisions on your 1L grades regardless.

That said, there's more to the equation than your 2L summer. Transferring may open certain future doors. It may also make you more likely to get an offer from your summer, although I have no hard evidence on this. On the other side of things, of course, is debt. If you're on a full ride that makes staying put more enticing, but if you'll have the same debt either way then transfer.

User avatar
PDaddy

Gold
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:28 am

blsingindisguise wrote:My impression is that for summer positions you're going to do about the same whether you're top 2% at your current school or you transfer. Firms aren't stupid - they're going to know you transferred and they're not going to think that the mere fact that you now are an NYU student (where you have not yet even attended a class at the point of interview) makes any difference. They'll base decisions on your 1L grades regardless.

That said, there's more to the equation than your 2L summer. Transferring may open certain future doors. It may also make you more likely to get an offer from your summer, although I have no hard evidence on this. On the other side of things, of course, is debt. If you're on a full ride that makes staying put more enticing, but if you'll have the same debt either way then transfer.


But OP will be treated as a NYU student, especially if he's been in the top-2% at his former school.

User avatar
Thirteen

Diamond
Posts: 25407
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:42 am

hi_im_josh wrote:Transfer.

blsingindisguise

Silver
Posts: 1304
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:08 am

Re: Near-Top at School in 40s-50s - odds?

Postby blsingindisguise » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:07 am

PDaddy wrote:
But OP will be treated as a NYU student, especially if he's been in the top-2% at his former school.


But I don't think there's a significant difference between being treated as a generic NYU student and being treated as someone in the top 2% of a 40-50.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.