how beneficial is law firm experience for incoming 1Ls?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Grad09

how beneficial is law firm experience for incoming 1Ls?

Postby Grad09 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Well the title says it all... Is it a big deal? Does it help considerably in getting a 1L job? Does anyone say "damn, I REALLY wish I had legal experience?

Just curious. Thanks for the input.

yinz

Re: how beneficial is law firm experience for incoming 1Ls?

Postby yinz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Essential. Especially for grades.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:24 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:10 pm

I have a question to add to your question. I hope that is ok. If you are a 0L heading to 1L in the fall, is it acceptable to start contacting firms around the law school and your hometown if it is close now? Or do you have to wait until after November 1?

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a question to add to your question. I hope that is ok. If you are a 0L heading to 1L in the fall, is it acceptable to start contacting firms around the law school and your hometown if it is close now? Or do you have to wait until after November 1?

I contacted dozens and dozens of lawyers asking them to tell me what they did for a living, whether they liked it, whether it was stimulating work, what paths they took to get there. I unfortunately managed to lose my gmail account from back then, which is a ridiculous waste of a Rolodex, but its basically just fine.

In fact, one of these "advice" people became kind of my mentor over the last two years, and I would say I have a decent chance at getting an interview at his firm.

I'm not sure whether sending random law firms your pre-law resume will result in any employment, or leave an impressionable memory. My questions (I think) indicated my serious interest in patent law, and if I asked smart questions, it reflected well upon me. Although when I think back as to the quality of questions I asked, I probably should have posted them on here first.

Return to “Legal Employment”