top 5% at ut/vandy Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

top 5% at ut/vandy

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:52 pm

Do I shoot for Vault 20-50? Any reaches past that? Interest in DC/Chicago/NY. I've noticed TX pays market biglaw rate but has a substantially lower cost of living, but I've lived in the south for 20 years now and am so sick of it.

Anonymous User

Re: top 5% at ut/vandy

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:15 pm

I'd shoot for Vault 1-20 as well. Top 5% is very impressive and I think a good interview could launch you into one of those firms.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Law Review? Secondary Journal?

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm on law review.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:30 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:I'm on law review.
outed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Why would you want to leave the South if you can make market? The people are nicer, the weather is nicer, the food is nicer, the women are way nicer, and as you mentioned, COL is cheaper.

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:18 pm

vexion wrote:Why would you want to leave the South if you can make market? The people are nicer, the weather is nicer, the food is nicer, the women are way nicer, and as you mentioned, COL is cheaper.
Anonymous User wrote:Do I shoot for Vault 20-50? Any reaches past that? Interest in DC/Chicago/NY. I've noticed TX pays market biglaw rate but has a substantially lower cost of living, but I've lived in the south for 20 years now and am so sick of it.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:25 pm

entrechatsix wrote:
vexion wrote:Why would you want to leave the South if you can make market? The people are nicer, the weather is nicer, the food is nicer, the women are way nicer, and as you mentioned, COL is cheaper.
Anonymous User wrote:Do I shoot for Vault 20-50? Any reaches past that? Interest in DC/Chicago/NY. I've noticed TX pays market biglaw rate but has a substantially lower cost of living, but I've lived in the south for 20 years now and am so sick of it.
I know, I read that part. :roll: My question is, how could you be sick of it?

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:38 pm

which school did you actually end up in the top 5%? Is this some sort of hypothetical or are you not wanting to reveal your actual school so you are using these two as peer schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:48 pm

sternc wrote:which school did you actually end up in the top 5%? Is this some sort of hypothetical or are you not wanting to reveal your actual school so you are using these two as peer schools?
It's standard tls practice to give two peer schools to preserve anonymity, 0L posting on the employment form.

By the way, looking at your lsn profile, you need to retake and reapply right after that new score comes in.

Edit: didn't mean to reply anonymously.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:12 pm

vexion wrote:
entrechatsix wrote:
I know, I read that part. :roll: My question is, how could you be sick of it?

It's alright, weather and COL-wise, but the people are just so awful to me. I don't mean to seem like an elitist, but if you're not a religious person it's hard to get along in the south, imo.

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:It's alright, weather and COL-wise, but the people are just so awful to me. I don't mean to seem like an elitist, but if you're not a religious person it's hard to get along in the south, imo.
Ah... well, this is true depending on where exactly you are. I've been working in southern Louisiana and actively avoiding discussion of religion, lest I be subjected to an attempted-conversion tirade. I'm originally from Lexington, KY though. I consider us just Southern enough to have inherited the hospitality and grace, but not so much the religious fervor.

EggShellPlaintiff

New

Post by EggShellPlaintiff » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm

You should bid a little bit more aggressively. Kirkland Chicago and Arnold and Porter DC are probably targets for you. DPW and S&C both recruit at your school, but they're probably going to be reaches.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's standard tls practice to give two peer schools to preserve anonymity, 0L posting on the employment form.
Couldn't you have just said vandy?

sternc

Bronze

Post by sternc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:35 pm

To whoever responded to me and my question anonymously, do you mind explaining to me what you mean? PM if you would like.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:39 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
vexion wrote: I know, I read that part. :roll: My question is, how could you be sick of it?
It's alright, weather and COL-wise, but the people are just so awful to me. I don't mean to seem like an elitist, but if you're not a religious person it's hard to get along in the south, imo.
If really pressed, I think I would say that this was the main reason I didn't pick Vandy. I didn't want to get stuck in Georgia, the Carolinas, or Tennessee.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Why do people care about the rank of a firm when the pay is the same?

vexion

Bronze

Post by vexion » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why do people care about the rank of a firm when the pay is the same?
The doors it opens. A three- or four-year veteran (refugee?) from a V5 has a golden ticket to lucrative in-house positions, PI, midlaw, boutiques, whatever they want to do. Someone with three years at a low-ranked Texas biglaw firm paying $160k might still be stuck in Texas after they leave the firm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”