Straight Passing at YLS: OCI Chances - Poll Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

At best, straight Ps at YLS probably lands you a job at a:

V5
20%
V10
13%
V25
23%
Hell If I Know
44%

Total votes: 100

RVP11

Gold

Re: Straight Passing at YLS: OCI Chances

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:15 am

dbt wrote:
RVP11 wrote:ITT: people underestimate the strength of YLS.

Top 85%????????????? GUFFAW. Try 100% of the class. As for YLS people going to Cadwalader, that probably has a lot more to do with poor interviewing skills (omg aspie) than with the fact that some YLS people have straight Ps.
Hey if you've got the stats that's awesome news. I'd love to know that YLS is so amazing that while CCN median kids are hoping to get a firm job, YLS below median are sitting pretty on Skadden offers. But that is a significant difference in placement power. It would be awe-inspiring.
YLS below "median" can get Skadden.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:16 am

RVP11 wrote:
dbt wrote:

Top 85%????????????? GUFFAW. Try 100% of the class. As for YLS people going to Cadwalader, that probably has a lot more to do with poor interviewing skills (omg aspie) than with the fact that some YLS people have straight Ps.
Hey if you've got the stats that's awesome news. I'd love to know that YLS is so amazing that while CCN median kids are hoping to get a firm job, YLS below median are sitting pretty on Skadden offers. But that is a significant difference in placement power. It would be awe-inspiring.
Lol. Restating your conclusion is not going to change anything. But again, it'd be cool if it's true.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am

RVP11 wrote:
dbt wrote:

i don't doubt this - i also don't doubt that a solid percentage of those will cower at the sight of real work and be wandering a redwood forest approx. 18 months post-graduation

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am

My conclusion is backed up by what I know about Skadden's selectivity at my school + what I know about YLS's placement power through anecdotal evidence + how employers probably look at YLS transcripts. I don't have any data to support my conclusion, just as no one has any that negates it.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 am

dbt wrote:The callbacks listed reflect those who accepted a callback invitation, not those to whom invitations were extended. lol @ you.

Really? That sounds odd.
To say the least.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:20 am

doyleoil wrote:and exactly what happened to the three who went on callbacks but didn't get offers?
one ended up landing a prestigious appellate clerkship with some Romanian misogynist out in California, the other is now a Skadden Fellow (ironically enough), and the third is an associate at Wachtell.*

* the stories described herein may or may not be true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:21 am

:P

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 am

Anonymous User wrote::P
does the misogynist enjoy long walks amongst the redwoods?

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:23 am

RVP11 wrote:My conclusion is backed up by what I know about Skadden's selectivity at my school + what I know about YLS's placement power through anecdotal evidence + how employers probably look at YLS transcripts. I don't have any data to support my conclusion, just as no one has any that negates it.
What school (or range if you're uncomfortable with name) are you at, and what's the selectivity data?

Edit: And FWIW, Skadden neither was on the most selective list for NYU, nor was it one of the firms that had the nuts to try and move into the most selective range last year. But OCS did suggest that it's a firm that hires at the top of the next highest range...so if that's true, it would be somewhere between top 25-35%.

I could see Yale below median getting Skadden then. But I doubt it would dip far below median. That's just a huge difference in placement power between Yale and NYU...and NYU did pretty damn well this last year compared to peer schools.
Last edited by dbt on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:26 am

dbt wrote:
RVP11 wrote:My conclusion is backed up by what I know about Skadden's selectivity at my school + what I know about YLS's placement power through anecdotal evidence + how employers probably look at YLS transcripts. I don't have any data to support my conclusion, just as no one has any that negates it.
What school (or range if you're uncomfortable with name) are you at, and what's the selectivity data?
MVPB. Can't give you the data, but I can say that it supports the conclusion that below "median" (whatever that is) at YLS could get Skadden pre-ITE and probably still can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:27 am

So far we've learned the following:

1) Straight Ps at Yale may or may not constitute "below median"
2) A Yale student with straight Ps may or may not land a summer job with Skadden, Arps
3) Skadden, Arps is probably not the most selective law firm in existence

Hooray, Us!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:So far we've learned the following:

2) A Yale student with straight Ps may or may not land a summer job with Skadden, Arps

Hooray, Us!
4) People who shouldn't post anonymously post anonymously

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am

dbt wrote:
He's at UVA--and I almost never agree with him but he's dead on on this one (I know what he's talking about in terms of the data he's basing this on as well).

Also keep in mind that the gap between HYS and CCN (although I highly debate the idea of NYU being grouped with CC when it comes to nationwide as well as clerkship/government placement) is larger than any other one step gap in the top 14 (ie bigger than the gap between CC MVPB or MVPB and DCGN). The placement stats reflect this. You're heavily underestimating Yale's placement power.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 am

RVP11 wrote:
dbt wrote:
MVPB. Can't give you the data, but I can say that it supports the conclusion that below "median" (whatever that is) at YLS could get Skadden pre-ITE and probably still can.
Well, as to median, Yale may not say that it ranks students, but employers are differentiating between students (even at Yale) in one way or another. I imagine they have historical data to get an idea of where straight P's places you in the class.

And pre-ITE is massively different than ITE, such that I wouldn't be comfortable extrapolating from pre-ITE data. But as I said in my earlier post, I think you're right that below median (though not far) could get Skadden now.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 am

Hiei wrote:
dbt wrote:
He's at UVA--and I almost never agree with him but he's dead on on this one (I know what he's talking about in terms of the data he's basing this on as well).

Also keep in mind that the gap between HYS and CCN (although I highly debate the idea of NYU being grouped with CC when it comes to nationwide as well as clerkship/government placement) is larger than any other one step gap in the top 14 (ie bigger than the gap between CC MVPB or MVPB and DCGN). The placement stats reflect this. You're heavily underestimating Yale's placement power.
This is really cool to hear.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:32 am

dbt wrote: NYU did pretty damn well this last year compared to peer schools.
The '70-75 percent of our students got jobs from OCI' meme has been assiduously circulated by the OCS at both Chi and CLS. Just sayin'.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:33 am

RVP11 wrote:

Hooray, Us!
5) There may or may not be more to learn.
6) The aforementioned list is likely to expand.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:33 am

dresden doll wrote:
The '70-75 percent of our students got jobs from OCI' meme has been assiduously circulated by the OCS at both Chi and CLS. Just sayin'.
Well, to be honest, I put NYU somewhere below Chi and CLS. So peer schools are some weird combo of MVPB and CC. But yea, from what I'd heard, NYU did 70%, Columbia 67%, hadn't heard about Chicago.
Last edited by dbt on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 12262010 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:34 am

dresden doll wrote:
I believe 67.5% of our students who did EIP got at least one offer.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:35 am

Hiei wrote:the gap
any other one step gap
The placement stats
you grab a lot of words out of the air

but at least you know how to put them together into sentences, i'll say that much for you

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 am

dbt wrote:
Hiei wrote:
dbt wrote:

This is really cool to hear.
LOL you may not like it but it's the truth. Look at the difference in the hiring rates between HYS and CCN at the uber elite firms (Munger, Williams and Connolly, Wachtell, Jenner and Block DC, Kellog Huber, Covington DC--it's much larger than the other placement gaps in the top 14).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

Hooray, Us!
5) There may or may not be more to learn.
6) The aforementioned list is likely to expand.
7) i wish emmyd was back

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 am

LOL you may not like it but it's the truth. Look at the difference in the hiring rates between HYS and CCN at the uber elite firms (Munger, Williams and Connolly, Wachtell, Jenner and Block DC, Kellog Huber, Covington DC--it's much larger than the other placement gaps in the top 14).
Maybe I wasn't clear. I was serious.

It's really cool to hear that Yale is so much better than NYU. I'm trying to transfer.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 am

Hiei wrote: the hiring rates
oh, there he goes again - well-done, maestro

Hiei

New

Post by Hiei » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:39 am

dbt wrote:
Maybe I wasn't clear. I was serious.

It's really cool to hear that Yale is so much better than NYU. I'm trying to transfer.
My mistake; actually for a lot of the firms that I saw you mention you were interested in transferring to HYS may actually not be a bad idea (somewhat sadly in my opinion-- at a certain point people should just respect performance).
oh, there he goes again - well-done, maestro
LOL doyel is a funny guy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”