Chances at OCI top 20% at School ranked in upper 40s.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances at OCI top 20% at School ranked in upper 40s.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:04 pm

I have no idea what to expect for OCI. Grades 1st semester sucked (median). Grades 2d semester much better (2A+, rest A's, 1 B+). That puts me at top 20%.

Have great work experience this summer, will have journal. Do I have a shot at any decent jobs at OCI?

Anonymous User

Re: Chances at OCI top 20% at School ranked in upper 40s.

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm also a rising 2L, top 20% at a lower T1, and my personal feeling is that this is not enough for a meaningful shot "at any decent jobs at OCI." However, there will be other employers at OCI besides the traditional big firms that might give us a look. Also, if you have some special background, you might be ok at the top 20% rank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:45 pm

How about some additional opinions as to what people at top 15-25% at lower T30-50 schools should be doing.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:56 pm

How about some additional opinions as to what people at top 15-25% at lower T30-50 schools should be doing.

Proceed with the assumption that OCI won't get you the job. Start the networking yesterday. That means join anything you can that will give you interaction with practicing attorneys (don't just show up at 'networking events'- really try and get to know people). If you have not already, start developing a practice area interest (one not exclusive to large firms).

rando

Postby rando » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:39 pm

I would say your odds in a lower tier one with top 20% and journal are not particularly good. That is for a paying firm job. Your odds are better if you are in a secondary market in which your school has a particularly good reputation.

Return to “Legal Employment”