McDermott Will & Emery Pulls Offers (and questions)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
miamiman

Re: McDermott Will & Emery Pulls Offers (and questions)

Postby miamiman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:30 pm

IAFG wrote:no no, just outsourcing the heavy lifting in advance. if left to my own devices i would probably bid on K&E and whichever firms names' sounded fun. "lol freshfields... bid!"

yes freshfields does sound like the jungle gym ball pit of biglaw. unfortunately, it's still just biglaw.

My personal favorites, ranked according to "funness" of name alone:

1) Clifford Chance
2) Pillsbury Winthrop
3) Steptoe & Johnson

EDIT: and of course VENABLE LLP
Last edited by miamiman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Matthies wrote: basically you don't have any chance to learn anything valuable or marketable to move forward in your career/offer another employer.

Thanks. Alright, I guess I'll just have to... ::gulp::

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:32 pm

miamiman wrote:
IAFG wrote:no no, just outsourcing the heavy lifting in advance. if left to my own devices i would probably bid on K&E and whichever firms names' sounded fun. "lol freshfields... bid!"

yes freshfields does sound like the jungle gym ball pit of biglaw. unfortunately, it's still just biglaw.

My personal favorites, ranked according to "funness" of name alone:

1) Clifford Chance
2) Pillsbury Winthrop
3) Steptoe & Johnson

EDIT: and of course VENABLE LLP

Haha love the list.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
rayiner wrote: It seems silly to risk the negative publicity for such a meager saving.
My guess would be that either these guys didn't have great SAs (would've been no-offered for summer 2008, but got a pass summer 2007 when things were hunky-dory), or that MWE is facing a cashflow issue.

Agree. One other scary possibility: They're testing the waters to see if qualified students take the positions and are scheming about slowly increasing the number of these positions to wind up with a model where the more talented Attorneys have an army of talented reviewers. Gotta love division of labor.

What the hell did you just write?

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:34 pm

ChewbaccaDefense wrote:2) I'd probably take the gig and immediately crank my job search back up.

+1

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm

miamiman wrote:
Scallywaggums wrote:One other scary possibility: They're testing the waters to see if qualified students take the positions and are scheming about slowly increasing the number of these positions to wind up with a model where the more talented Attorneys have an army of talented reviewers. Gotta love division of labor.

That they may be seeing if these 3 people bite, and if they do the firm may start offering more of these positions in the future to divide labor more, making their $160K/year investments more efficient with more support. Just a rambling musing.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:37 pm

clifford... the big red dog?! ZOMG YES!

rando

Postby rando » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
miamiman wrote:
Scallywaggums wrote:One other scary possibility: They're testing the waters to see if qualified students take the positions and are scheming about slowly increasing the number of these positions to wind up with a model where the more talented Attorneys have an army of talented reviewers. Gotta love division of labor.

That they may be seeing if these 3 people bite, and if they do the firm may start offering more of these positions in the future to divide labor more, making their $160K/year investments more efficient with more support. Just a rambling musing.

Doc review is contract attorney work. They don't need brilliant minds to do it and certainly don't want to be known as the firm to send their "talented" folk to the doc review minefields. There is a reason that firms do their best to keep SA offer rates high. Creating a model that talented attorneys do doc review defeats that purpose, will scare away their LS pipeline, and destroy their reputation. This is not the answer.

There must have been more going on with those 3.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:50 pm

miamiman wrote:It's not condescending when the other person is lazy.

IT'S NOT ABUSE IF SHE WOULDN'T MAKE ME A GODDAMN SANDWICH.

Also, the idea of the staff reviewer position expanding scares the hell out of me. I'm trying to convince myself it won't happen and if it does it won't be me. Anybody willing to offer more informed help?

Aaaaand ninjaedit to the rescue.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:54 pm

IAFG wrote:clifford... the big red dog?! ZOMG YES!

so wait.. your list now reads:

1. Freshfields
2. Clifford Chance
3 ?????????

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:56 pm

rando wrote:...There is a reason that firms do their best to keep SA offer rates high. Creating a model that talented attorneys do doc review defeats that purpose, will scare away their LS pipeline, and destroy their reputation... not the answer.

Thanks for this^
...aaand for this this ::disappointment at the absence of an upside-down carrot:: [kochel's follow-through]
Last edited by Scallywaggums on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kochel

Postby Kochel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:00 pm

Staff attorneys have been around forever, both for litigation and corporate departments. They lurk in the background at firms, are excluded from general associate life and are generally treated as second-class employees.

Since they're not partner-track positions, firms don't have to recruit them out of law school or bring them through the summer program. It would not make sense for any firm to make a practice of turning some number of summer associates into staff attorneys, because the firm can acquire as many staff attorneys as it wants without undertaking the expense. MWE is probably just making a token gesture--a lifeline, so to speak, for a handful of would-be litigators.

Return to “Legal Employment”