Is there any reason to do OCI if I don't want a firm job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is there any reason to do OCI if I don't want a firm job?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Just finished 1L at a T14 and I'm positive that I don't want to do Big Law. I'm also pretty sure I don't want a firm, unless it's a boutique in my field, and 1) I don't think such firms do OCI, and 2) I don't know if I would want to waste my 2L summer even at a boutique firm when there are many more useful ways to spend the time (for my career goals, that is.)

So, are there really any reasons to do OCI if you're not interested in firm life? People have said that it's a great chance to practice interview skills, but I've got WE, so that's an "eh" reason to waste time, energy and money. I'm at a loss to think of other reasons to do it, but, TBH, I didn't really do much research on OCI during the year, as it wasn't on my radar. Reassure me I'm just taking up interview spots that could be used by worthier classmates.

traehekat

Re: Is there any reason to do OCI if I don't want a firm job?

Postby traehekat » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:13 pm

If you really have no interest then ethically speaking you probably shouldn't, I guess.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Maybe you could hang out with your friends at OCI, eat lunch with them, keep them company and encourage them. Blow your interview with the firms they are interested in thereby making them look better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:16 pm

KMaine wrote:Maybe you could hang out with your friends at OCI, eat lunch with them, keep them company and encourage them. Blow your interview with the firms they are interested in thereby making them look better.

Eh, most of my friends are kind of losers, so I'd have to really look bad to make them look good.

/snark :lol:

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:17 pm

Since you are an Anonoymous User, and clearly not somebody I know, I am not the least bit offended.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:26 pm

KMaine wrote:Since you are an Anonoymous User, and clearly not somebody I know, I am not the least bit offended.

You've always seemed like a pretty decent TLS poster, and if I knew you, wouldn't expect you to be the kind to be easily offended.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:32 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Interview experience can't hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:1) Hard to answer w/o knowing what you DO want to do. If you want to, say, litigate constitutional matters, then a stint at a big firm would be a very wise career move even for a limited period of time. If you want to be a public defender... I mean, 30 grand?

2) There isn't much else going for 2L summers. In fact, outside of some fed agency hiring, it'll make you look like you failed to get a big firm job.

3) Summer at a firm is a fabulous life. Recruiting, events, wining, dining, $$$$$. It'd be a fun way to spend the summer, and kind of silly to skip out on it since it will be expected of you whatever you pursue afterward so you won't be hurting your clock or anything, you know?

1 + 2) without fully blowing my cover, I have WE et al., that points toward IP-ish work. A fed agency is precisely where I should try and land next summer, with second place going to related public sector work.

3) I worry that I would in fact be hurting my clock, as it's slightly more abbreviated than those of my classmates. Plus, there's an IP-ish event which takes place the same weeks as one of our OCI events - I'd much rather attend the former, but would begrudgingly give it up if necessary. (Although, the event and the OCI actually take place in the same city.)

Thank you for bringing up good points. I appreciate it.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:05 pm

My serious answer is this. You are at a T-14 and thus have "earned" a right to those interviews. Unless the other event is really important to you, I would give myself a chance at the interviews.

Maybe firm life is for you, maybe there is a niche where you would fit in at one of the firms. I would not worry about my classmates if I were you. They are not more "deserving" than you. If you really feel strongly that you should not be doing the interviews, fine. But I do not think you have a moral responsibility. If you get a chance to try Biglaw for a summer, I think that would be a good thing. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think it would preclude you from pursuing post-grad employment in other PI-ish areas.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm

I can think of about 20,000 reasons.

Here's one of them:

--ImageRemoved--

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 pm

In this economy you should really try to get anything you can. First off, interviewing for a firm job is not the same as getting a firm job offer. No doubt even your T14 is littered with those types.

Moreover, what if you do skip OCI. Do you have some sort of other job lined up? Do you have some special connection? Point is, even with IP, jobs are scarce as hell and only a person with tremendous hubris or naivete would pass up a job opportunity.

Think about your great grandfather; he probably sold apples on the streets during the Great Depression to feed his family. Do you really think it's wise to pass up 160k without viable alternative job options?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 am

SteelReserve wrote:In this economy you should really try to get anything you can. First off, interviewing for a firm job is not the same as getting a firm job offer. No doubt even your T14 is littered with those types.

Moreover, what if you do skip OCI. Do you have some sort of other job lined up? Do you have some special connection? Point is, even with IP, jobs are scarce as hell and only a person with tremendous hubris or naivete would pass up a job opportunity.

Think about your great grandfather; he probably sold apples on the streets during the Great Depression to feed his family. Do you really think it's wise to pass up 160k without viable alternative job options?

This is a good perspective. Also, think of the average person on the street. Probably just defaulted on his mortgage, worried about keeping job and feeding his kids. "So, we would like you to come to some job interviews. You will get about 15 interviews. All of the jobs pay $145-$160K per year. It may be kind of a long shot (not sure if this is the case with OP, as again, I have no idea who she/he is) and the jobs are not the exact job you are looking for, but pretty close."

"No thanks, I think that I may be able to get some interviews next year if I keep my grades high."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 am

SteelReserve wrote:In this economy you should really try to get anything you can. First off, interviewing for a firm job is not the same as getting a firm job offer. No doubt even your T14 is littered with those types.

I know this is TLS, but honestly, the money is not an issue for me - I did not go to law school for the BigLaw salary (even for the few customary years.) From what I know of OCI, it's mostly BigLaw and MidLaw employers, right? So skipping OCI might be "passing up an opportunity," but there are plenty of other jobs I don't want (investment banker, tax accountant, etc.) and I don't think of never applying for them as missed opportunities either. Do I have some connections? Yeah, if I want to work straight-IP (though not my IP-ish interest - hence, my preference to spend next summer working in that area.) But I don't think that law jobs are so scarce that I have to interview for everything that comes along. Then again, maybe I am just naive (since I don't think I'm a complete egomaniac.)

So, the question remains, if I don't want a firm job, is there any benefit (other than practicing interviewing) to do OCI?

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 am

No, if you eliminate all of the reasons for doing OCI, there is no reason to do OCI.

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 am

Do you already have something lined up for the summer? If not, what are you planning to do? Save the whales? I think the posters are saying at minimum you want something to put on your resume.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:50 am

merichard87 wrote:Do you already have something lined up for the summer? If not, what are you planning to do? Save the whales? I think the posters are saying at minimum you want something to put on your resume.

Whales are intelligent, sensitive and noble creatures. See Tar <<<<<<<

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 am

merichard87 wrote:Do you already have something lined up for the summer? If not, what are you planning to do? Save the whales? I think the posters are saying at minimum you want something to put on your resume.

Seeing that, even in the T14, only a 1/3rd to half of all students might even land a paying summer associate gig ITE, clearly there are other things to do (and saving whales, btw, can be a very lucrative summer job.) I don't think I'm alone in wondering about the do-or-dieness of OCI, particularly if the goal in the end is not a firm job. It just seems like it's some type of "right of passage" for all students at higher-ranked schools -- are there rising 3L or graduated TLSers who chose not to do OCI, and did you regret it?

KMaine wrote:No, if you eliminate all of the reasons for doing OCI, there is no reason to do OCI.

I guess I wondering if I've eliminated all the reasons. Are there things I'm not thinking about besides 1) not wanting a firm job, and 2) not caring about honing my interviewing skills?

dood

Postby dood » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:15 pm

Ran here to say in before thesealocaust but I was not quick enough.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:25 pm

I'm also not doing OCI, except for a few public interest spots. That will only be about 3 interviews though. At least at Berkeley, I think it's something around 20 students who don't do OCI every year. I think the vast majority are people who know for sure they want public interest.
I went back and forth on this decision because for a while I thought that it's stupid not to do OCI even if I wouldn't accept any of the jobs. After talking to a few professors and some lawyers in the field I want they told me that there is no reason to do it if I don't want to, so long as you have other strategies for finding a job or have other opportunities lined up. I have a job offer for after I graduate already, which is from a contact I made during my position this summer. It's not my #1 option but it sounds pretty cool, and I'll take it if that's what ends up working out. Because of that, I see no reason to put myself through 20+ interviews just to waste my time and an employer's time, plus take up an interview spot that someone else wants far more than I do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:48 pm

worldtraveler wrote:I'm also not doing OCI, except for a few public interest spots. That will only be about 3 interviews though. At least at Berkeley, I think it's something around 20 students who don't do OCI every year. I think the vast majority are people who know for sure they want public interest.
I went back and forth on this decision because for a while I thought that it's stupid not to do OCI even if I wouldn't accept any of the jobs. After talking to a few professors and some lawyers in the field I want they told me that there is no reason to do it if I don't want to, so long as you have other strategies for finding a job or have other opportunities lined up. I have a job offer for after I graduate already, which is from a contact I made during my position this summer. It's not my #1 option but it sounds pretty cool, and I'll take it if that's what ends up working out. Because of that, I see no reason to put myself through 20+ interviews just to waste my time and an employer's time, plus take up an interview spot that someone else wants far more than I do.

OP here -- thank you! This is kind of where I'm at... I definitely can land something after school (even if it means going back to my prior work or utilizing my partner's contacts,) but I went to school with the hope that a JD, when combined with my previous educational experience, would allow me to pursue my "lifelong dream" (yeah, cue the sappy music...) It just seems a waste of time to pursue OCI -- but when I see all my classmates getting ready, I wonder if I'm making a mistake, even though I'm pretty sure I'm not. Good to see I'm not alone.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:25 pm

To be fair, the lulz. Each spot you get is a spot taken from a classmate.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:35 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:To be fair, the lulz. Each spot you get is a spot taken from a classmate.

I wish I could quit you.

tls gets more xoxo-ish all the time - if we can keep the racism and sexism at bay, though, i say it's all for the best

Return to “Legal Employment”