just got my grades back-below median, now what

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mollie
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm

just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby mollie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:49 pm

barely below median-top 52% :x (B- in CivPro and crim)-agh! now what?

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Where do you go to school?

mollie
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby mollie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm

mallard wrote:Where do you go to school?


lower tier 1 (40-50)

User avatar
Ty Webb
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby Ty Webb » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:54 pm

mollie wrote:
mallard wrote:Where do you go to school?


lower tier 1 (40-50)


Image

User avatar
nealric
Posts: 2395
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby nealric » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:57 pm

Sign up for local bar association / inns of the court, anything that will allow you to interact with practicing attorneys NOW. Don't bother with OCI. It won't happen.

Lay the groundwork. Networking does not mean you hit someone up at a cocktail hour and they offer you a job. Networking requires developing actual relationships such that people come to know and respect you who could possibly be of help.

Try to show particular interest in some sort of specialty. Work that angle.

Don't blindly resume bomb. Work on targeted letters.

Keep in mind that half of your peers are also sub-median.

mollie
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:18 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby mollie » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 pm

nealric wrote:Sign up for local bar association / inns of the court, anything that will allow you to interact with practicing attorneys NOW. Don't bother with OCI. It won't happen.

Lay the groundwork. Networking does not mean you hit someone up at a cocktail hour and they offer you a job. Networking requires developing actual relationships such that people come to know and respect you who could possibly be of help.

Try to show particular interest in some sort of specialty. Work that angle.

Don't blindly resume bomb. Work on targeted letters.

Keep in mind that half of your peers are also sub-median.


What about govt. (federal)?

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Word on the street is that Federal government is pretty competitive. People know better than I do though.

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby HyeMart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:10 pm

when civpro and crim was what caused the grade drop....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:12 pm

Quote from Chicken Little:

[on the chickens' plane before take-off]
Nick: In the quite likely event of an emergency, put your head between your knees...
Fetcher: and kiss your bum goodbye!

User avatar
NoleinNY
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby NoleinNY » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Quote from Chicken Little:

[on the chickens' plane before take-off]
Nick: In the quite likely event of an emergency, put your head between your knees...
Fetcher: and kiss your bum goodbye!



You're thinking of Chicken Run.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:21 pm

HyeMart wrote:when civpro and crim was what caused the grade drop....


???

HyeMart
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby HyeMart » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:46 pm

mollie wrote:barely below median-top 52% :x (B- in CivPro and crim)-agh! now what?

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby 98234872348 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 pm

nealric wrote:Sign up for local bar association / inns of the court, anything that will allow you to interact with practicing attorneys NOW. Don't bother with OCI. It won't happen.

Lay the groundwork. Networking does not mean you hit someone up at a cocktail hour and they offer you a job. Networking requires developing actual relationships such that people come to know and respect you who could possibly be of help.

Try to show particular interest in some sort of specialty. Work that angle.

Don't blindly resume bomb. Work on targeted letters.

Keep in mind that half of your peers are also sub-median.

QF awesome advice.

Thanks nealric.

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1663
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby ggocat » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:10 pm

mollie wrote:What about govt. (federal)?

For attorney positions? No.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 pm

mollie wrote:
nealric wrote:Sign up for local bar association / inns of the court, anything that will allow you to interact with practicing attorneys NOW. Don't bother with OCI. It won't happen.

Lay the groundwork. Networking does not mean you hit someone up at a cocktail hour and they offer you a job. Networking requires developing actual relationships such that people come to know and respect you who could possibly be of help.

Try to show particular interest in some sort of specialty. Work that angle.

Don't blindly resume bomb. Work on targeted letters.

Keep in mind that half of your peers are also sub-median.


What about govt. (federal)?


What about it? The above advice will work for fed government too. Mass mailing your resume to fed government or any employer will NOT work. Do the above and do it now and it should be your primary focus second only to getting your grades up 2/3L. Get the Guerrilla Tactics book by Walton and read it ASAP.

You're not doomed yet, but you will be if you don't start being extremely proactive with your job search, and that basically means not doing what most of your classmates will be doing: mass mailing, OCI, responding to want ads. Your resume it just not attractive enough for you to get any responses that way and its bascdilly just a time sink that will make you think you're doing something productive when your actually doing nothing that will land you a job.

griffy
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby griffy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm in a very similiar boat to OP. I was wondering if it would be better for someone in this situation to intern during 2L year, hoping to make contacts; or not work and focus on bringing up grades? Since OCI is out of the question, would giving up this study time to networking be a good idea?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 pm

griffy wrote:I'm in a very similiar boat to OP. I was wondering if it would be better for someone in this situation to intern during 2L year, hoping to make contacts; or not work and focus on bringing up grades? Since OCI is out of the question, would giving up this study time to networking be a good idea?


You can still study and network, they are not mutally exclusive. But even better grades don't beat knowing people. Grades may get your resume from being tossed, but knowing the right person may get your an interview regardles of grades.

User avatar
bedbathandbeheadings
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 12:01 am

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:31 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
mollie wrote:
mallard wrote:Where do you go to school?


lower tier 1 (40-50)


Image


Image

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Can we have a 'no kill self' rule in this forum? TLS elitism makes me puke even in the best of times, but really?

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:Can we have a 'no kill self' rule in this forum? TLS elitism makes me puke even in the best of times, but really?


Seconded, its really out of hand

griffy
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby griffy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks for the feedback. The reason I ask is because my current boss has told me that she could "probably" get me something during the school year with a small firm (unpaid of course). While this is certainly no sure thing, it could be my only option for a 2L summer internship, assuming they would let me stay on. I just feel so much more productive working and talking to real attorneys than sitiing in class talking about pennoyer. Also, to OP, I wish you luck!

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:37 pm

griffy wrote:Thanks for the feedback. The reason I ask is because my current boss has told me that she could "probably" get me something during the school year with a small firm (unpaid of course). While this is certainly no sure thing, it could be my only option for a 2L summer internship, assuming they would let me stay on. I just feel so much more productive working and talking to real attorneys than sitiing in class talking about pennoyer. Also, to OP, I wish you luck!


If your going to work for free see if your school will let you do it for credit as an internship, you will be working for free AND paying tutition, but those credits count twords graduation and mean 1-2 less classes.

griffy
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby griffy » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:38 pm

Great idea. I will check into that. Thanks.

User avatar
hi_im_josh
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby hi_im_josh » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:45 pm

mollie wrote:barely below median-top 52% :x (B- in CivPro and crim)-agh! now what?


--ImageRemoved--

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: just got my grades back-below median, now what

Postby miamiman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm honestly embarrassed for the people who would, with zero hesitation at all, post pictures of a noose or handgun. You people fucking suck.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.