(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: ADA vs. AUSA

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 pm

As an example of the above, a family member who worked at the Public Defender's Office told me that it wasn't unusual for some of these cases to go from start to plea deal in about 30 minutes because everyone was so overworked.

Postby Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 pm

tram988 wrote:
Glad to see BC. I'm definitely interested in this.

Any idea on their hours/salary?

Just asked about the AUSA and Assistant State Attorney (FL DA) positions. Again, major metro area in FL.

To start:

ASA - mid $30k - $40k ish

AUSA - $70k - $75k (the experienced secretaries can make $50k - $60k in the office haha)

Postby ggocat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:52 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:
whatjusthappened wrote:
A'nold wrote:Some ADA's do carry guns I believe.......confirm?

I know for a fact that some do. I've read this a couple times on TLS. However, I'm not sure how widespread this practice is.

If you have 'the right to carry law," it really does matter. If I was an ADA, I would definitely carry one in case some bum tried to get revenge.

Why would you be prosecuting bums? Or would they only become bums after you'd prosecuted them?

I'm scared of you.

i lolled soooo hard.

Postby Garinold » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:10 pm

What has been said thus far is fairly accurate from what I've come to learn. Generally speaking, ADAs have much larger caseloads and really have less time to work in the investigative process the way AUSAs can. The Pros of the ADA position are that one will get more trial experience than most other people in the legal profession (limited of course to criminal law & matched by Public Defenders). AUSAs, as mentioned and described in significant detail in John Kroger's book "Convictions", work fewer cases. However, AUSAs have much more control over the investigative process and much more time to work each individual cases. Another point worth mentioning is that in many jurisdictions one can be competitive for an ADA job out of law school, while AUSA jobs require more experience.

The two typical places strong AUSA apps come from are Federal clerkships & ADA positions. I was recently told by the head of recruiting for the DOJ that the Newark & Camden DOJ offices (ones that I will be interested in the upcoming years) look for applicants with a lot of litigation experience. He didn't delve to deep into specifics, but it sounded like ADAs, Federal & State Public Defenders, and Private sector folk that managed to get in trial experience are competitive. Those two offices are constantly busy. Those of you that are know NJ know why. The question that I am curious about is how much of a factor are quality of school/grades for those offices & other offices like it? I know the old say is that quality of school, and what grades you get, are only important for the first job you get. After your first job your reputation is what counts. That said, the DOJ still has the reputation for being a very elitist institution when it comes to schools/grades. Logically your actions as an actual prosecutor/litigator should say more about what kind of prosecutor you'd be for the Feds than your grades, but I'd still like to know for sure.

Return to “Legal Employment”