1L Internship with high stakes PI is awesome- taking q's Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Internship with high stakes PI is awesome- taking q's

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 pm

Shoot.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: 1L Internship with high stakes PI is awesome- taking q's

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:21 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buddyblack

New

Post by buddyblack » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 pm

What's the best way to line yourself up for that sort of gig?

And congrats on enjoying your placement, OP.
thesealocust wrote:When you drink Whisk(e)y, do you do so on ice, with a splash of water, or neat? Does it matter what proof or style it is?
"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:30 am

Actually, we left work early today to all have wine, beer, and snacks and just hang out, all the way up to the owner of the firm. I just helped on a small matter that racked up more money than I've probably made in my entire life in one settlement. That case was just small beans compared to most of the cases. The cool thing is that this is one of the most respected law firms in the state and the lawyers are REALLY smart and great mentors. This is not your typical PI firm. These guys have pwned every single opponent I've seen them face in my short time there and they are the most well known law firm in a decent secondary market.

Another thing that separates this firm is that they rarely to car accident/flip and fall kind of stuff and only go after cases where it is harder to prove a duty and the stakes are MUCH higher. Much of the cases they do are 1 mil. + and I've read past cases where they've gone well over 20 mil. These guys are aggressive, smart, and cocky but are willing to take an intern under their wings. I am in awe much of the day listening to these guys. I actually witnessed a defense counsel, when they had a great case against us and actually had a great chance of getting summary judgment (I should know, considering I did much of the research for the settlement negotiation and was very involved in our theory of liability presented). Not only did the defense not file for summary judgment, they upped their offer, haha. It was quite the experience, let me tell you.

I've always thought the line that you see on here "it's not what school you go to, but what you do in practice" was just a cliche lower ranked students spew out (which it mostly is, granted) but I now know that there is much truth to this. No two attorneys here went to the same law school and there are t1, 2, and 3 lawyers there. Granted, the t2 and 3 attorneys did very well academically, but it's refreshing to see that they all feel like equals and they all have their own strength and are all crazy smart and good at what they do. Actually, they are the best. There is nothing like working with the best. It's a rush. :)

cigrainger

Bronze

Post by cigrainger » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:...
I'm assuming this is a private public interest firm? Do they have a particular area of expertise? Are these class action suits or what? The 'private public interest firm' is what most interests me as a long-term career goal, I think, so I'd love to know about day-to-day work.

Is there anything in particular you did that allowed you to get a position there?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

2009 Prospective

Bronze

Post by 2009 Prospective » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:46 pm

8)
Last edited by 2009 Prospective on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:48 pm

I read it as personal injury.

poopstains

New

Post by poopstains » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:11 pm

buddyblack wrote:What's the best way to line yourself up for that sort of gig?

And congrats on enjoying your placement, OP.
thesealocust wrote:When you drink Whisk(e)y, do you do so on ice, with a splash of water, or neat? Does it matter what proof or style it is?
"For relaxing times, make it Suntory time."
that movie makes me want to work into tokyo, and i think personal injury is right.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:16 pm

High stakes Plaintiff's work (personal injury). It's a blast. Note that this is distinguished from ambulance chasing/billboard PI work. They take the hard cases where people have been wronged (many civil rights kinds of cases) and set a lot of precedent. It's really freaking cool.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:41 pm

It's personal injury. PI means either Public Interest or Personal Injury. For the most part there is no such thing as a 'private public interest firm' which is what one of the people above said. Personal injury rocks, btw. No billing, just pure case-building, motion practice, paper work, research, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm

SteelReserve wrote:It's personal injury. PI means either Public Interest or Personal Injury. For the most part there is no such thing as a 'private public interest firm' which is what one of the people above said. Personal injury rocks, btw. No billing, just pure case-building, motion practice, paper work, research, etc.
Ever since I got to law school, I had this feeling that this is what I ultimately wanted to do. After working here, I'm almost certain. There is no way most attorneys experience this kind of QOL. The attorneys here seem to love what they do.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:49 pm

OP, I intern at a Personal Injury firm. For the most part its your standard billboard type of firm, but I do have to say, The owner of the firm makes serious bank (the other attorneys...not so much). I know you probably don't want to say where you're interning but could you name off (if you know of any) other firms that are similiar in culture to yours? Honestly, I've never heard of a PI type firm like yours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:03 pm

pjo wrote:OP, I intern at a Personal Injury firm. For the most part its your standard billboard type of firm, but I do have to say, The owner of the firm makes serious bank (the other attorneys...not so much). I know you probably don't want to say where you're interning but could you name off (if you know of any) other firms that are similiar in culture to yours? Honestly, I've never heard of a PI type firm like yours.
Me either, to be honest. Two of the guys were former biglaw guys, the owner was a partner apparently.

Every single attorney, down to the newest hire, all drive 70-150k cars and a few have multiples. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of bonus profit sharing scheme going on and not just a salary. That's how I'd run it if I owned a firm like this. Gives far more incentive for the attorneys to give 100%.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:08 pm

What region are you in? And how do you bring in clients if not by advertising? I mean, the PI structure is bascially depedent upon reputation/whoever is the most well known in a region - gets the most cases (and thereby the highest dollar awards just by probability)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm

pjo wrote:What region are you in? And how do you bring in clients if not by advertising? I mean, the PI structure is bascially depedent upon reputation/whoever is the most well known in a region - gets the most cases (and thereby the highest dollar awards just by probability)
I can't really give out the region as this firm is so well known that a google search would bring them to the top if you knew the region. This firm is famous without advertising b/c of their results + awards + being recognized in a crap ton of "top lawyer"/"super lawyer"/etc. kind of magazine, organization rankings. Their enormous settlements, jury verdicts give them enough publicity, at least that's what I have gathered.

Edit: think of markets like the size of Stockton or Oakland, CA or Reno, NV.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks OP for sharing this. About how big of a firm is it (how many attorneys?). What kind of cases does your firm represent? Lastly, what school do you go to (T14/T1/T2/T3/T4 is fine) and how many SA's does your firm have this summer? Thanks again

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:57 pm

pjo wrote:Thanks OP for sharing this. About how big of a firm is it (how many attorneys?). What kind of cases does your firm represent? Lastly, what school do you go to (T14/T1/T2/T3/T4 is fine) and how many SA's does your firm have this summer? Thanks again
The firm has between 5-10 attorneys that they choose VERY carefully. They make sure each attorney wants to bring somebody on before they even consider you. There are like 2 interns per year. They seem to like good grades but it seems more than anything a demonstrated drive to suceed and good people skills. This is the kind of job you can only get through networking. Weirdly enough, I just knew somebody that had used the firm for a claim that didn't work out, and that at least gave me an in to talk to them. Basically, I got lucky. Most of the students at my school (a t3) would have killed for this position and I honestly had NO other leads. Something else I've gotten from this experience: it only takes one good firm to say yes. Do everything you can to land a position. Network, pester (nicely), hit up every connection you have, because it only takes one yes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

00TREX00

Bronze

Post by 00TREX00 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:22 pm

-
Last edited by 00TREX00 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm

OP, I'm glad to hear your experience has been good so far. :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:28 pm

00TREX00 wrote:I love threads like this that are geared towards bragging about achievements rather than actually answering or asking questions.
ORLY? Have I noy answered q's? I'm trying to shed light on a career that is crapped on for no good reason. When do you ever see people saying good things about PI law on here?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, I'm glad to hear your experience has been good so far. :D
Thanks. :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jp0094

Bronze

Post by jp0094 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:39 am

wait, do you work for patty hewes??

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:15 am

No No...i think the OP is doing something important here and I know what he is talking about, I think it would do much good of we keep reasonable questions rolling instead of trying to sabotage a perfectly good thread.
Having said that,

Q# What are your plans for the future in regards to the firm? Do you plan to build your career there? How do you plan on developing the proper skill set to become a future partner at the firm, if that is one of your goals?

Q# Do you know what is expected of you to return as a full time associate? How many hours are the associates working? Is it a congenial or aggressive place to work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 am

SplitterPride wrote:No No...i think the OP is doing something important here and I know what he is talking about, I think it would do much good of we keep reasonable questions rolling instead of trying to sabotage a perfectly good thread.
Having said that,

Q# What are your plans for the future in regards to the firm? Do you plan to build your career there? How do you plan on developing the proper skill set to become a future partner at the firm, if that is one of your goals?

Q# Do you know what is expected of you to return as a full time associate? How many hours are the associates working? Is it a congenial or aggressive place to work?

Well, I hope to get a better idea of this after the summer. Since they are so small, they really make sure they like the person before they hire them. I feel like this internship is a very long term interview. They have no qualms about telling people they are not up to snuff, which is pretty freaky to be honest. They did tell me not to expect that this internship means I will be offered a long term position. I'm pretty sure they say this to everyone so that people don't just assume it's like biglaw and that they will not feel any sense of responsibility to offer interns a post grad position.

I could not think of a better place to start a career. The attorneys are just freaking smart and talented and are willing to tutor you. Before coming here, I never thought about it, but it seems that if you find a firm you really like, you should try to persue that exact firm. I just thought this would be great experience and a great set of contacts to have in the future, but the more I work there the more I realize that I'd like to work for this exact firm.

About developing the skill set needed to make partner: this is actually one question I have that I am too timid to ask just yet. I have no idea how these guys (a few were hired right out of school) develop trial skills. I wonder if they shadowed the more senior attorneys for awhile or if they jumped right in: sink or swim. I'll find out and post that info on this thread. I think making partner or even becoming a senior attorney sets you up for absolute bank at this firm. I think there is a gigantic profit sharing potential and the owner is absolutely a multi-millionaire.

Q# Do you know what is expected of you to return as a full time associate? How many hours are the associates working? Is it a congenial or aggressive place to work?[/quote]

They have VERY high expectations and the associates are always traveling around the state doing trials and depositions, etc. and they work odd hours. Some of the attorneys get to the office late and leave early and other days they are there early and are still there when I leave. It seems that they work reasonable hours though, maybe like 50 hours a week or so. They have weekends off, which seems very cool at least from what I hear about many legal jobs.

The work place is congenial but very professional and the attorneys always have this very concentrated and serious look on their faces. They joke around but they really value time and don't chit chat in the halls and when you are talking to them they often indicate via body language that you are starting to over stay your welcome. They really do work and play hard. And they have money to buy things and talk a lot about what they have purchased, are purchasing, or going to purchase.

SplitterPride

New

Post by SplitterPride » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:55 am

Seems like you found something worthwhile to dedicate your professional career to. One point I do want to make is this could very well be an opportunity for a lifetime. Try your hardest to make the VERY best of it.

I can tell you not very many of us will find something a job that we can be tremendously passionate about. I think you are on the verge of finding your passion.

Dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Am I a bi jealous of you at the moment? Certainly, but I wish you take this to the heart, get some good questions out to the associates and partners over the internship and share it with us. Then dive right in and make it yours.

I wish you the best of luck. In fact, you wont need it. I wish you your best effort.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”