Calling TTT-LS and other 3L+s: where to bid?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Calling TTT-LS and other 3L+s: where to bid?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Exactly at the top 20% mark at T10 (MVP). Targeting NYC mostly, though I'm also interested in CA. I will also be mass mailing to my home secondary market and other markets in the region.

My goal: I want to go to a firm where I'll enjoy the work and have some flexibility on practice area - I only care about prestige/Vault rank insofar as the higher ranked firm will provide better exit opportunities and more easily allow me to return to a firm in my hometown several years down the road, if I decide to do that.

About me:
    Liberal arts major at a TTT UG
    Average interviewer
    Slightly more outgoing than average - would probably prefer an outgoing/fratty atmosphere
    1 year of WE but overall I'd say my resume is below average compared to my peers
    Haven't settled on any particular practice area, but I'd lean toward the transactional side
    Nothing on my resume says NYC or CA - my UG/WE/1L summer were all in my hometown

I've come across two schools of thought:
    (1) beware of underbidding; the very top firms are still taking big classes; therefore I should still be using bids on them because they haven't necessarily gotten any more selective with regard to grades
    (2) ITE, "underbid" as much as possible and don't waste any bids on firms where my GPA was only borderline in 2007-2008.

(1) would have me bidding on firms like Skadden, DPW, STB, CGSH, etc. while (2) would mean I should aim all my bids at V20-V100. Which should I be doing? Does not having anything NYC-related or business/finance-related hurt me badly on interviewing with NYC firms with mostly transactional practices?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

let/them/eat/cake

Re: Calling TTT-LS and other 3L+s: where to bid?

Postby let/them/eat/cake » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:46 pm

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:58 pm

I wish I could help you here but I've got nothing. I hope to be in your position next year though. I'm posting to ask: Why are you calling TTT-LS students out in the title lol?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Core wrote:I wish I could help you here but I've got nothing. I hope to be in your position next year though. I'm posting to ask: Why are you calling TTT-LS students out in the title lol?

TTT-LS is a poster. He went to the most rancid of TTT's but finished very well.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Core wrote:I wish I could help you here but I've got nothing. I hope to be in your position next year though. I'm posting to ask: Why are you calling TTT-LS students out in the title lol?

Oh, gotcha. Awesome.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've come across two schools of thought:
    (1) beware of underbidding; the very top firms are still taking big classes; therefore I should still be using bids on them because they haven't necessarily gotten any more selective with regard to grades
    (2) ITE, "underbid" as much as possible and don't waste any bids on firms where my GPA was only borderline in 2007-2008.

Both make sense. How many bids do you have? I think you should do a bit of both.

I'll repeat what I posted in another thread, with some adaptation:

I think the key is to do more firm research than you might have done in a normal year with a healthy economy. In a good economy, where everyone could count on getting a dozen offers, it was OK to do some rough research and then just see what happened during EIP. Now, it's important to make sure your resume and your interests are as compatible as possible with the firms you're interviewing with, and that you know exactly why you are bidding on each firm you're bidding on.

A firm might still overlook a GPA that is below their usual cutoff if they think that you are an exceptionally good fit. More importantly perhaps, a firm whose GPA requirements you meet, but which suddenly has hundreds of applicants for its ten-member summer-associate class, will require you to stand out in some way. Your school and grades will get you in the door for at least an interview at many places, but there will be many others with you. At that point it's your task to convince the employer that you are the person they want to hire, because you are interested in doing exactly the type of work that the firm does, or you have exactly the right language skills or work experience. If you don't have relevant experience or skills, at least make sure you can articulate why you want to work for them, what sets them apart from other employers in your mind, whatever it is that makes them sound better to you than other firms. Especially firms that hire smaller summer classes place a lot of emphasis on finding the right candidates, passing up on students with stellar grades from top schools in favor of candidates who want to do the work that the firm does and fit well in the firm culture. You want to be that kind of candidate.

Others may have better ideas on how to spread your chances strategically, but my advice would be to apply only with firms that genuinely pique your interest, because of the work they do, their location, the way they assign work, or whatever other interesting information you find out about them by reading their website, Vault, Chambers, Google news, etc.

If everyone says Firm A is better than Firm B, but somehow you get a better 'vibe' from Firm B, screw Firm A and apply with Firm B. Even if Firm A has a higher Vault ranking or is more popular in your school. If you try to sign up with firms that truly seem interesting to you, it will shine through in your interview, and you won't be one of those candidates giving standard answers to every question asked of them.

One last thing:
(1) Does not having anything NYC-related or business/finance-related hurt me badly on interviewing with NYC firms with mostly transactional practices?

No. NYC firms seem to assume that the whole world wants to work in NY, which will work in your favor. NY is the one place where firms don't want to see geographical ties, because they just assume that you'll want to stay.

And based on
Anonymous User wrote:Slightly more outgoing than average - would probably prefer an outgoing/fratty atmosphere
, Gibson Dunn should be on your list. (And no, I didn't work for them.)

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Cooley?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:36 pm

General Tso wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Cooley?

Worse, Northwestttern.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
General Tso wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Cooley?

Worse, Northwestttern.

I had typed literally those words but couldn't bring myself to post it.

DF: Do you think BP could help us rising 2Ls figure out where to bid? *hint hint* *nudge nudge*

Best idea I've heard in a long while.

Return to “Legal Employment”