Potential Biglaw Understaffing? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Kohinoor

Gold

Re: Potential Biglaw Understaffing?

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:I know what "gay" means, I didn't know where "jipped" came from.

You sound like the type of person who has never read Aristotle, Epictetus, or any other old-school ethical philosopher, and therefore has not come to place value on the role of intention, but rather judges things solely on outcome. Many arrive at this value on their own, without the need to read philosophers, but you have not, and thus sound like the kind of person with the moral framework of a 6 year old.

Just thought you should know.

PS, you're dragging me into the disruption of an incredible thread. PM me in the future when taking jabs.
--ImageRemoved--

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:25 pm

^ While funny, the intent in context is obviously more than a jest. If I didn't have some bizarre attachment to this anonymous personality, I would ignore it because it is totally irrelevant. But, since I am attached, and I suspect that many are thinking "LOLZ, Scally just got pwnd" I will dignify it with a response.

Here was the original attack:
You sound like the type of person that calls something "gay" and then justifies it by explaining, "Oh no, I didn't mean homosexual, I just meant lame!"

My response was not "what I said wasn't racist", because it was racist; my response was "no, I'm not the type of person that calls something 'gay' and then justifies it..." My reasoning was that I did not know "jipped" was a branch-off from "gypped", which is a racially charged word for cheated, suggesting gypsies engaged in such acts.

My use of "intention" was meant to explain why, had I known what it meant, I would not have used the word. Yes, what I said was racist, but I am not "the type of person that... etc." because those types of people use "gay" as "lame" with the knowledge that gay also means homosexual. Your cartoon is using "intent" in a way that I was not, which is why it's irrelevant and does not serve to discredit my reasoning. The difference between intending to use "gay" as "lame" and my use of "jipped" as "cheated" is that I was 100% innocent, while the former chooses to use a word that offends because s/he does not care enough about those who might be offended.
I can't believe I just spent time explaining that distinction.

FWIW, I always call people out when they call something "gay". Always.

Note to self: a couple missteps on TLS will result in hordes of pointless mudslinging.
Ditching this in favor of a new account would be too easy... wouldn't want to deprive you all of a juicy target now that TTT-grad is gone.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:^ While funny, the intent in context is obviously more than a jest. If I didn't have some bizarre attachment to this anonymous personality, I would ignore it because it is totally irrelevant. But, since I am attached, and I suspect that many are thinking "LOLZ, Scally just got pwnd" I will dignify it with a response.

You sound like the type of person that calls something "gay" and then justifies it by explaining, "Oh no, I didn't mean homosexual, I just meant lame!"

My response was not "what I said wasn't racist", because it was racist; my response was "no, I'm not the type of person that calls something 'gay' and then justifies it..." My reasoning was that I did not know "jipped" was a branch-off from "gypped", which is a racially charged word for cheated, suggesting gypsies engaged in such acts.

My use of "intention" was meant to explain why, had I known what it meant, I would not have used the word. Yes, what I said was racist, but I am not "the type of person that... etc." because those types of people use "gay" as "lame" with the knowledge that gay also means homosexual. Your cartoon is using "intent" in a way that I was not, which is why it's irrelevant and does not serve to discredit my reasoning. The difference between intending to use "gay" as "lame" and my use of "jipped" as "cheated" is that I was 100% innocent, while the former chooses to use a word that offends because s/he does not care enough about those who might be offended.

Note to self: a couple missteps on TLS will result in hordes of pointless mudslinging.
Ditching this in favor of a new account would be too easy... wouldn't want to deprive you all of a juicy target now that TTT-grad is gone.
You're not one to let things roll off your back, are you?

Seriously... relax. You make things so much worse for yourself when you make these long-winded, rambling defenses. I dunno if you care much about your TLS reputation, but it isn't real good right now. You seem nice enough, but you are really hurting your own cause. Sometimes just say, "Okay... my bad" or "Okay, thanks for the heads up." Go with the flow, dude.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:33 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:^ While funny, the intent in context is obviously more than a jest. If I didn't have some bizarre attachment to this anonymous personality, I would ignore it because it is totally irrelevant. But, since I am attached, and I suspect that many are thinking "LOLZ, Scally just got pwnd" I will dignify it with a response.

Sorry man, but you're killing me/us/everything ever.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Strato, where the hell have you been? I haven't seen you around these parts in a while.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:39 pm

I feel jipped by the direction of the thread.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:43 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:I feel jipped by the direction of the thread.
Agreed. This was a good thread (if I do say so myself) and we had some great discussion going. Scally de-railed yet another thread.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:Strato, where the hell have you been? I haven't seen you around these parts in a while.
Haven't been around these parts in a while, for the most part :? Finishing up undergrad and apartment hunting have had me pretty busy... between that and the interminable waiting for school to start, I've been lurking far more than posting. The mix of anticipation/terror over job prospects/worries over waitlists blowing things to hell and gone has made for a very, very interesting summer thus far.

Also, don't despair, scally. Just get familiar with the board's general social norms and no one will remember any of this before long

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:49 pm

romothesavior wrote: You're not one to let things roll off your back, are you?
If it's a friendly jab, yes, but folks in TLS are out to get me to a hilarious degree right now, so I'm assuming the cartoon wasn't friendly.
romothesavior wrote: Seriously... relax. You make things so much worse for yourself when you make these long-winded, rambling defenses.
You'd be surprised at how relaxed I am. The response was long-winded, but it was not rambling, unless explaining a distinction that should be obvious in great detail is rambling... but without explaining it, folks may have read it and thought it was a great rebuttal, which it wasn't. If that makes things worse for me, so be it.
romothesavior wrote: I dunno if you care much about your TLS reputation, but it isn't real good right now. You seem nice enough, but you are really hurting your own cause.
I do care about my TLS reputation, and I'm quite aware that it's not good at all right now. I am only hurting my own cause if my cause is to be well-liked by the majority, but that is not the cause. I care only about those who actually read all the text and think for themselves, putting aside reputation of posters in favor of arguments on their own terms. It's quite obvious that many TLSers are circling, just waiting for any opportunity to strike. If I let that "roll off my back" I might eventually be perceived as jovial, and the sport of attacking me will lose appeal. But I'm not interested in allowing blows to land on my head for the sake of popularity. Come on, we both know that's already out the window.
romothesavior wrote: Sometimes just say, "Okay... my bad" or "Okay, thanks for the heads up." Go with the flow, dude.
I do say "Okay, thanks for the heads up" when anyone offers information that corrects/alters/broadens my knowledge (now I sound like a broken record), but I don't say "thanks for the heads up" when someone claims that I sound like the sort of person who engages in an activity that I find reprehensible. That's not a flow I'm interested in going with.
Last edited by Scallywaggums on Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Agreed. This was a good thread (if I do say so myself) and we had some great discussion going. Scally de-railed yet another thread.
Once again, I did not derail it. I will not twiddle my thumbs when being compared to someone who says "gay". Not sure why I'm to blame, when I wasn't the instigator.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 pm

stratocophic wrote: Also, don't despair, scally. Just get familiar with the board's general social norms and no one will remember any of this before long
NEVAR FORGET

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:10 pm

rad law wrote:
stratocophic wrote: Also, don't despair, scally. Just get familiar with the board's general social norms and no one will remember any of this before long
NEVAR FORGET
:lol: I suppose we should ask Sibley about TLS' long memory...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:10 pm

stratocophic wrote:
rad law wrote:
NEVAR FORGET
:lol: I suppose we should ask Sibley about TLS' long memory...
Haha yeah he doesn't show his face around here no more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:28 am

honestly, when i read the whole "Epictetus" bit, i wanted to respond in the vein of "who. the fuck. is this guy?" but didn't want to derail the thread. now that said threat has been derailed

WHO. THE FUCK. IS THIS GUY?

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:42 am

let/them/eat/cake wrote: WHO. THE FUCK. IS THIS GUY?
Baby stingray.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:08 am

Um, I just skimmed so I might be off here, but did somebody really get called out for saying gypped or "jipped?" If so.......srsly? :shock:

Also, talk about overly PC you guys. You honestly get offended when someone calls something gay? Wow. What are we, 12? :?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:19 am

A'nold wrote:Um, I just skimmed so I might be off here, but did somebody really get called out for saying gypped or "jipped?" If so.......srsly? :shock:

Also, talk about overly PC you guys. You honestly get offended when someone calls something gay? Wow. What are we, 12? :?
lolz

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 am

A'nold wrote:Um, I just skimmed so I might be off here, but did somebody really get called out for saying gypped or "jipped?" If so.......srsly? :shock:

On the contrary. We're adults and prospective professionals. Am I personally offended when someone calls something gay? No, it's not one of the words that triggers an emotional response in me. However, when someone says it I'll certainly point out to him that it's inappropriate. Some people, like Scally in this case, don't even realize they're doing something wrong. Heck, I didn't find out until this year that exotic is not a compliment.

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:07 am

Kohinoor wrote:Heck, I didn't find out until this year that exotic is not a compliment.
when i call americans exotic they seem quite pleased!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 am

youpiiz wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Heck, I didn't find out until this year that exotic is not a compliment.
I mentioned that some of the LLMs were really hawt and exotic looking and everyone looked at me like I murdered a kitten.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 am

Scallywaggums wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Once again, I did not derail it. I will not twiddle my thumbs when being compared to someone who says "gay". Not sure why I'm to blame, when I wasn't the instigator.
I just read through this thread and while Scally's posts are sometimes a bit naive or off-base, FlightofEarls totally derailed this thread with an overly PC rendition of what is apparently a racist term. Scally obviously went a bit overboard with the defense, but with all the bashing of Scally on TLS in general, I can see where s/he is coming from.

Many of you come off as the 'lemmings' that JDU people comment on by bashing on Scally just because it gives you some TLS cred.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:49 am

Kohinoor wrote:
youpiiz wrote:
I mentioned that some of the LLMs were really hawt and exotic looking and everyone looked at me like I murdered a kitten.
Very disappointed with the direction of this thread until I read this. Made it all worthwhile. :lol:

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:02 am

Perhaps I'm also out-of-the-loop, but I didn't perceive Scally's "jipped" comment as offensive. Nor would I find "exotic" offensive in conversation. I am, however, pretty oblivious to matters of political correctness. As a sidenote: I do think Scally has been picked on somewhat unfairly of late but his long-winded and incoherent ramblings simply make matters worse. Scally, the best advice I can give you is, again, to sit back and listen; it took many of us, myself included, a long time to wrap our minds around ITE legal employment and I'm still constantly learning things (see my questions above). You've also lost any goodwill you may have had -- fairly or not -- so it's best to just be quiet in the LE forum.

All of that said, the word "gay" as used synonymously with "sucks" or "stupid" is completely inappropriate.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:40 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:05 am

bwv812 wrote:
miamiman wrote:Perhaps I'm also out-of-the-loop, but I didn't perceive Scally's "jipped" comment as offensive.
Would you find it offensive if some said "jewed" (or "jooed" if they didn't know the correct spelling)?
Yah, of course, but I don't think it's fair to equate the two. "jipped", for better or for worse, has entered the mainstream parlance and is used innocuously -- at least by unassuming laypersons -- as synonymous with cheated. I would imagine it is used by most people (like Scally) in ignorace of its origin.

It'd be hard for even the dumbest layperson to diassociate the word "jewed" from its derivation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”