Fordham 2Ls Talk About Struggle for Summer Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

legends159

Re: Fordham 2Ls Talk About Struggle for Summer Jobs

Postby legends159 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:47 pm

it was a bloodbath, this doesn't really tell a new story

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:48 pm

I wanted to be in before OS, ass. :evil:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:53 pm

thesealocust wrote:
A'nold wrote:I wanted to be in before OS, ass. :evil:

We can all be IBOS!

Favorite new meme. :D

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:54 pm

I really want to do an OS impression but I'll refrain. I'm sure it would contain words like, "wonderful," "fantastic," "gorgeous," and "amazing."

Anyways, IBOS.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 pm

Jesus. I don't suppose Fordham & other schools take polls of what percentage of 1Ls land summer jobs, and whether or not they were paying... otherwise that'd be posted here already?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 pm

never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:01 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Ask and ye shall receive

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/career/1Lstats.htm

3 points.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 pm

The same shit happened to 60% of their class even in 2007.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:04 pm

never mind

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:27 am

thesealocust wrote:
A'nold wrote:I wanted to be in before OS, ass. :evil:

We can all be IBOS!

Have you had enough fun with that? It happens I do know who made it, and I should probably just be honored or something that I get my own meme.

Serious stuff: Yes, I saw the article a bit earlier. Fordham doesn't publish a list of who does what during 1L summer, but I have been able to do some research of my own about last year's OCI, and I have a fairly good idea of how it went. The class of 2011 did OCI in the summer of 2009, and they were truly caught in the worst of the economic downturn. It happened to greater or lesser degree at nearly every school, but those feeding into the New York market felt particular pain because of NYC biglaw's dependence on the financial sector. (People who know me well got treated to the odd spectacle of me saying I hoped Wall Street would prosper. I tend to take a dim view of the banking industry on a personal level, but I know my classmates' fate, and perhaps my own, depends upon the legal work generated by i-banks and their clients.)

It wasn't good last year. Not here, and not for many of our peer schools. I would be remiss if I told you otherwise. We have half a decade's worth of data on Fordham's biglaw placement, and prior to this recession, the school never placed less than the top third into large NYC firms. (The class of 2008, which did OCI in 2006, placed 43.7% of the class into large firms.) The class of 2011 fell victim to horrible timing here, and at just about every other school below the most elite. Research suggests that c/o 2012 can expect a slight uptick in OCI hiring (I've been told by current associates that recruiters are calling again, and there are other signs of life.) This is still an uncertain time for us, and schools further down the rankings are suffering even more. (I spoke to a 2009 BLS grad and heard some horrifying stories I don't want to repeat.)

I know the crisis is not of Fordham's making, and the school is doing everything it reasonably can to help students prepare for reality. I don't have sugar and sunshine for you, because this really isn't all that sugary. I do have the sense, based upon previous years' statistics and my own research, that Fordham will stand to benefit when hiring picks up in New York. We are in walking distance of half these firms, and nearly every big firm that ever recruited here will be at our OCI. Firms like Sidley Austin and Weil Gotshal cut back last year (I think there were 47 offers to Fordham students between those two alone in 2008), but when the need returns, history suggests they will pick up more Fordham students. Among my PT classmates, there seems to be consensus that 2013 will have an easier time of it than we will, and many more people opted to stay part time this year.

I didn't come to Fordham with biglaw in mind, so if such a path is foreclosed to me, I'll pursue the path I planned to pursue. The seas are still rough, but I've been lucky so far and I would choose this school again. Fordham helped me get a wonderful PI job this summer and is helping me fund it. Despite the shittiness of the recession, which is undeniably so, I have loved my time at Fordham and don't regret coming here.

Return to “Legal Employment”