Help/Hurt/Neither to contact nonprofit group as 0L. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help/Hurt/Neither to contact nonprofit group as 0L.

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:50 pm

So, I've found the non-profit group that I'd kill to work for 1L summer and beyond.

What foul, if any, would I commit by reaching out to this agency now to share with them my desire to help their cause now and next summer?? Any benefit?

Doubt this is all relevant, but:

— This group deals in an subject area in which I have 5-10 years of professional experience and would want to work in for the rest of my days, if I could be so lucky. It's an area that few law school students have experience in.
— This group works statewide in one of the country's largest states. It's lightly staffed and outsources most if not all of its legal work to partnering private firms. So it could be that working for the group 1L summer would be pointless - and instead that I should later try to get on with these firms?
— I'm moving six weeks before class starts and would be thrilled to do any kind of phone-answering, envelope-stuffing, etc. work before school starts, just to be a part of the group's work.
— I'm enrolling in a T30.
— I'm out-of-state, so I have an excuse as to why I've not contacted them before.

Any insight appreciated.

NewHere

Bronze

Re: Help/Hurt/Neither to contact nonprofit group as 0L.

Post by NewHere » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:03 pm

They might blacklist you forever.
They might eat you for dinner.
They might call the cops on you.

Pft. Is this a serious question?

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:12 pm

I don't think it would be a problem for you to volunteer your time but bringing up your legal career pursuits might be a bit premature.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:54 pm

NewHere wrote:They might blacklist you forever.
They might eat you for dinner.
They might call the cops on you.

Pft. Is this a serious question?
Thanks for that valuable input. Why waste time being a dick on the Internet when maybe you could instead be applying that energy on bar-exam study? Not everybody has it all figured out and put together as you clearly do. Good luck to you!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm not often a dick on the internet, and no, I don't have it all figured out.

It just seems such a non-question. If you are interested in working for X, does it hurt to apply for a job/internship with X? Of course not.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”