Does top 15% at MVP but no WE have a chance at elite firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does top 15% at MVP but no WE have a chance at elite firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Especially if I make Law Review? How did people in the top 15% at MVP do last year?

romothesavior

Re: Does top 15% at MVP but no WE have a chance at elite firms?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Especially if I make Law Review? How did people in the top 15% at MVP do last year?

They got shitlaw. Drop out.

Terrible flame.

PS. 2000th post. Dunno whether to be excited or ashamed of how much time I've spent on here.

JustDude

Postby JustDude » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 am

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Especially if I make Law Review? How did people in the top 15% at MVP do last year?

Terrible flame.

PS. 2000th post. Dunno whether to be excited or ashamed of how much time I've spent on here.

Ashamed. Or excited

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:43 am

Really well. You have a shot at DC, too.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:46 am

romothesavior wrote:

Terrible flame.

You should be ashamed of your excitment

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:47 am

delBarco wrote:
You should be ashamed of your excitment

or excited of your shame... mmmmmm

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:55 am

Seriously? Top 15 percent at any of those schools gives you a shot at almost any firm in the country.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:04 am

Hiei wrote:

Seriously? Top 15 percent at any of those schools gives you a shot at almost any firm in the country.

I think this might be TCR. Good shot at everywhere that's not V10 or W&C or some other elite boutique.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 am

why would they give a shit about your work experience? It's all about grades and school rank, baby!

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 am

RVP11 wrote:
Hiei wrote:

I think this might be TCR. Good shot at everywhere that's not V10 or W&C or some other elite boutique.

Really the V10 shouldn't be any problem outside of Wachtell; and for Wachtell, W&C, and elite boutiques their grades/school would not be the reason they weren't hired. Law Review would matter much more at W&C and the elite boutiques than at the V10 firms.

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:01 am

You should be applying deep into the V100, but within the V10 as well. I don't agree with the rosy outlook of other posters here.

MarkTwain

Postby MarkTwain » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:19 am

Top 15% with LR at a T10 isn't even close to landing a job at W&C or Wachtell.

youpiiz

Postby youpiiz » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:20 am

speaking of mark twain

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 80695.html

i am excitied.

Llewellyn

Postby Llewellyn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 am

youpiiz wrote:speaking of mark twain

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 80695.html

i am excitied.

Mark Twain lost his virginity at like 30 to a prostitute.
I wonder if he will detail that event in this so-called autobiography.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:51 am

MarkTwain wrote:Top 15% with LR at a T10 isn't even close to landing a job at W&C or Wachtell.

hyperbole?

It's probably not sufficient, but it looks like there are plenty of those types of folks running around elite firms.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:07 am

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:55 am

EijiMiyake wrote:
MarkTwain wrote:Top 15% with LR at a T10 isn't even close to landing a job at W&C or Wachtell.

hyperbole?

It's probably not sufficient, but it looks like there are plenty of those types of folks running around elite firms.

Even if there were, they weren't hired ITE.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:07 am

edit n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Postby mallard » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm

lol. Please list some top Vault firms that hired 80-200 summers during the downturn.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Wachtell and W&C and the elite DC boutiques are in a different league than the rest of the V10. At NU, the former call back maybe the top few people in the class, while (historically) most of the others hire well outside the top 10%.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:59 pm

edit n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:There's a huge difference between firms like Wachtell, Susman, W&C, etc. and 'V10'. The V10 (outside of Wachtell) have the largest summer classes this side of the Mississippi (and while smaller in the down turn, they still dwarfed the competion in most cases). You can't be uber very selective if you're hiring 80-200 attorneys for the summer and so is the guy next door. Both W&C and Wachtell had summer classes on the order of 20 students last year, IIRC - meaning they can afford to really take standouts from the best schools without dipping any deeper. The increased compensation / security / flashiness of the resume means that those smaller but very elite firms have the luxury of being extraordinarily picky both in terms of class standing, law school(s) hired from, and personality match.

At Virginia, top 15% would just barely put you in play (i.e. you'd be on the low side for hires, but it isn't impossible) for a run of the mill 'V10' firm job - but keep in mind that most of the gunners from VA have their sights set squarely on DC, and outside of Covington the big players in D.C. are not the V10. I mention that just to reiterate the absurdity of slavishly following the vault rankings. OP noted 'elite firms' and that's really going to change depending on the market(s) you're targeting. 8 of the 10 firms currently in the V10 are corporate NYC centric firms, so if you don't want to practice corporate law in NYC (!!SHOCK!!) then your goals are going to be quite different.

Anyway, top 15% is going to make an elite firm job yours to lose, but you'll have basically a 0% chance at the tiny/uber elite firms discussed above (since they can afford to be picky) and you'll probably be just outside of the range where the gigantic but still 'elite' firms draw most of their summer class from (since they can probably still get most of their fill out of the top 10%). There are still a ton of firms, many of them ranked by vault just outside of the top 10, which will take you, provide good exit options, and pay way more than a fresh graduate deserves. But you'll have to bid smart and seal the deal on interviews/callbacks.

LOL a lot of people have changed on TLS since I left. I remember I used to say this CONSTANTLY and people would be like " you don't know what you are talking about the V10 are the most selective firms in the nation, you need at least HYS to have a decent shot there, maybe CCN". Most of the V10 are huge transactional focused firms that are headquartered in NYC with very low associate to partner percentages, with that type of structure the firms don't have a choice but to take in relatively large class sizes. The elite litigation firms (and Wachtell) have a business model that allows them to be much more selective. These firms are small and many of their associates actually become partners. When you have that sort of business structure you can (and have to) be more selective in your hiring than the big transactional firms.

Your whole discussion about how most people with top grades are gunning for DC and how none of the V10 except Covington are big players in DC was something I used to stress to people when discussing UVA's placement. A lot of people think that since UVA doesn't place a lot of people in the V10 (like say NYU or Penn) it is viewed as less prestigious than say NYU or Penn and that it's placement isn't as good as those two schools. This is far from the truth. Boalt is in a similiar situation in that the selective firms that many of their grads want are not int the V10 (Munger, Irell, Keker) but are actually a lot more selective. Also top 15 percent at UVA would by no means rule you out of a job at W&C you can check out their firms bios for proof of that; top 15 percent will give you a shot but things like law review status, interview skills, and an interesting resume will be what ends up deciding whether you are hired or not.

Hiei

Postby Hiei » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:47 pm

TTT-LS wrote:

TITCR. That said, OP is pretty close to a lock for multiple V20 offers. S/he should still bid widely in the V100 as previously suggested, however, just as a fallback.

http://www.wc.com/attorneys-search.html ... ton=Search

You can look at those profiles and see that a number of those people were outside of the top 10 percent (ie not Coif). And for the record, although I shouldn't be putting this out there, I was given the GPA range of people hired from UVA at Williams and Conolly over the past few years and they definitely hired people with grades in the top 15 percent range. Being hired doesn't always come down to nothing but grades. There are other things that come into play when you pass a certain GPA threshold.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:01 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”