Law Firm Clients Cool to Support of Summer Classes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

TTTGrad

Re: Law Firm Clients Cool to Support of Summer Classes

Postby TTTGrad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 am

This article doesn't surprise me. Clients have always bemoaned and resented seeing summer associate billables on their invoices. I was one of the few attorneys that would write off the time as I did not want to alienate the mostly institutional clients. Now it seems no one wants to pay for associate training. This is the reason why as a midlaw partner, hiring untrained law grads is a waste of time and a bad investment. In another post I mentioned that I am only interested in hiring a candidate who I can send to argue a motion in court immediately or who will bring at least $2M in portable business. Some of you amusingly stated that arguing a motion is no big deal if someone reviewed the file with them for an hour. Kids, that is an hour that no client is willing to pay for. Unfortunately, law schools don't teach you how to be lawyer. In fact law school is a fabulous racket in that you are paying tuition to be taught theory and how to "think" like a lawyer. Imagine going to a hospital and undergoing major surgery to be performed by a resident that was taught how to "think" like a doctor. Kids coming out of law school cannot practice law and still need to pay for a bar review course since law school doesn't even prepare you for the bar exam itself. I am sure the lemmings' comeback will be that this article is inapplicable to the Class of 2013. 22,000 legal jobs have been lost since 2008 and you kids giggle over the gain of 300 legal jobs in May (temporary document review jobs I may add)? I lament to observe that every generation of attorneys since the early '90s keeps getting dumber and dumber but this class tops them all since they are willingly walking into the slaughter.

I will give you kids a tip. If you are applying to a midlaw firm located in NYC metro area 3 years from now (or any other area for that matter), don't bother. Your resume and cover letter will be tossed in the wastebasket.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:49 am

i think my firm writes off a bunch of summer associate hours. who knows, maybe it was reverse psychology to make us not worry about working fast and be super thorough instead and rack up the billz

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:56 am

TTTGrad wrote:This article doesn't surprise me. Clients have always bemoaned and resented seeing summer associate billables on their invoices. I was one of the few attorneys that would write off the time as I did not want to alienate the mostly institutional clients. Now it seems no one wants to pay for associate training. This is the reason why as a midlaw partner, hiring untrained law grads is a waste of time and a bad investment. In another post I mentioned that I am only interested in hiring a candidate who I can send to argue a motion in court immediately or who will bring at least $2M in portable business. Some of you amusingly stated that arguing a motion is no big deal if someone reviewed the file with them for an hour. Kids, that is an hour that no client is willing to pay for. Unfortunately, law schools don't teach you how to be lawyer. In fact law school is a fabulous racket in that you are paying tuition to be taught theory and how to "think" like a lawyer. Imagine going to a hospital and undergoing major surgery to be performed by a resident that was taught how to "think" like a doctor. Kids coming out of law school cannot practice law and still need to pay for a bar review course since law school doesn't even prepare you for the bar exam itself. I am sure the lemmings' comeback will be that this article is inapplicable to the Class of 2013. 22,000 legal jobs have been lost since 2008 and you kids giggle over the gain of 300 legal jobs in May (temporary document review jobs I may add)? I lament to observe that every generation of attorneys since the early '90s keeps getting dumber and dumber but this class tops them all since they are willingly walking into the slaughter.

I will give you kids a tip. If you are applying to a midlaw firm located in NYC metro area 3 years from now (or any other area for that matter), don't bother. Your resume and cover letter will be tossed in the wastebasket.

:roll: :roll: Oooooooo, big bad fake scawy lawyer is scawy.

enygma

Postby enygma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 am

TTTGrad wrote: Imagine going to a hospital and undergoing major surgery to be performed by a resident that was taught how to "think" like a doctor.

you do know kids coming out of med school can't perform surgery, right?

SaintClarence27

Postby SaintClarence27 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:37 am

enygma wrote:
TTTGrad wrote: Imagine going to a hospital and undergoing major surgery to be performed by a resident that was taught how to "think" like a doctor.

you do know kids coming out of med school can't perform surgery, right?

Sure they can. Just not well or legally.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:21 am

Okay, two things:

1)
Citi spokeswoman Shannon Bell wrote:The new rule "reflects our commitment to prudently managing expenses."

Really, Citi spokeswoman Shannon Bell? Really? Citi is committed to prudently managing expenses? Really?

2)
TTTGrad wrote:This article doesn't surprise me. Clients have always bemoaned and resented seeing summer associate billables on their invoices. I was one of the few attorneys that would write off the time as I did not want to alienate the mostly institutional clients. Now it seems no one wants to pay for associate training. This is the reason why as a midlaw partner, hiring untrained law grads is a waste of time and a bad investment. In another post I mentioned that I am only interested in hiring a candidate who I can send to argue a motion in court immediately or who will bring at least $2M in portable business. Some of you amusingly stated that arguing a motion is no big deal if someone reviewed the file with them for an hour. Kids, that is an hour that no client is willing to pay for. Unfortunately, law schools don't teach you how to be lawyer. In fact law school is a fabulous racket in that you are paying tuition to be taught theory and how to "think" like a lawyer. Imagine going to a hospital and undergoing major surgery to be performed by a resident that was taught how to "think" like a doctor. Kids coming out of law school cannot practice law and still need to pay for a bar review course since law school doesn't even prepare you for the bar exam itself. I am sure the lemmings' comeback will be that this article is inapplicable to the Class of 2013. 22,000 legal jobs have been lost since 2008 and you kids giggle over the gain of 300 legal jobs in May (temporary document review jobs I may add)? I lament to observe that every generation of attorneys since the early '90s keeps getting dumber and dumber but this class tops them all since they are willingly walking into the slaughter.

Really,TTTGrad? You're a midlaw partner in the NYC metro area, really? And your skills at crafting an analogy are really that awful, really? Here's my lemmings comeback: If you're going to flame, at least be believable. Get the fuck out. ...Really.

Return to “Legal Employment”