NYU Law - 3.43 Where to Bid Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU Law - 3.43 Where to Bid

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Where is this in the class? Where to bid? Focusing on DC/Chicago.

dbt

Silver

Re: NYU Law - 3.43 Where to Bid

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:46 pm

You're probably top 30% or so...guessing that 3.33 is around median, and they said that only a little over 10 firms are 3.5+ as far as selectivity.

I'd guess in D.C. you're looking at like Hogan, Hughes Hubbard, Akin Gump. And in NY, you've got a good shot at V20 firms and some of the less selective V10s. Congrats on the great performance!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:50 pm

dbt wrote:You're probably top 30% or so...guessing that 3.33 is around median, and they said that only a little over 10 firms are 3.5+ as far as selectivity.

I'd guess in D.C. you're looking at like Hogan, Hughes Hubbard, Akin Gump. And in NY, you've got a good shot at V20 firms and some of the less selective V10s. Congrats on the great performance!
Out them here.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:51 pm

RVP11 wrote:
dbt wrote:You're probably top 30% or so...guessing that 3.33 is around median, and they said that only a little over 10 firms are 3.5+ as far as selectivity.

Out them here.
You give me all the data for V first.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:18 pm

OP, I would focus bids generally on the v10-v30ish range, with some of the larger / less selective v10s in as reach / slight reach.

EDIT: Just saw you're focusing on DC / Chicago. Probably do what dbt said, then.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I go to NYU - I believe the median is in the 3.2x range. Getting all B+s (3.33) is above median. There's a breakdown of the new curve with some reasoning on xoxo.

OP, I would focus bids generally on the v10-v30ish range, with some of the larger / less selective v10s in as reach / slight reach. 3.43 is almost assuredly top 1/3 and probably not too far from top 1/4.

EDIT: Just saw you're focusing on DC / Chicago. Probably do what dbt said, then.
It'd be pretty sweet if the median is in 3.2x range. I thought the new curve pushed it up into 3.3x range.

I wish they'd just tell us where we rank. bleh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:33 pm

I am no math wiz but it seems hard for the median to be above 3.33, given there are far more grades below a 3.33 that are given than above 3.33. While there are less B-s than As, there are far more Bs than A-s. Instinct would point me to a high 3.2X for median.

It is hard because I would imagine that the curve plateaus quite a bit around 3.2-3.33. Very few students will have A/A-, B+, B+ or A/A-, B+, B. But many students will receive all B+s or some combination of Bs/B+s.

Tautology

Bronze

Post by Tautology » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:35 pm

What someone needs to do is look up the 1L grade distributions at schools that publish both their individual class curves and 1L class ranks, use this data to grab an average grade correlation among 1L classes, and use that average to estimate 1L grade distributions for schools that don't rank.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am no math wiz but it seems hard for the median to be above 3.33, given there are far more grades below a 3.33 that are given than above 3.33. While there are less B-s than As, there are far more Bs than A-s. Instinct would point me to a high 3.2X for median.

It is hard because I would imagine that the curve plateaus quite a bit around 3.2-3.33. Very few students will have A/A-, B+, B+ or A/A-, B+, B. But many students will receive all B+s or some combination of Bs/B+s.
This makes sense, and reflects what I've seen as far as friends who have told me their grades. A lot of people are relatively consistent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 pm

RVP11 wrote:

Out them here.
Do not out them here. It will only cause firms that don't currently use that cutoff to get jealous and start using that cutoff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:57 am

dbt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I go to NYU - I believe the median is in the 3.2x range. Getting all B+s (3.33) is above median. There's a breakdown of the new curve with some reasoning on xoxo.

OP, I would focus bids generally on the v10-v30ish range, with some of the larger / less selective v10s in as reach / slight reach. 3.43 is almost assuredly top 1/3 and probably not too far from top 1/4.

It'd be pretty sweet if the median is in 3.2x range. I thought the new curve pushed it up into 3.3x range.

my counselor did. try asking straight up, can't really hurt in any case

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:18 am

The 3.5 bracket firms are not out of reach as a matter of principle. Some firms in the group definitely consider non-grade factors. I had around the same GPA as you and got DPW, for example. I'm not even on a journal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:32 pm

How much does prior working experience push in one's favor? Prior legal experience beyond the typical legal assistant/administrative assistant experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:46 pm

dbt wrote:

It would make sense that the median is below a 3.33. I say this because the B+ group on the curve for each course is not equally distributed on either median student (example, 40th through 60th student in a class of 100), but instead in a class of 100 would be approximately the 57th best student through the 32nd best student (I'm using the numbers for max percentage over a B and max percentage in the A range, so realize this is just an example). In other words, a student who is average among his peers is more likely to get a B than an A- in any given class. It would be nice to know the median GPA though...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
dbt wrote:

It would make sense that the median is below a 3.33. I say this because the B+ group on the curve for each course is not equally distributed on either median student (example, 40th through 60th student in a class of 100), but instead in a class of 100 would be approximately the 57th best student through the 32nd best student (I'm using the numbers for max percentage over a B and max percentage in the A range, so realize this is just an example). In other words, a student who is average among his peers is more likely to get a B than an A- in any given class. It would be nice to know the median GPA though...
This is essentially my reasoning. I imagine we have a lot of grouping of grades in our class as well, because 1) people are pretty consistent in their grades, as noted above and 2) because we have fewer grades after 1L than most schools.

Anyone have any thoughts on bidding for those in the middle of the class? 3.2 range?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:29 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 am

Anyone have any thoughts on bidding for those in the middle of the class? 3.2 range?
Focus on the 3.3+ firms as reaches, and maybe reach-targets (depends on the firms in the 3.3+ range). Don't touch firms in the 3.5+ range. Also focus on firms that made neither list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:47 am

I would not bother with firms that are 3.5+... face it, statistically speaking, you probably won't be the 1 person who slips through at DPW out of the hundreds that they interview each fall to get in w/ under 3.5. I mean, if you area super confident that you can be, go ahead, but to me that is a wasted bid.

When you are using your #15-25 bids, I would focus on firms that have larger summer classes and that have lots of interview slots. That way you're safer to get an interview given the bidding process, and the more interviews the better given the economy and the fact that you're pretty close to median.

Also, might be of small importance which classes you did well in v. which classes you didn't. If you want lit, I'd make sure that your better grade is civil procedure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”