law review boost?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

law review boost?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 pm

In terms of choosing what firms to bid on, does anyone have any knowledge/experience with how much, if any, being on law review should help one's bidding prospects? E.g., if one should bid on firms that hire within one's gpa range, is there a rough estimation for how one should alter thier bidding if on law review (e.g. if one has a 3.4 and is on law review, then should he/she bid as though he/she has a 3.5/3.6?). Just asking to prevent under/overshooting. thanks

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby ggocat » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:52 pm

I would only bid based on GPA and let law review be the thing that distinguishes you from the other people who bid.

But this is a question that should probably be directed to your CSO rather than TLS, where bidding may vary from school to school.

Good luck.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 pm

I know two people who wrote-on to law review, and said that it didn't seem to help much. Obviously go to career services, but without data to show otherwise, I wouldn't bid any higher than someone in your range normally would.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:13 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:07 pm

thesealocust wrote:The strong impression I get is that LR + not top of the class grades will have you over-perform those without law review, but not perform as well as somebody with slightly better grades. Definitely don't let it alter your bidding strategy.

And LR will likely open other doors (will make clerking easier, etc.) even if it doesn't get you Cravath out of OCI.


You say LR would allow one w/o top grades to out-perform those w/o LR but not those w/ better grades? This seems to assume that anyone with better grades will been on LR? What about those that have slightly better grades but are not on LR?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You say LR would allow one w/o top grades to out-perform those w/o LR but not those w/ better grades? This seems to assume that anyone with better grades will been on LR? What about those that have slightly better grades but are not on LR?

I think what he means is something like this:

3.3 GPA + LR > 3.3 GPA w/o LR

3.5 GPA w/o LR > 3.3 GPA + LR

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby TTT-LS » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 pm

,
Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ender Wiggins
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:34 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby Ender Wiggins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Cavalier wrote:I know two people who wrote-on to law review, and said that it didn't seem to help much. Obviously go to career services, but without data to show otherwise, I wouldn't bid any higher than someone in your range normally would.


True...sadly, true. Law review only helps insofar as you grade on as opposed to writing on (unless you're at a T-14 where you pretty much write on no matter what).

It really is all about GPA.

User avatar
underdawg
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:15 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:22 pm

interesting. so you guys think LR has barely any boost independent of grades? so would some 4.0 d00d at CCN who didn't do LR be treated similar to 4.0 LR d00d? probably not, because interviewers might just assume 4.0-no-LR is just lazy. even though 4.0-no-LR might've chosen not to do LR because it has no boost independent of grades. whoa i just blew my mind

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby ggocat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 am

underdawg wrote:interesting. so you guys think LR has barely any boost independent of grades? so would some 4.0 d00d at CCN who didn't do LR be treated similar to 4.0 LR d00d?

Read the thread before posting? No one suggested this. Consensus seems to be that LR will distinguish between people who have similar GPAs but will probably not have a significant "boost" compared to a non-LR student with higher grades. (How much higher, of course, is unknown. Hiring is often about more than just law review and grades.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

another reason I was curious about this was because, from what I have heard (not knowing whether it's actually true or not), the most important grade is your LRW grade. Granted, I imagine it is bad to assume that one's LRW grade counts for much or that employers will actually go through each and every grade, but it seems reasonable that LRW would be most important. If this is true, then being on LR would seem to help one's employment prospect seeing as LR seems to be a reflection of how good someone is at LRW-type shit.

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:another reason I was curious about this was because, from what I have heard (not knowing whether it's actually true or not), the most important grade is your LRW grade. Granted, I imagine it is bad to assume that one's LRW grade counts for much or that employers will actually go through each and every grade, but it seems reasonable that LRW would be most important. If this is true, then being on LR would seem to help one's employment prospect seeing as LR seems to be a reflection of how good someone is at LRW-type shit.

My LRW grade at UVA is median. Am I screwed?

User avatar
ggocat
Posts: 1662
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby ggocat » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:LR seems to be a reflection of how good someone is at LRW-type shit.

I disagree with this assumption unless a write-on competition is the primary or sole means of selecting membership.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:05 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:another reason I was curious about this was because, from what I have heard (not knowing whether it's actually true or not), the most important grade is your LRW grade.

This would make it hard for students at many T14 schools to find jobs, since the best grade they can get is "Pass".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:01 pm

most important does not necessarily mean very important. Have you guys really lost your lsat skills already?
And I'm just asking b/c that is what a few 2Ls told me. I never said it was in fact true.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:most important does not necessarily mean very important. Have you guys really lost your lsat skills already?

Um. If grades are important, and you refer to one grade as your most important grade, it is rational to believe that means you think the grade is very important.

Of course, it's funny that you defend it in one line and then distance yourself from it the next:

Anonymous User wrote:And I'm just asking b/c that is what a few 2Ls told me. I never said it was in fact true.

Holy spontaneous backtrack, Batman.

IBThatGuy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby IBThatGuy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Law students bid on firms? I realize this would be some sort of point system, but I just ran a Bing search and didn't find anything helpful. Can someone give me a sense of what that means?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:35 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:most important does not necessarily mean very important. Have you guys really lost your lsat skills already?

Um. If grades are important, and you refer to one grade as your most important grade, it is rational to believe that means you think the grade is very important.


Poor thing. There is a difference between only gradES being important and A grade being important. Would an illustration aid your feeble mind?
Person 1: Civ Pro A; Con law A; LRW B.
Person 2: Civ Pro B; Con law A; LRW A.

If only gradES matter, then person 1 and 2 would have equal employment prospects (barring interview skills etc.). If A specific grade matters more than others (e.g. if in this case LRW) for a reason other than only how it contributes to your overall gpa then person 2 would have an advantage over person 1.

Of course, it's funny that you defend it in one line and then distance yourself from it the next:

Anonymous User wrote:And I'm just asking b/c that is what a few 2Ls told me. I never said it was in fact true.

Holy spontaneous backtrack, Batman.


stop being weird

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:from what I have heard (not knowing whether it's actually true or not), the most important grade is your LRW grade.


completely false, extraordinarily amusing.


In agreement, mostly out of blind hope.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8441
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: law review boost?

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:53 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Poor thing. There is a difference between only gradES being important and A grade being important. Would an illustration aid your feeble mind?

This entire response doesn't need to be anonymous, and has been flagged by a user for inappropriate conduct. The only reason I'm not unscreening it is that you're the OP and it's not hard for people reading to figure out it's been the same person making all the anonymous comments in this thread. Instead I'm just going to warn you that the anonymous feature is not meant to cloak petty hostility like your "poor thing" and "feeble mind" remarks, and if you keep using the anonymous feature in this capacity, you will be outed in response and may face harsher action as well.

To put it more bluntly, don't play with fire.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Poor thing. There is a difference between only gradES being important and A grade being important. Would an illustration aid your feeble mind?

This entire response doesn't need to be anonymous, and has been flagged by a user for inappropriate conduct. The only reason I'm not unscreening it is that you're the OP and it's not hard for people reading to figure out it's been the same person making all the anonymous comments in this thread. Instead I'm just going to warn you that the anonymous feature is not meant to cloak petty hostility like your "poor thing" and "feeble mind" remarks, and if you keep using the anonymous feature in this capacity, you will be outed in response and may face harsher action as well.

To put it more bluntly, don't play with fire.


I understand and I apologize. I do not understand this though: why does a feisty response to a feisty post always mean the former is out of line and the inciter but the latter is free from blame (e.g. I have an honest inquiry so I decide to ask TLS, but then I get scoffed at)? That happens all the time here and I do not understand. But anyway, my apologies.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: law review boost?

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I understand and I apologize. I do not understand this though: why does a feisty response to a feisty post always mean the former is out of line and the inciter but the latter is free from blame (e.g. I have an honest inquiry so I decide to ask TLS, but then I get scoffed at)? That happens all the time here and I do not understand. But anyway, my apologies.

Two things:

1) If you're posting anonymously, people will get angry a lot more quickly if you become petty or insulting, because not only are you doing so, but you're doing it under a cloak of anonymity so people can't see who you are. This is not cool. If you don't like what I say to you, well, you're free to hate me, but you also know who I am. I'm a mod, so I can see who you are, but most people can't, and that upsets them because they don't even know who to be angry at.

2) There's two kind of "feisty posts", and it's very important to understand the difference between the two. The first is making fun of a person's comments. People will scoff or mock, there's no real way to prevent that without turning this place into Nazi Germany, and besides, it's part of people communicating to each other when an idea is abundantly wrong. This happens a lot; please do not get butthurt over this. If you say something mockable, people will probably mock it. It's a good indication that you're wrong, and should take a step back and reconsider why you said it in the first place.

The second, though, is making fun of a person's intelligence in general. When someone says "this is a ridiculous comment" or otherwise scoffs at and mocks a particular point you've made, they're not calling you a stupid person, but when you say "have you guys forgotten your LSAT skills", "poor thing", and "feeble minded", that's exactly what you're doing. That escalates things in an unnecessary way.

So, I would encourage you not to get caught up in making those kind of comments, especially not in situations where you're using the anonymous feature. Keeping those things in mind will help you avoid the worst kind of trouble, and also to not get so upset when people do attack your comments.

Now, I hope that this sufficiently clears things up for you that you can drop it. If anyone wishes to resume having on-topic conversation they should do so. Otherwise I'll lock the thread due to content inappropriate for the employment forum.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.