Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gymnastics

New
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Gymnastics » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 pm

This is amazing. Thank you!

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I am flying out for a CB (first one!) Wed evening. The firm said last week that they'd email me with the schedule closer to interview time. How long should I wait to hear from them before I get in touch to ask for the schedule? How long does "closer to interview time" usually mean?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3531
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby UVA2B » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am flying out for a CB (first one!) Wed evening. The firm said last week that they'd email me with the schedule closer to interview time. How long should I wait to hear from them before I get in touch to ask for the schedule? How long does "closer to interview time" usually mean?


They'll typically email the afternoon/evening before. I would wait until mid-late afternoon on Wednesday to email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:08 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am flying out for a CB (first one!) Wed evening. The firm said last week that they'd email me with the schedule closer to interview time. How long should I wait to hear from them before I get in touch to ask for the schedule? How long does "closer to interview time" usually mean?


They'll typically email the afternoon/evening before. I would wait until mid-late afternoon on Wednesday to email.

Thanks!

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2638
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby QContinuum » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 am

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't send you the schedule, you won't be expected to have studied up on the folks you'll be meeting. Actually means less work for you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

QContinuum wrote:If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't send you the schedule, you won't be expected to have studied up on the folks you'll be meeting. Actually means less work for you.

Agree. My firm deliberately does not give the interviewers' names in advance so candidates don't waste time researching them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't send you the schedule, you won't be expected to have studied up on the folks you'll be meeting. Actually means less work for you.

Agree. My firm deliberately does not give the interviewers' names in advance so candidates don't waste time researching them.


Good to know. Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm

What's the best answer for "why this location?" from a firm that you know values ties when you have none? I have no intention of returning home to work (if I can help it) and honestly do not have a preference.

Is it good enough to tell them that, or should I invent a cousin or something?

strawberrieee

Bronze
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:27 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby strawberrieee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the best answer for "why this location?" from a firm that you know values ties when you have none? I have no intention of returning home to work (if I can help it) and honestly do not have a preference.

Is it good enough to tell them that, or should I invent a cousin or something?


If you have to invent, a SO is much better than a cousin.

christianllang

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby christianllang » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am

GREAT post! Thanks for taking the time.

The podcast I host just did a "Callback Interview Q&A" panel that I thought might be helpful to those looking for interview guidance. You can find it here (as well as on iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher): https://blacklinesandbillables.com/podcast/ep-4-panel-callback-interview-qa/.

We may do a round 2, so if anyone has any unanswered questions, shoot them my way!

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Is it too early for rising 2Ls to be mass mailing? I know the standard advice is “no”, but it seems like many recruiters are on vacation this time of year or about to embark on travel for OCIs.

Is it better to appear in their inboxes in late August than now?

barkschool

Silver
Posts: 1009
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby barkschool » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it too early for rising 2Ls to be mass mailing? I know the standard advice is “no”, but it seems like many recruiters are on vacation this time of year or about to embark on travel for OCIs.

Is it better to appear in their inboxes in late August than now?


Recruiting is working harder now then all year. Start mailing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Preparing for open sign ups on a Symplicity site. Will the available time slots appear in search results? Or will you have to be on the precise page for the firm?

I think a lot of people will be logged on, so just want to know where I should be hitting refresh. Thank you.

Flarmanarnar

New
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:55 pm

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Flarmanarnar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Preparing for open sign ups on a Symplicity site. Will the available time slots appear in search results? Or will you have to be on the precise page for the firm?

I think a lot of people will be logged on, so just want to know where I should be hitting refresh. Thank you.


What are you talking about? If it’s just simple OCI bidding - you bid and then schedules are released later, you don’t get to pick a time slot. Otherwise, if this is a niche Symplicity question you should ask Career Services, not TLS.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:25 pm

Callback scheduled for a Super Interview Day in about two weeks. Is that considered to be "late" in the process? Should I be worried about spots filling up in the meantime?

nixy

Gold
Posts: 1637
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby nixy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 pm

First, if the firm does a Super Interview Day, they surely don’t anticipate filling spots before then, or they wouldn’t bother.

Second, what good does worrying do? It doesn’t change your situation one iota. You don’t have a job until you have a job. Would you change your application strategy if you thought spots filled up? Why?

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Thanks - just asking if that is objectively late in the season?

QContinuum

Moderator
Posts: 2638
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby QContinuum » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks - just asking if that is objectively late in the season?

No, this is the height of the season.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm

I am trying to find a thread about being a biglaw associate in SF/SV, where the cost of living is so much higher than NY. Does anyone have personal experience or knowledge of a thread about this?

Where do biglaw associates live? Do people have roommates at 190k starting salary? I cannot imagine having to "need" a roommate as a law school graduate.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am trying to find a thread about being a biglaw associate in SF/SV, where the cost of living is so much higher than NY. Does anyone have personal experience or knowledge of a thread about this?

Where do biglaw associates live? Do people have roommates at 190k starting salary? I cannot imagine having to "need" a roommate as a law school graduate.


No, you don't need a roommate. You can live nicely in SF on 190k. If we figure, super conservatively, you take home 10k a month after taxes (which assumes a 40% tax rate, and ignores your bonus), you can easily pay get a nice rental by yourself with plenty of cash to spare. Just did a quick glance on craigslist, looks like nice places in nice neighborhoods are trending at 3-4k/month.


One thing I'd recommend, as with any city, is to check with folks at your firm before you commit to a rental - particularly if you're doing it sight unseen - bc they can tell you if the neighborhood is trash or nice. I just saw a few places on craigslist advertised as super luxury apartments, but they're in rough/dirty neighborhoods. Your future colleagues will know what's good and what's not and I'm sure will be happy to give you some guidance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am

Hoping for some input from everyone, I have read a few threads on the subject but can't seem to find a consensus on the matter.

I had a CB 2 weeks ago from my first choice and have not heard anything back. I imagine I am in the 'hold' pile at this time. On the fence on whether I should reach out to the firm to re-express my interest. If I do reach out, would you recommend an email or a phone call? Should I direct my communications towards the hiring coordinator (only met with briefly during screening), or should I reach out to the partner who I had my screening interview with and who met with me after all my interviews on the CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:12 pm

Would you interpret this response to my post CB thank you note to mean that I have been dinged?

“Feel free to reach out as you try to find the right firm for you”

nixy

Gold
Posts: 1637
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby nixy » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would you interpret this response to my post CB thank you note to mean that I have been dinged?

“Feel free to reach out as you try to find the right firm for you”

No. Interviewers say all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. Don’t try to read the tea leaves; interview and move on. You haven’t been dinged until you’ve been dinged. But you also don’t have the job until you have the job, so put past interviews out of your mind and keep at it until you get something.

Anonymous User
Posts: 339513
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:15 pm

nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would you interpret this response to my post CB thank you note to mean that I have been dinged?

“Feel free to reach out as you try to find the right firm for you”

No. Interviewers say all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. Don’t try to read the tea leaves; interview and move on. You haven’t been dinged until you’ve been dinged. But you also don’t have the job until you have the job, so put past interviews out of your mind and keep at it until you get something.

But realistically, it does not seem like an attorney would say that if they were excited about voting "yes" on the candidate.

nixy

Gold
Posts: 1637
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby nixy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Would you interpret this response to my post CB thank you note to mean that I have been dinged?

“Feel free to reach out as you try to find the right firm for you”

No. Interviewers say all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. Don’t try to read the tea leaves; interview and move on. You haven’t been dinged until you’ve been dinged. But you also don’t have the job until you have the job, so put past interviews out of your mind and keep at it until you get something.

But realistically, it does not seem like an attorney would say that if they were excited about voting "yes" on the candidate.

Realistically, you have no idea what on earth the attorney was thinking when they wrote that. They could have been assuming the candidate was so great they'd have lots of opportunities and legitimately meant "come back when you're deciding which among all your offers is really the right fit for you and I'll tell you about this firm so you can decide." Also attorneys are super busy people and take thirty seconds to respond to a thank-you e-mail without thinking much about it and may not word them artfully.

Again, I'm not saying it is a sign they're going to get an offer, either. I'm only saying that there's no way they can know what it meant so there's no point in wasting energy on it. Like, I cannot emphasize enough that there is no point in autopsying your interviews until you get a final response (like there's no point in dissecting your exams after you've taken them and before you get the grade). Just. move. on.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.