Good firms for international law(arbitration/public int law)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Good firms for international law(arbitration/public int law)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:20 am

Anyone know good firms on this? I'm looking for firms with strong NY and London practices(from the UK and would eventually like to return there, would ideally like to split the summer between NY/London although not sure how feasible that is). I'm also looking for somewhere with a good commitment to pro bono and preferably a supportive, collegial work environment.

I realize this is all very specific, and i can research any one of these things but finding all of them in one firm will take some time(and may not even exist). I'm happy to put in the time but just wanted to know if anyone has any specific knowledge in this area.

Renzo

Re: Good firms for international law(arbitration/public int law)

Postby Renzo » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:42 am

"A supportive, collegial work environment" in Biglaw? Let me know where you find that.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:09 am

OP here. Prob should have phrased that better...mainly I don't think I'm built for the MOST cuthroat of firms and would rather work at a smaller/lower ranked place that is slightly more supportive.... But I realize nowhere is going to be THAT wonderful on that front.

And also not a flame, although if what I'm looking for is that unrealistic its good to know now.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:15 am

Why so anonymous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 am

rad law wrote:Why so anonymous?

Because given my posting history + the fact i've articulated these desires to people IRL it would be pretty easy to work out who I am

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:32 am

thesealocust wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And also not a flame, although if what I'm looking for is that unrealistic its good to know now.

Fair enough. There is basically no such thing as what you describe, at least not at the entry level.

Ie no possiblity of doing int arbitration at entry level?

in that case any recs on what the best route would be to eventaully get there? and if not that then still just good international firms with a solif practice on both side of the atlantic.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:02 am

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:14 pm

Thanks. I'm not generally as naive about the field as I come across in these posts(I worked in 'international human rights' for two years before law school and became very disillusioned very quickly), except to the degree that I may have overestimated the degree to which international arbitration is a field into which one can go from law school. I did look at the chambers rankings for int arb(http://www.chambersandpartners.com/USA/Editorial/37069) and several of those firms also have public international law practices(ie freshfields http://www.freshfields.com/practices/di ... cinterlaw/, white and case http://www.whitecase.com/publicinternationallaw/ although I imagine they are quite small and extremely hard to break into). I am aware that I won't necessarily make it into those areas initially but I would like to work for a firm where maybe one day I could do that...altho ideally I'd like to work for the FCO eventually, although I need to live in London for two years before I could even apply due to residency issues.

Really while being able to do something in int arb would be my ideal, I just want to work at firm/in a practice area that would sponsor my visa in the US and would allow me to move back to the UK if/when I decide i want to/my SO could move with me.

jamaicanjynx

Postby jamaicanjynx » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Friend of mine is at Allen & Overy. Being fluent in a second language helped. They represent some Latin American governments in arbitration and she was able to travel as a summer associate while working on int'l arbitration cases. I think they're a UK firm but you should double check that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Check out Crowell & Moring's International Dispute Resolution practice group. It could be a good fit. Based in DC, but the firm has offices in London, Brussels, NY, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”