Slightly Above Median at RU-Newark

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Slightly Above Median at RU-Newark

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:08 pm

My stats:

I'm going into my third year barely above the curve(3.0).
I have had 3 internships so far: 1 with a judge, 1 with in house council; 1 in government.
Journal(non-law review)
This summer I failed to secure a paid job(actually found one last year).

Seriously, any chance at finding a job ITE?

thesealocust

Re: Slightly Above Median at RU-Newark

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:10 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:My stats:

I'm going into my third year barely above the curve(3.0).
I have had 3 internships so far: 1 with a judge, 1 with in house council; 1 in government.
Journal(non-law review)
This summer I failed to secure a paid job(actually found one last year).

Seriously, any chance at finding a job ITE?

Journal is Journal, don't be so down about not getting Law Review. Writing is writing, so talk about your journal as if its the shit!

In your 3L year, do a clinic. Many students rest upon their laurels (i.e. grades). You can stand out by showing your experience and work ethic. I've seen idiots get 'A's because they went to office hours everyday and knew what the professor was looking for. Law School GPA is not a measure of how good an attorney you'll be. So you're not the best law 'student'. Who cares? Show potential employers that you are the best candidate.

bedbathandbeheadings

Postby bedbathandbeheadings » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:00 am

look into shitlaw

SteelReserve

Postby SteelReserve » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Even superior court, trial level clerkships are going to be very tough for you to land, assuming you are trying for a clerkship. I'm really not sure what advice to give other than network, which I really am not that great at. See if your judge can hook you up with something.

I would also try to make some ins in non-law related employment and take out some books in the library on sales jobs and how to be a better salesman....sales seems to be the only place in the current economy still hiring entry level people.

Luckily from rutgers your loans cannot be all that bad but I would definitely look into some part time work that pays, eg, waitering, etc.

I have a paying firm job though not biglaw and if I had been in your shoes I would def try to squirrel away some money from a waitering job. If you're not publishing a comment or working in a paid job during 3L, you will have plenty of free time so don't waste it on the computer or in a bar.

rando

Postby rando » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 pm

There are plenty of small firm lawyers that need work done during the school year. The pay is likely only going to be in the $10-15/hr range and won't line up for full-time employment, but the point is to have more substantive legal employment on your resume, as well as being in a good place to meet attorneys and firms that will be hiring. i.e. networking while working.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 pm

just curious, can your CDO be of any help? Also, second rando, find any legal work you can to strengthen your resume.

Return to “Legal Employment”