ADA vs. AUSA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
A'nold

Gold

ADA vs. AUSA

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:25 am

Why does everyone target AUSA jobs and not ADA jobs? Prestige? Exit options?

And the most important thing: don't many ADA's get to carry guns, investigate crime scenes, and get off for speeding when you flash them your "badge" or whatever you get when you are an ADA? :wink:

NoleinNY

Silver

Re: ADA vs. AUSA

Post by NoleinNY » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 am

A'nold wrote:
And the most important thing: don't many ADA's get to carry guns, investigate crime scenes, and get off for speeding when you flash them your "badge" or whatever you get when you are an ADA? :wink:
God, I hope so. Otherwise, what's the point of getting a JD?

Seriously, though, I'd assume the exit options and prestige are probably why. What's better for picking up ladies in a bar? "I just put a pot dealer away for 8 months." or "I just sent Bernie Madoff to prison for the rest of his life."

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:56 am

NoleinNY wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Seriously, though, I'd assume the exit options and prestige are probably why. What's better for picking up ladies in a bar? "I just put a pot dealer away for 8 months." or "I just sent Bernie Madoff to prison for the rest of his life."
OK technically the DA or USA doesn't put anyone away for anything. The judge does.

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:58 am

A'nold wrote:Why does everyone target AUSA jobs and not ADA jobs? Prestige? Exit options?

why do you think? for the ladies.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:06 am

A'nold wrote:Why does everyone target AUSA jobs and not ADA jobs? Prestige? Exit options?

I've always thought it was the other way around, with ADAs having massive caseloads and working with what the detectives provide, and AUSAs spending more time with the investigative process and working with the FBI, DEA, etc. That's just my impression as a 0L, and I'm also interested in what those with experience have to say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

byunbee

Bronze

Post by byunbee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 am

if you could actually carry a gun around as an attorney, that would be awesome.

Thomas Jefferson

Bronze

Post by Thomas Jefferson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:13 am

byunbee wrote:if you could actually carry a gun around as an attorney, that would be awesome.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:18 am

ADA - Overworked, underpaid, low prestige, can be an entry level job.

AUSA - prestigious, rarely entry-level, not as overworked, "important" cases (federal), good pay and benefits if you stick with it

ChewbaccaDefense

New

Post by ChewbaccaDefense » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:23 am

Just going to do some thinking aloud here, but from where I sit, both of these paths look like great options. Obviously, the AUSA opportunities are pretty freaking awesome and don't need much selling. But from what I can gather (and please correct me if I'm wrong), an ADA position looks like a great launching pad and, depending on the locale, the salaries are not terrible. Plus, with IBR, while yes, your tax burden is increased somewhat, it seems possible to make this work even with sizeable school loans.

I know my writing sucks right now, so please excuse.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:39 pm

Some ADA's do carry guns I believe.......confirm?

whatjusthappened

New

Post by whatjusthappened » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:48 pm

A'nold wrote:Some ADA's do carry guns I believe.......confirm?
I know for a fact that some do. I've read this a couple times on TLS. However, I'm not sure how widespread this practice is.

If you have 'the right to carry law," it really does matter. If I was an ADA, I would definitely carry one in case some bum tried to get revenge.

Billy Blanks

Bronze

Post by Billy Blanks » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:57 pm

whatjusthappened wrote:
A'nold wrote:Some ADA's do carry guns I believe.......confirm?
I know for a fact that some do. I've read this a couple times on TLS. However, I'm not sure how widespread this practice is.

If you have 'the right to carry law," it really does matter. If I was an ADA, I would definitely carry one in case some bum tried to get revenge.
Why would you be prosecuting bums? Or would they only become bums after you'd prosecuted them?

I'm scared of you.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 pm

I'd rather it be something that comes w/ the job instead of my own gun, for various reasons.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:19 pm

I know the cases are different, in that ADAs can get a lot of drug and property crime cases. AUSAs get bigger issues, like white-collar crime, or RICO, or kidnapping. So the caseload is probably more interesting in a lot of ways.

On the flip-side, ADAs get to work on 'real' crimes more often, and may get to help out on murder and assault cases depending on the jurisdiction and their skill level. AUSAs do a ton of boring regulatory infractions, and spend a lot of energy trying to convict business people for relatively petty crimes like failure to properly document prescriptions.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:21 pm

NayBoer wrote:AUSAs get bigger issues, like white-collar crime, or RICO, or kidnapping. So the caseload is probably more interesting in a lot of ways.
ADAs can get a lot of these things too, as long as the feds don't pick it up, the crime wasn't committed across state lines, etc.

edit: but admitted, the truly big RICO/interstate compact/drug trafficking cases (the best ones) are federal.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Pardon the uninformed 0L questions but how competitive are ADA and AUSA jobs normally? Are we talking T14 or strong regional school here?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:36 pm

rad law wrote:
NayBoer wrote:AUSAs get bigger issues, like white-collar crime, or RICO, or kidnapping. So the caseload is probably more interesting in a lot of ways.
ADAs can get a lot of these things too, as long as the feds don't pick it up, the crime wasn't committed across state lines, etc.

edit: but admitted, the truly big RICO/interstate compact/drug trafficking cases (the best ones) are federal.
Yeah, I'm sure it varies considerably. It probably also matters where you are. I'll bet being ADA in a large, central jurisdiction can bring lots of diversity of cases (like how Spitzer as NY AG was able to sue Wall Street). And there are probably AUSA jurisdictions that are considered much less prestigious. Probably part of the reason Lori Drew got indicted; nothing else as interesting or as headline-grabbing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:40 pm

webbylu87 wrote:Pardon the uninformed 0L questions but how competitive are ADA and AUSA jobs normally? Are we talking T14 or strong regional school here?
Depends where. There are podunk states and podunk federal jurisdictions.

In my major metro area of FL, Assistant State Attorney (our version of DAs) could be an entry level job for someone from UF, FSU, or Stetson with decent grades. However, with the economy the way it is, the SAs office is not doing very much hiring. Still many of the ASAs pretty much look like kids fresh out of school.

For AUSA positions here, prior experience (firm or govt.) is pretty much a prerequisite, plus the office was bombarded with resumes from experienced people from top schools looking to get a nice govt. job less susceptible to ITE. In general, the people who work at the office here that I've met are from true "top" schools (UVA, Vandy, Emory, and BC are among the ones I know), plus some UF people, too.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:48 pm

NayBoer wrote:Yeah, I'm sure it varies considerably. It probably also matters where you are.
Agreed. My FL metro area is probably insanely different on the state and federal level than say, Nebraska. Different crimes.

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:49 pm

rad law wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:Pardon the uninformed 0L questions but how competitive are ADA and AUSA jobs normally? Are we talking T14 or strong regional school here?
Depends where. There are podunk states and podunk federal jurisdictions.

In my major metro area of FL, Assistant State Attorney (our version of DAs) could be an entry level job for someone from UF, FSU, or Stetson with decent grades. However, with the economy the way it is, the SAs office is not doing very much hiring. Still many of the ASAs pretty much look like kids fresh out of school.

For AUSA positions here, prior experience (firm or govt.) is pretty much a prerequisite, plus the office was bombarded with resumes from experienced people from top schools looking to get a nice govt. job less susceptible to ITE. In general, the people who work at the office here that I've met are from true "top" schools (UVA, Vandy, Emory, and BC are among the ones I know), plus some UF people, too.
Glad to see BC. I'm definitely interested in this.

Any idea on their hours/salary?

nol607

Bronze

Post by nol607 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:59 pm

You really need to read Convictions by John Kroger. What he said that really stuck with me, aside from the obvious, is that as an ADA you pick up a lot of really bad habits by necessity; you literally will have 300+ "awaiting trial" cases at any given time. As an AUSA you put all of your energy into a particular case and assume a greater ownership over the result.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:17 pm

nol607 wrote:You really need to read Convictions by John Kroger. What he said that really stuck with me, aside from the obvious, is that as an ADA you pick up a lot of really bad habits by necessity; you literally will have 300+ "awaiting trial" cases at any given time. As an AUSA you put all of your energy into a particular case and assume a greater ownership over the result.
I'm still reading Three Felonies A Day, about systemic abuses in the federal prosecution process. By a defense attorney, of course.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:
A'nold wrote:

OK technically the DA or USA doesn't put anyone away for anything. The judge does.
Cool dude.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:19 pm

rad law wrote:ADA - Overworked, underpaid, low prestige, can be an entry level job.

AUSA - prestigious, rarely entry-level, not as overworked, "important" cases (federal), good pay and benefits if you stick with it
Well...what lawyer isn't?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:39 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
rad law wrote:ADA - Overworked, underpaid, low prestige, can be an entry level job.

Well...what lawyer isn't?
Overworked such that it may be hard to do a good job in some jurisdictions, aka pleading out tons of people who shouldn't be pled out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”