how far can networking get you?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how far can networking get you?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Since my 1L grades are middle of the pack at a middle of the pack school, I have been advised to kiss a lot of ass. I am interning this summer with a small partnership in Akron. This partnership sublets from one of the bigger (better paying) firms in Akron. I have met every partner in this larger firm and have talked/lunched with most everyone. My boss at the partnership doesn't mind because he is buddies with all the partners at the larger firm and since he's not paying me anyways, doesn't mind when I tag along with these partners to court, etc. Since my grades are no where near good enough to get a 2L internship at this firm (they like top15%), would my relationships built over such a short time outweigh grades, and possibly get me a 2L internship with them? Or am I just dreaming? Also, when would you suggest inquiring about an internship; soon, or closer to Fall OCI?Thanks for any help.

thesealocust

Re: how far can networking get you?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:20 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks for the reply. Given that I'm in Akron, hardly a destination city, would contacts be more valuable here, than in say, NYC, DC, etc.. The firms here seem to like hometown kids and even say so on their website. Anyone have any experience with this in other small cities, or is the bottom line simply grades trump all?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Networking really can make things happen. But no one is going to give you a job just because they met you once (or a few times). What networking does give you is a chance that you'll connect with someone in a way that can lead to the kind of relationship that will get you a job. It's sort of like dating--not every date is going to end in a marriage, but every marriage starts with a first date.

Posner

Postby Posner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:20 am

Generally speaking (99% of the time), you need to be in the ballpark for grades. I've heard of good family friends of senior partners at large law firms not being able to pull weight for kids who WERE within the range for grades. Networking is often a soft factor (pushes you ahead of people with similar credentials), not a giant trump card.

However, that said, you don't network to use people as an immediate payoff. You network with people with whom you enjoy their company and slowly develop mutually beneficial relationships. Sometimes the payoff is early for one of you, sometimes its longer term. Either way, building a strong network helps you cultivate and advance your career. Additionally, assuming you are social, it's an enjoyable way to spend free time.

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:29 am

--ImageRemoved--

philip.platt

Postby philip.platt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 am

Kchuck wrote:--ImageRemoved--

haha - that is what I was thinking

Return to “Legal Employment”