Not getting enough substantive tasks hurt 2L SA prospects?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Not getting enough substantive tasks hurt 2L SA prospects?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 pm

I'm currently spending my 1L summer working at a DA's office in a decent sized city. As of now, it appears that I'm not going to get very much substantive legal work / research working there. If things stay the same, is this likely to hurt my chances of landing a 2L summer associate position?

Also, I'm at a T2 that places decently within the city but has little reach elsewhere and am above top 5%. I'm considering transferring to a T-14 for a better chance at other major legal markets. Would getting into MVP for instance change anyone's thoughts on my question above w/r/t DC or NY?

PLATONiC

Re: Not getting enough substantive tasks hurt 2L SA prospects?

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:11 pm

Do you think you'd be able to climb back up the ranks once your grades have been removed after transferring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:13 pm

PLATONiC wrote:Do you think you'd be able to climb back up the ranks once your grades have been removed after transferring?

I suppose there's no way to predict that but it seems moot regardless since firms would only have my 1L grades during OCI. More curious as to whether 1L employment experience can effect 2L summer ITE. I know in prior years, the common thoughts around here were that 1L summer really doesn't matter.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:33 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:46 am

Any thoughts from 3Ls who have been through OCI before?

Return to “Legal Employment”