Straight Passing at YLS: OCI Chances - Poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

At best, straight Ps at YLS probably lands you a job at a:

V5
18%
V10
12%
V25
27%
Hell If I Know
43%

Total votes: 82

dresden doll

Re: Straight Passing at YLS: OCI Chances

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:ITT: PC people attack comment of "curiously gendered" because they've met the person in real life

I'd love to know why this is anonymous. What sensitive info are you conveying to us all that you need the anonymity cloak?

Also, the parallel between Kurama and Emmy is sadly misguided but I'm way tired right now to get into that.

dbt

Postby dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 am

RVP11 wrote:
dbt wrote:If she was a bitch, the fact that she is transgendered shouldn't be used as any sort of defense.

Let's get back on topic. Just how big of a bitch was emmyd?

Before she was ever banned? Huge. After she came back? Actually a pretty legit poster and contributor, for a short period.

Banning has not had the same effect on Kurama, apparently.

Yes I remember kurama. I guess he has a new s/n (someone that has posted in this thread). Are you in law school yet kurama?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:14 am

Kurama = Hiei

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:15 am

I sincerely hope Kurama is at NYU. And that he meets Renzo.

dbt

Postby dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:16 am

RVP11 wrote:Kurama = Hiei

That makes a lot of sense. Jumping on the opportunity to bash NYU earlier, even though I was seriously happy about the possibility that Yale truly blows NYU out of the water.

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:21 am

dbt wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Kurama = Hiei

That makes a lot of sense. Jumping on the opportunity to bash NYU earlier, even though I was seriously happy about the possibility that Yale truly blows NYU out of the water.

It does and I posted multiple times that I was the same person (did you forget when you asked me that I said yes?). Anyone who says that Yale doesn't blow out NYU is dreaming.

dresden doll wrote:I sincerely hope Kurama is at NYU. And that he meets Renzo.

LOL no you don't, Renzo would have a very different demeanor than he does online if he met me in person. The fact that one considers someone saying there is a big gap between Yale and NYU a "schitck" is pretty ridiculous.

Yes I remember kurama. I guess he has a new s/n (someone that has posted in this thread). Are you in law school yet kurama?

In August. I really should have applied the same cycle you did but things didn't work out like that.
Last edited by Hiei on Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbt

Postby dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 am

(did you forget when you asked me that I said yes?)

I think you can guess the answer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:22 am

dbt wrote:Let's get back on topic.

Yes! :)

dbt wrote:Just how big of a bitch was emmyd?

Oh for Christ's sake stop it already.

This thread properly concerns a series of Ps aligned in a row, not the curiosity of a certain B's gender role.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:13 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nirvana

Postby nirvana » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:46 am

Some people may be overlooking that most rising YLS 2Ls have three to four grades on their transcripts for OCI.

With such a low number of grades, I think there are lots of people who get straight Ps their first graded semester. A good estimate is that in a typical class, 30% get Hs and 70% get Ps. So you could be median in three classes and end up with 3 Ps. I dont think, then, that straight Ps= damn near bottom of the class.

Now, if you were talking about your final transcript, things would be really different. It would look horrible to not have a single H, and you might be damn near bottom of the class.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:36 am

thesealocust wrote:65 bids | ~ 15 interviews | 6 callbacks | 3 offers | 1 acceptance

So everyone ITT who thinks OP can get Skadden is now asserting that a firm which one third of Yale attempting to obtain an interview at that only made three offers which is nationally ranked as the third MOST PRESTIGIOUSESSTEST firm in the country is an accessible and reasonable firm for somebody who is probably in the bottom 10% of the class at that school? Despite the fact that there are numerous Yale grads at numerous firms with inferior reputations and similarly shitty biglaw 'feel'?

Unlike superior schools, they do pure lottery, so the 65 to 15 cut isn't going to help us.

And the difficult part about straight Ps is we don't know how many YLS 1Ls get them. Probably a lot - maybe as many as 40%. So a lot will depend on whether you choose to view OP's grades as "bottom of the class" or only "below median."

markymark

Postby markymark » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:19 am

RVP11 wrote:ITT: people underestimate the strength of YLS.

Top 85%????????????? GUFFAW. Try 100% of the class. As for YLS people going to Cadwalader, that probably has a lot more to do with poor interviewing skills (omg aspie) than with the fact that some YLS people have straight Ps.

This This This.

As I said earlier, I know 3 people at Skadden from my T10 who were slightly above median to "not quite top 1/3."

markymark

Postby markymark » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:30 am

RVP11 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
RVP11 wrote:Proof that she transferred/attends NYU?

Please post here.

it's true. and she's working at a V10 firm. HTH.

Interesting. Snarky IRL or just online persona?

My friends at Michigan say she is insufferable and incredibly awkward.

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:42 pm

nirvana wrote:Some people may be overlooking that most rising YLS 2Ls have three to four grades on their transcripts for OCI.

With such a low number of grades, I think there are lots of people who get straight Ps their first graded semester. A good estimate is that in a typical class, 30% get Hs and 70% get Ps. So you could be median in three classes and end up with 3 Ps. I dont think, then, that straight Ps= damn near bottom of the class.

Now, if you were talking about your final transcript, things would be really different. It would look horrible to not have a single H, and you might be damn near bottom of the class.

It does bring up the question of what exactly is the bottom of the class at Yale. With their grading system I would assume that a lot of people do end up with straight Passes (as you said). I suppose anyone with any grade of a Low Pass or definitely a Fail would be at the bottom of the class.

mallard

Postby mallard » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Summary of thread?

Postby 12262010 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:50 pm

mallard wrote:Summary of thread?

rabble rabble rabble

lsplz

Postby lsplz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:13 pm

For what it's worth-- My impression, as a rising 2L at yls, from anecdotal evidence of talking to upperclassmen, is that: 1. Median is probably 1 H grade (keep in mind that MOST non-seminar classes give out no more than 30% H's, and many give out only top 20%, or use measures like "1.5 SD above the average." I bet 40% of students have no H's after 1st year, as most take no more than 3 graded classes; you could very well be in the top 40% of all your classes and get no H's. That said, some small classes give them to almost everyone. And 2. Because our transcripts are so mysterious, most firms focus primarily on personality and, more importantly, demonstrated interest; a person with a bunch of corporate classes is going to do much better than someone who took all clinics or public interest-related things, or classes that suggest that they are really gunning for, say, academia or politics and won't stick around a firm (keep in mind, everyone, that we pick our own classes after 1st semester). The big fear isn't "not smart enough;" it's "not actually interested in doing law firm work."

4 of the CR's are first-semester classes (which everyone gets), and one is probably from a clinic.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:21 pm

booyakasha wrote:
mallard wrote:Summary of thread?

rabble rabble rabble

People seem to actually give a shit about some kids prospects from Yale.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:40 pm

lsplz wrote:For what it's worth-- My impression, as a rising 2L at yls, from anecdotal evidence of talking to upperclassmen, is that: 1. Median is probably 1 H grade (keep in mind that MOST non-seminar classes give out no more than 30% H's, and many give out only top 20%, or use measures like "1.5 SD above the average." I bet 40% of students have no H's after 1st year, as most take no more than 3 graded classes; you could very well be in the top 40% of all your classes and get no H's. That said, some small classes give them to almost everyone. And 2. Because our transcripts are so mysterious, most firms focus primarily on personality and, more importantly, demonstrated interest; a person with a bunch of corporate classes is going to do much better than someone who took all clinics or public interest-related things, or classes that suggest that they are really gunning for, say, academia or politics and won't stick around a firm (keep in mind, everyone, that we pick our own classes after 1st semester). The big fear isn't "not smart enough;" it's "not actually interested in doing law firm work."

4 of the CR's are first-semester classes (which everyone gets), and one is probably from a clinic.

This makes a lot of sense, lsplz.

Four of the seven CRs I have are from first-semester courses. Two of the remaining three CRs are from reading groups, and the remaining one is from a clinic. I've only taken three "graded" courses, all of which were large lectures.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:09 am

[OP here]

Update: This thread now has a poll.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:57 am

Expect a wild ride. I think most employers prefer to see at least one H, but straight Ps won't be insurmountable. The key is going to be to show that you are actually motivated to work for the firm.

Use all of your bids. After bidding is done, pick up interviews at firms that still have open slots. You want to have a full schedule for FIP. Research every firm you will interview with. Know which practice areas you are most interested in. Know the resume of the interviewers. Be able to tell them why that firm and be able ask intelligent questions about them.

During FIP go to the hospitality suites of any firm you will be interviewing with and any firm you would like to interview with. Sometimes firms that have full schedules will let you add in. If they don't you can follow up later if you have call-backs in the area and say you are still interested and will be in town, referencing the fact you met with so-and-so during FIP and were really impressed with the firm, etc. In the hospitality suites, remember you are being watched. Firms keep track of who attends, and the attorneys will often note who they spoke with. Treat your time there as part of the interview. If you can, go before your interview -- you can often get better information about the firm that you can incorporate into your interview. If you go afterward, be sure to express your interest in the firm, and if appropriate speak about your interview earlier.

Since your transcript is not going to be as strong as many of your classmates, you need to impress firms with your commitment, knowledge, and personality. In other words, you need to ace your interviews.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:Expect a wild ride. I think most employers prefer to see at least one H, but straight Ps won't be insurmountable. The key is going to be to show that you are actually motivated to work for the firm.

Use all of your bids. After bidding is done, pick up interviews at firms that still have open slots. You want to have a full schedule for FIP. Research every firm you will interview with. Know which practice areas you are most interested in. Know the resume of the interviewers. Be able to tell them why that firm and be able ask intelligent questions about them.

During FIP go to the hospitality suites of any firm you will be interviewing with and any firm you would like to interview with. Sometimes firms that have full schedules will let you add in. If they don't you can follow up later if you have call-backs in the area and say you are still interested and will be in town, referencing the fact you met with so-and-so during FIP and were really impressed with the firm, etc. In the hospitality suites, remember you are being watched. Firms keep track of who attends, and the attorneys will often note who they spoke with. Treat your time there as part of the interview. If you can, go before your interview -- you can often get better information about the firm that you can incorporate into your interview. If you go afterward, be sure to express your interest in the firm, and if appropriate speak about your interview earlier.

Since your transcript is not going to be as strong as many of your classmates, you need to impress firms with your commitment, knowledge, and personality. In other words, you need to ace your interviews.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for your insight. One additional question: do you know of any firms that will not even consider someone with straight Ps?

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:01 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:03 am

NYAssociate wrote:Why do I seem to be the only one astonished that this is 6 pages long? OP will probably get at least a V10 if he/she can polish that interview personality (aka go out into the world and network like crazy to brush up your skills). Firms, including those in the V10 and despite the economic crisis, are still desperate for Yale students. Well... "desperate" isn't the right word... but plenty are peeved when their "Yale yield" isn't quite high enough.

This sounds wrong.

Return to “Legal Employment”