Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gymnastics

Re: Compilation - OCI and Job Search Advice & Info

Postby Gymnastics » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:02 pm

This is amazing. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I am flying out for a CB (first one!) Wed evening. The firm said last week that they'd email me with the schedule closer to interview time. How long should I wait to hear from them before I get in touch to ask for the schedule? How long does "closer to interview time" usually mean?

UVA2B

Postby UVA2B » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am flying out for a CB (first one!) Wed evening. The firm said last week that they'd email me with the schedule closer to interview time. How long should I wait to hear from them before I get in touch to ask for the schedule? How long does "closer to interview time" usually mean?

They'll typically email the afternoon/evening before. I would wait until mid-late afternoon on Wednesday to email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:08 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am flying out for a CB (first one!) Wed evening. The firm said last week that they'd email me with the schedule closer to interview time. How long should I wait to hear from them before I get in touch to ask for the schedule? How long does "closer to interview time" usually mean?

They'll typically email the afternoon/evening before. I would wait until mid-late afternoon on Wednesday to email.

Thanks!

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 am

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't send you the schedule, you won't be expected to have studied up on the folks you'll be meeting. Actually means less work for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

QContinuum wrote:If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't send you the schedule, you won't be expected to have studied up on the folks you'll be meeting. Actually means less work for you.

Agree. My firm deliberately does not give the interviewers' names in advance so candidates don't waste time researching them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't worry about it. If they don't send you the schedule, you won't be expected to have studied up on the folks you'll be meeting. Actually means less work for you.

Agree. My firm deliberately does not give the interviewers' names in advance so candidates don't waste time researching them.

Good to know. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:05 pm

What's the best answer for "why this location?" from a firm that you know values ties when you have none? I have no intention of returning home to work (if I can help it) and honestly do not have a preference.

Is it good enough to tell them that, or should I invent a cousin or something?

strawberrieee

Postby strawberrieee » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the best answer for "why this location?" from a firm that you know values ties when you have none? I have no intention of returning home to work (if I can help it) and honestly do not have a preference.

Is it good enough to tell them that, or should I invent a cousin or something?

If you have to invent, a SO is much better than a cousin.

christianllang

Postby christianllang » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:34 am

GREAT post! Thanks for taking the time.

The podcast I host just did a "Callback Interview Q&A" panel that I thought might be helpful to those looking for interview guidance. You can find it here (as well as on iTunes, Google Play, and Stitcher): https://blacklinesandbillables.com/podcast/ep-4-panel-callback-interview-qa/.

We may do a round 2, so if anyone has any unanswered questions, shoot them my way!

Return to “Legal Employment”