will not being bilungiual hurt me?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stratocophic

Re: will not being bilungiual hurt me?

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Nom.

[edit: apparently I suck at transliterating. Googled a better version: Na'am]
--ImageRemoved--
Sorry guys. Someone had to do it... for teh lulz.

mbw

Postby mbw » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:07 pm

8h8... But then again, I'm trilingual (English, French and an NDN/First Nations language) and it took me most of the year to get my loans approved -- seeing that the US government didn't think I was a citizen (in part because I spoke those three languages...) Had to actually provide a copy of my birth certificate/passport to get my $... I mean, come on... we've been US citizens for 86 years now...

dukelawguy144

Postby dukelawguy144 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 pm

I am as white, uncultured and as blue collar as they come lol. I hope we are not expected to know more than English

Posner

Postby Posner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:16 am

Tranquillo amigo

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:24 am

dukelawguy144 wrote:I am as white, uncultured and as blue collar as they come lol. I hope we are not expected to know more than English

What SEC school did you go to?

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:26 am

as long as it doesn't affect your breathing (or give you snoring problems), I'd say one lung will be just fine. 18 holes of golf with a client could be more of a gamble than you might prefer though......

profs<3mycomments

Postby profs<3mycomments » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:35 am

Tak

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:48 am

Despite the fact that I read/write/speak Korean just as well as an average Korean, I doubt that I'll be able to put these skills to use in the future. This is because, in order to secure a position that requires or even prefers a candidate to be fluent in Korean, I'll have to be at the right place at the right time (meaning that some legal employer happens to be in need of a person that is fluent in both Korean and English), or else I'd have to frantically search for a job of this nature (and potentially forgo better career opportunities).

It's quite unfortunate that I speak a language used in a country with very little political/economic force in the global market.

I wish I were Chinese.

creamedcats

Postby creamedcats » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:00 am

Depends on your goals. You can obviously be successful without another language. Having one does increase your choices. I speak a second language and I'm certain it's not going to write me a ticket to a JD-required job without good grades.

It's more of a feather in your cap, the equivalent of a decent 'soft' in an LS application than it is a requirement, unless you want a specific overseas market etc.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:06 am

creamedcats wrote:Depends on your goals. You can obviously be successful without another language. Having one does increase your choices. I speak a second language and I'm certain it's not going to write me a ticket to a JD-required job without good grades.

It's more of a feather in your cap, the equivalent of a decent 'soft' in an LS application than it is a requirement, unless you want a specific overseas market etc.

What I just now thought of when it comes to an advantage of speaking another language is if you want to hang up your own shingle in a big city (i.e. Chi, NY, LA, etc.), preferrably a tort litigation practice. I think I'd be able to connect well with Koreans immigrants by posting a Youtube video/advertisement telling them if they slipped on a sheet of ice in front of a building, I'd be able to sue the owner of the building for them.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:29 am

It can hurt for stuff like wanting to work in an NGO or immigration law. For just a general firm, my guess is no.
Knowing other languages can also be a bit of a pain, because you might be asked to do translation work instead of legal work sometimes, while your colleagues all get the legal stuff. Not that it has ever happened to me or anything...

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 am

I'm just going to throw it out there.... Spanish? It's not hard.

Now, if you're needing some random regional thing, like Creole or something, good luck with that.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:16 pm

I've seen your avatar at least three times before and just now noticed the legs.

aryncita

Postby aryncita » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Last edited by aryncita on Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doinmybest

Postby doinmybest » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Kchuck wrote:
dukelawguy144 wrote:I am as white, uncultured and as blue collar as they come lol. I hope we are not expected to know more than English

Low blow.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:55 pm

doinmybest wrote:
Kchuck wrote:

Low blow.

Dear haters: Vanderbilt. hth.
Other than the 'Dores? uuuuuh...

Return to “Legal Employment”