Please Help Me Bid- Below Median at NYU

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Please Help Me Bid- Below Median at NYU

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:02 pm

I have a a GPA of 3.05 (only Bs & a B+). I did not go to a good undergrad.
All I want in life is a secure job at a NY firm that pays the market rate.
Anyone have any advice for me?

icydash

Re: Please Help Me Bid- Below Median at NYU

Postby icydash » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:12 pm

do better? You got into NYU, so you're as smart as everyone else there most likely. Work harder, and stop drinking (or drink more, depending on how it effects you ;-) ).

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 pm

how far below the curve is this?

let/them/eat/cake

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:how far below the curve is this?

give sealocust a couple data points (e.g. percentile cutoffs) and he'll tell u...

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:23 pm

this is a bad place to be.....

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 pm

thesealocust wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:how far below the curve is this?

give sealocust a couple data points (e.g. percentile cutoffs) and he'll tell u...

Somewhere between bottom 10 and bottom 20%. Possibly worse.

It's a very gentle curve at that end, so it's hard to say. Definitely worse than 40th%ile.

owlfredo

Postby owlfredo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm

-edited-
Last edited by owlfredo on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spondee

Postby spondee » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:19 pm

owlfredo wrote:Anyone have any idea where a 3.45 puts me? I know it's somewhat above median... but is it top 33%? Anyone?

I'd say top third, yeah.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 pm

owlfredo wrote:NYU makes things so difficult by not releasing rankings or percentiles. Anyone have any idea where a 3.45 puts me? I know it's somewhat above median... but is it top 33%? Anyone?

OP: I'm as clueless as you about this. Some have told me that you actually should put in a few bids at the "V10" firms, as they actually will have some of the largest classes. It'll be a tough sell... but if you're a really good interviewer, you never know what may happen.

Really, beyond all else, really focus on interviewing well. Do lots of mock interviews over the summer, and be friendly, articulate, and smooth come August. Don't rely on OCI. Start networking and contacting attorneys now. It doesn't (and shouldn't) just be you emailing an attorney and asking for a job; instead, start trying to solicit people for informational interviews. Find attorneys who went to NYU (or your undergrad) and just ask questions. This takes a long time, but honestly-- this is how most networking occurs. You have to start now, and carry it on even after OCI has come and gone.

I don't trust OCS when they say that hiring will improve, but I know that I've seen (some) below-median people snag biglaw.

Except for a handful of firms (i.e., those in the 3.5+ bracket), you should be fine. Heck, I'd throw two or three of the 3.5+s on the bid list. You have 50 bids for crissakes.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Try to pick up additional interviews by filing in for extra slots. Perhaps try some bids on a firm that did mass-layoffs and may be looking ahead to re-leverage if things are starting to look busy (i.e. Latham, Cadwalader, White & Case)- the people with better grades might ignore such firms.

Other than that, understand that ITE, you need to go in with the understanding that OCI should not be your "plan A" for finding a job.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All I want in life is a secure job at a NY firm that pays the market rate.

Oh is that all?

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:57 pm

nealric wrote:

Try to pick up additional interviews by filing in for extra slots. Perhaps try some bids on a firm that did mass-layoffs and may be looking ahead to re-leverage if things are starting to look busy (i.e. Latham, Cadwalader, White & Case)- the people with better grades might ignore such firms.

Other than that, understand that ITE, you need to go in with the understanding that OCI should not be your "plan A" for finding a job.

This is key. Read Gurella tactics for getting a job. NOW!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:05 pm

OP here.
Thanks all for your honesty. Thank you nealric for your advice. Howcani, I just bought the book, thanks.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:07 pm

icydash wrote:do better? You got into NYU, so you're as smart as everyone else there most likely. Work harder, and stop drinking (or drink more, depending on how it effects you ;-) ).

There's a chance that around 50% of people are NYU are below the median GPA (technically, there could be 0 people below median if the frequency of the median is greater than half the sample population). It would be a bizarre contention that "below median" equates to either not working hard enough, or drinking too much.

Being admitted to NYU is an incredible accomplishment, they're providing you with an excellent education - in the company of some incredibly bright students. You'll be fine in the long-term, although arguably given the crap market conditions, you might have a tough time right off the bat.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:14 pm

I'll let you know what I do with my bids at Uchicago. I am hugging median now but I think I will be below it after this quarter.

lawwatevz

Postby lawwatevz » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Surely, the LSAT accurately guages a law student's ability to excel the law.

yellowjacket2012

Postby yellowjacket2012 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:41 pm

lawwatevz wrote:Surely, the LSAT accurately guages a law student's ability to excel the law.

It doesn't "accurately gauge," I don't think. It is a good 'indicator' though, of "academic" potential as a law student. I could be proved wrong empirically, but the things tested on the LSAT seem to have a correspondence with the overall "evaluation of strengths/weaknesses of arguments" theme that I've noticed in my 1L year.

Return to “Legal Employment”