got a C+ second semester--time to drop out?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hithere

Re: got a C+ second semester--time to drop out?

Postby hithere » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:06 pm

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:You only got one bad grade? Can't you bring your GPA up in the subsequent semesters? Does anyone have experience with having a blemish on their transcript?

Grades don't matter after 1st year.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 pm

to be fair though, there are certainly people within top 25% at lower T1 schools who have landed pretty nice gigs, it's hardly impossible (regional firms). But it is still not a comfortable place to be by any stretch

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:15 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lawhawk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawhawk wrote:Come on guys, is it really that bad? 55% of his class and it's hopeless? what if he had been 49%?

i am 10-15%tile at a 50 ranked school and I am worried about my job prospects.......

But there's a difference between being worried about job prospects and being told that you're not going to find a job and should drop out. Surely someone in the top 20% will get a good job (probably not biglaw, but still...).

I just find it hard to believe that someone who is basically median at a top 50 school won't be able to get a legal job

One of TLS's Admins is an unemployed T14, top 1/3 graduate.

People aren't fucking around when they say it is bad out there.

Don't mean to be a dick, but maybe he should have spent less time moderating an internet forum/conversing with strangers online and more time doing what adults do to get good jobs (i.e. networking, impressing people with non-internet interpersonal skills).

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Don't mean to be a dick, but maybe he should have spent less time moderating an internet forum/conversing with strangers online and more time doing what adults do to get good jobs (i.e. networking, impressing people with non-internet interpersonal skills).

LOL. Just pointing out that good grades don't guarantee shit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm Top 5% at my T30, and I'm extremely worried about my prospects. Out of top half at a T1 = time to cut losses.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:21 pm

OP, how much debt are you in now and how much more debt will you have if you stick it out and graduate?

If you're going on a big scholarship, I'd say stay. But if you are going at sticker or close to it, I'd say drop out.

And as thesealocaust is saying, it depends on your job prospects, you goals, your connections to the market you're in, etc. Lots of other variables. But if you are looking at huge debt by sticking around, it may be time to cut your losses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:23 pm

thesealocust wrote:I just want to repeat over and over again that the calculus in these situations are always very goal dependent. I know a lot of law students go to LS for a 6 figure starting salary. The statistics said that nationally during boom time, roughly one in every 9 law students with that plan had it pan out. I'm sure it's worse now. But to anyone who still really wants to be a lawyer, medianish at a T1 is faaaarrrr from fatal. It's far from 'drop out then kill self' territory either.

The reassurance is, well, reassuring. The main reason I'm worried is that I want to move out of my LS's region, and at T30's that's like a 1 in a 100 shot.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:25 pm

I would talk to as many people with real experience in the field as you can. I don't really know how much any of us know, beyond anecdotal stories of woe, etc. The decision to drop out is a significant one, as is the decision to stay

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:26 pm

pocket herc wrote:to be fair though, there are certainly people within top 25% at lower T1 schools who have landed pretty nice gigs, it's hardly impossible (regional firms). But it is still not a comfortable place to be by any stretch

Agreed. My roommate was in the top 25% at a t1/t2 school and received a biglaw SA position. He told me after roughly the top 10% or so, everything was hit or miss. If they just happen to need x and x and you fit hte criteria, you will be hired.

ITE, my friend told me that outside the top 1/3 or so, biglaw firms will not even interview you. In other words biglaw wouldnt even give you a chance to show that you have x y and z.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL. Just pointing out that good grades don't guarantee shit.

To be fair, DF, there is no reward for hitting 20k posts. No confetti poppers popped; no buttercream-frosted cookie cake to christen the moment. If you're holding out for that, and I suspect you might be, it's probably best to cut your losses now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:30 pm

More like MOST kids on LR had jobs.... Def not 90%. More like 50-70%.

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
pocket herc wrote:to be fair though, there are certainly people within top 25% at lower T1 schools who have landed pretty nice gigs, it's hardly impossible (regional firms). But it is still not a comfortable place to be by any stretch

Agreed. My roommate was in the top 25% at a t1/t2 school and received a biglaw SA position. He told me after roughly the top 10% or so, everything was hit or miss. If they just happen to need x and x and you fit hte criteria, you will be hired.

ITE, my friend told me that outside the top 1/3 or so, biglaw firms will not even interview you. In other words give you a chance to show that you have x y and z.

Seems accurate.

It definitely isn't 100% of the students in the top 10% and 0% of the rest who get big law from regional schools, but you'd still rather be up top when it comes time to bid, interview, resume spam, etc.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:37 pm

miamiman wrote:To be fair, DF, there is no reward for hitting 20k posts. No confetti poppers popped; no buttercream-frosted cookie cake to christen the moment. If you're holding out for that, and I suspect you might be, it's probably best to cut your losses now.

Really? I got a $25 to Olive Garden for 2,000. I think 10,000 is a set of power tools and 20,000 is a new washer and dryer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:39 pm

Also, interning at a biglaw firm makes me NOT want to work in this environment. A lot of pressure to bill hours. Tons of politics involved. I want to work for a government agency now....

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:43 pm

hithere wrote:
LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:You only got one bad grade? Can't you bring your GPA up in the subsequent semesters? Does anyone have experience with having a blemish on their transcript?

Is this true? I landed a summer job with just my first semester grades, so I agree that first year is important. Do your grades in the second and third year really mean so little?

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 pm

I wonder about this myself, especially if you miss out on OCI, would stellar second year grades not help? If you continue to improve to the level of Order of the Coif, it won't make a difference in sending out your applications?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:45 pm

sigh i realized life is a neverending rat race. I always think " if i just get x i will be really happy and that is all that i ever want." When you get it, then you want more... and more.... I remember saying if i break the top 20%tile i will be really happy and never worry again....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 pm

pocket herc wrote:I wonder about this myself, especially if you miss out on OCI, would stellar second year grades not help? If you continue to improve to the level of Order of the Coif, it won't make a difference in sending out your applications?

Yes, it will help but the problem is that most biglaw/midlaw firms dont show up to do 3L oci. The best you can hope for 3l is a gov position.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 pm

LoyolaLaw2012 wrote:
hithere wrote:

Is this true? I landed a summer job with just my first semester grades, so I agree that first year is important. Do your grades in the second and third year really mean so little?

They are vastly more important, and they are essentiall the only thing that matters when it comes to biglaw due to OCI being in the fall. But your 2L/3L grades will have some weight if you are looking for a job that hires later.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sigh i realized life is a neverending rat race. I always think " if i just get x i will be really happy and that is all that i ever want." When you get it, then you want more... and more.... I remember saying if i break the top 20%tile i will be really happy and never worry again....

You're a sad, little man.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:57 pm

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:06 pm

thesealocust wrote:re: 2L and 3L grades - they will never get you a big firm job, but might help for gov / pi / non-big-firm firms, etc.

Keep in mind that people often put special focus on 1L grades which are by custom curved and identical between schools. 2L and 3L courses can vary tremendously, be uncurved seminars in many cases, etc. and are treated with greater skepticism (to some employers at least).

This makes sense.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:11 pm

thexfactor wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7OyKAFu50M

sing it with me... game over flip flip flip game over flip flip.....

TITCR

Return to “Legal Employment”