Patent agent? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
risktaker

Silver

Patent agent?

Post by risktaker » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:12 pm

Last edited by risktaker on Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black-Blue

Bronze

Re: Patent agent?

Post by Black-Blue » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:45 pm

If I pass this test, what are my chances of finding a job as a patent agent?
If you want an internship, I think that might be possible. But if you're actually looking for a one-year real job, then I don't see why they would want to hire someone who can commit only for one year (and also, patent agent jobs in general are very difficult to find these days without special credentials due to a glut of patent attorneys).
Also, would it be easier for me to get summer internships during law school if I have already passed the patent bar?
It'd be a little easier, but hard to quantify how much easier.

mollayo

New

Post by mollayo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:13 pm

FYI...

To do patent prosecution in bio field, Ph.D. is almost required.
There are just so many bio Ph.D./JD for bio BS to be marketable.

If you want to do patent lit, it doesn't matter.

thwalls

Bronze

Post by thwalls » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:29 am

risktaker wrote:So, I have a year between now and law school. I will be going to law school in the hopes of becoming a patent lawyer after law school. I have a double major in history and biochem. I have been having a tough time finding a job in the mean time. Would it be a good idea for me to study for the patent bar for the next few months and take the test. If I pass this test, what are my chances of finding a job as a patent agent? Also, would it be easier for me to get summer internships during law school if I have already passed the patent bar? Thanks and hope to hear some good responses.
I am attending Temple p/t in the fall and I just received a position as a technical advisor. I just got my PhD in Organic Chemistry and passed the patent bar last month. Before I passed the patent bar, WITH the PhD, I tried for 6 months to find a job as a technical advisor and came up empty. The fact that I was offered a job had more to do with being in the right place at the right time and it's not like I had people fighting for me. I got one offer.

As far as the patent bar goes, if you want to do patent law you might as well do it now and get it over with. You don't need it for patent litigation but it doesn't hurt you either. Also remember that after you pass it you're still not that useful to a law firm. The firm that's hiring me informed me that I'm "green" and that learning to be a patent agent has a 3 year learning curve. This explains why so many positions for patent agents require at least 2 years of experience.

Just thought I'd share my experience. Good LucK!

risktaker

Silver

Post by risktaker » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. If I only have a b.s. degree in biochem, is it still possible for me to acquire a job in patent litigation? I do not want to go into a field where my job prospects are slim to none. I already know from you guys' posts that patent prosecution would be impossible for me as I don't have a masters or Phd. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:53 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”