USS BP Decides where you (rising 2Ls) should bid Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Diamond

USS BP Decides where you (rising 2Ls) should bid

Post by 09042014 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 pm

List school, rank, interests, and other relevant info.

BriaTharen

Silver

Re: USS BP Decides where you (rising 2Ls) should bid

Post by BriaTharen » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:List school, rank, interests, and other relevant info.
LOL at a 0L giving 2Ls advice on bidding

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:49 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:List school, rank, interests, and other relevant info.
LOL at a 0L giving 2Ls advice on bidding
It's not DF, it's BP. You don't understand, man.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:51 pm

Better than top 15%, probably better than top 10%, George Washington University. Want to stay in DC. Interested in lit, criminal stuff, etc but really have no idea what a law firm is other than a good place to pay down debt. Hope to lateral into cool govt or PI work down the road. No work experience but decent internships, etc. during college.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 pm

I love these BP advice threads, but come on... this seems like a stretch. 0Ls giving 2Ls advice on bidding? Really?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:I love these BP advice threads, but come on... this seems like a stretch. 0Ls giving 2Ls advice on bidding? Really?
NY TO 190

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:56 pm

HLS. First semester 4H/1P (LRW), second semester 1H (core 1L class)/4P. (Published "recommended" curve is 37% H, 55% P, 8% LP per class.) Interested in East Coast only. "Cultural" elements like relatively good hours, friendly atmosphere, strong pro bono tradition very important.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:10 am

i know someone who 2L'ed at boies schiller and decided to work at paul weiss instead (maybe thru 3LOLCI?!?!?) specifically for pro bono. i can't imagine boies would be hostile at pro bono, more like an average approach to it i would think (good for publicity and experience for babylawyers but no inherent value in it). i guess paul weiss is better then. iuno take this dubious nugget for what it's worth

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:14 am

underdawg wrote:i know someone who 2L'ed at boies schiller and decided to work at paul weiss instead (maybe thru 3LOLCI?!?!?)
I think that's exactly what 3L OCI is for: Strong candidates who got offers from their 2L firms but want to look elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:19 am

thesealocust wrote:
underdawg wrote:i know someone who 2L'ed at boies schiller and decided to work at paul weiss instead (maybe thru 3LOLCI?!?!?)
I think that's exactly what 3L OCI is for: Strong candidates who got offers from their 2L firms but want to look elsewhere.
ITE? God knows.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:22 am

wtf is this bp crap anyway. is it some lounge meme?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:23 am

NYAssociate wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
ITE? God knows.
Sure, ITE it's all different, my point was that 3L OCI was never likely to pan out for people who either failed to get 2L SAs or failed to get offers from their 2L SA firms, it was more of a lateral-before-starting type opportunity, and also that when I write, I think I use far too many, commas.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:29 am

pre-ITE, at many schools you get biglaw if you had a pulse, so why would 3L OCI help people who missed the biglaw boat peeps out? plus who wants to hire those no-offered SAs who did that dumb crap that ended up on ATL? probably a LOLCI

ITE, bloodbath, not much room, deferred associates, THOUGH people who got no-offered might still be qualified = we all know it was a LOLCI

"post-ITE": who the heck knows? in august it could be something like: firms understaffed, don't want to get caught with pants down if recovery is faster than expected, plenty of room, and way more qualified people who missed the biglaw boat = NOT a LOLCI?

i don't think you can just be like, uh even during boom it was a LOLCI, so it will always be one. my stance is who the fuck knows mang

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 am

Back in the day, 3L OCI was actually quite decent. 2009 OCI? I don't know any 3L who got something from it. 2010? I guess I'll find out, though I'm very happy with my firm and don't really want to work at any of the firms that are coming.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 am

underdawg wrote:wtf is this bp crap anyway. is it some lounge meme?
Pretty much. A group of self-absorbed posters circle-jerking it up all day.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:36 am

NYAssociate wrote:Back in the day, 3L OCI was actually quite decent. 2009 OCI? I don't know any 3L who got something from it. 2010? I guess I'll find out, though I'm very happy with my firm and don't really want to work at any of the firms that are coming.
for people that missed the biglaw boat? unless it was someone who worked gov, PI and changed their mind, i don't see why firms would hire those kids for 3L OCI. like when HLS was putting like 95% of their kids or whatever into biglaw and almost everyone got offers. i see 2010 3L OCI as being in the unique spot of: wow you can nab a median T10er who missed out of biglaw completely! because of ITE, there are (pre-ITE) qualified kids without biglaw. and there's rumblings about biglaw being understaffed. i see this 3L OCI of having the small possibility of being actually being something.

mostly i want the use of "post-ITE" to catch on tho. the post-ITE is NOW man! NY TO 1900!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 am

I guess. I don't know.

But the heyday of biglaw recruiting pretty much had 3L OCI as a good way for people to switch it up. Today? God knows. And the firms coming to 3L OCI at my CCN aren't too encouraging either (SullCrom, Cravath, Simpson, Boies, WTF, LOL, YEAHRIGHT, Paul Weiss).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:42 am

Do me!

You know my school/rank already. Interested in transactional law and possibly litigation as long as it isn't tort law or something like that. I want to work in a place with a congenial atmosphere where the people I am working will still have a sense of humor and know how to have a good time.

Also "lol Goft you're not going to get a job out of OCI" is a credited response.
Last edited by 98234872348 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:43 am

oh yeah i guess i shoulda considered the roster of 3L firms before making a hasty speculation

i guess 3L oci is for the dude who got "stuck" at like GDC or something to try to nab CSM

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 am

3L OCI was often utilized pre-ITE by people who didn't fit particularly well at their firm, much like in the example underdawg presented. Paul Weiss is not, I think, particularly known for its pro bono work; it's certainly not as well known as PBWT, for example, which I'm researching heavily.

Any other responses? Basic sense of where my reaches, targets, and safeties are? (HLS guy still.)

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:53 am

a) I'd probably take GDC over Cravath at this point haha.
-------

WRT OP's Post:

b) I don't think any NYC firm is particularly known for their humane hours.

c) I think "friendliness" differs substantially from firm to firm, and it's largely a subjective element too. Some firms are just known for being friendly to a fault (see: passive aggressive). Others are friendly, but will tell you to your face if something is fucked up. Some people want the former environment. I prefer the latter. I think the former firms tend to be along the lines of DPW and Debevoise. The latter tend to be places like Paul Weiss, Boies, Kirkland, etc. Typically, the more entrepeneurial the firm expects you to be, the more aggressive the culture is.

d) The only firm I know that takes pro-bono seriously is Jenner Block. There's a Vault ranking of firms by pro-bono hours, so that might help out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:08 am

betasteve wrote:Me. DF, you should know details.

P.S. Don't suck at this, or you will get lock.
Haynes and Boone for a paralegal position.

Kraft & Associates if you make Law Review.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:HLS. First semester 4H/1P (LRW), second semester 1H (core 1L class)/4P. (Published "recommended" curve is 37% H, 55% P, 8% LP per class.) Interested in East Coast only. "Cultural" elements like relatively good hours, friendly atmosphere, strong pro bono tradition very important.
Enjoy dla piper.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:10 am

mistergoft wrote:Do me!

You know my school/rank already. Interested in transactional law and possibly litigation as long as it isn't tort law or something like that. I want to work in a place with a congenial atmosphere where the people I am working will still have a sense of humor and know how to have a good time.

Also "lol Goft you're not going to get a job out of OCI" is a credited response.
Audi of Jacksonville if you can swing the interview.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:22 am

This thread sucks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”