Should I Put This On My Resume??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Include Series 3/Series 63 Certification on Resume?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 14

Anonymous User

Should I Put This On My Resume??

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:04 am

This might seem a little ridiculous, but while taking a couple of years off during undergrad, I obtain two financial certificates granted by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authortiy: Series 3 and Series 63. These two licenses let me sell commodities/futures contracts and solicit orders for corporate debt/equity securities to a certain degree. The problem is that I have no financial work experience.

Would it be imprudent to include these certificates in my resume for OCI? It's like "you don't even have any real experience in the financial sector, so who gives?" I'm hoping that some employers might see this as a positive thing, since it proves that I'm already interested and famliar with the financial industry.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated!

MorningHood

Re: Should I Put This On My Resume??

Postby MorningHood » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:07 am

I'm the OP; didn't mean to use the Annon. post.

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:43 am

I vote "include them." Even if the certificates aren't really related to anything in the job you're applying for, if you don't have years and years of work experience it will look good to an employer that you did something during those years after undergrad, and that you were able to do whatever it was that you had to do to obtain the certificate successfully.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:56 am

Yeah, if you have some space on your resume that needs filling, then do it. Eventually you probably won't have the space, because you will have something more substantial, but for now it is good.

MorningHood

Postby MorningHood » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks guys. I guess I'll be including this stuff for now; what kind of stuff do you guys have your resumes that would warrant the exclusion of miscellaneous fillers such as the one I've asked about????

NewHere

Postby NewHere » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:24 pm

MorningHood wrote:what kind of stuff do you guys have your resumes that would warrant the exclusion of miscellaneous fillers such as the one I've asked about????
Soon you will have stuff like that, too. The average 3L will have had 2 summer jobs, perhaps an internship or work as an RA or TA, maybe some academic award or journal membership, etc. Soon all that kind of stuff takes precedence over pre-law-school stuff, which generally becomes less relevant the longer ago it is.

The longer you live, the more you have to drop off your resume. :)

MorningHood

Postby MorningHood » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 pm

hrmmm... is an RA position worth pursuing for resume-filling purposes? or is it something that should be sought after for the financial benefits?

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:08 am

best if you can get a rec out of it for clerkships or a reference for jobs. also people overlook this avenue but my prof helped me get job offers bc she knew people who worked there or knew people who knew people.

financial benefits? $10-15/hr and how many hours would you work during the semester anyway?

it's not going to impress anyone on a resume but it's better than nothing. depends on how crappy your resume is. if i still had my grocery store job on mine (fresh-soph yr of college), i'd be looking for anything to knock that crap out of there lol

Return to “Legal Employment”