Finally got a 1L job, wohoo!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Finally got a 1L job, wohoo!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:08 pm

Also, a long time ago when I solicited the firm, I told them I would be fine being unpaid. However, after getting the offer, an associate said, "we'll get your paperwork on file and get you on payroll." Am I getting paid? Lol, I know it sounds obvious but I just couldn't believe my ears.

Scallywaggums

Re: Finally got a 1L job, wohoo!

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Please post your school, your 1L class rank, nature of the job, and how you got the interview(s).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:Please post your school, your 1L class rank, nature of the job, and how you got the interview(s).

Considering he posted anonymous, I highly doubt that's going to happen.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Scallywaggums wrote:Please post your school, your 1L class rank, nature of the job, and how you got the interview(s).

Dear OP, pretty please post this information... otherwise your post is fruitless.

If you're worried we might figure out who you are, just leave out the nature of the job? We're here for information about the legal market, not anonymous pats-on-the-back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Hmmm.....odds are most of the regulars will know who I am right off the bat, but I'll try to keep some anonymity here:

t3/4 school, top 10% (at least). Got this job a very strange way. I knew somebody that used this firm before and she said some really great things about the founding attorney. I contacted the attorney and he set me up w/ an interview. Mass mailing, emailing, everything else did not work for me, yet contacting an attorney who I had no relationship w/ but we had a common person between us worked. Haha, go figure. This firm is awesome btw and I couldn't really think of a better place to intern this summer.

Anyway, it is a botique law firm with about 10 attorneys.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Dear OP, pretty please post this information... otherwise your post is fruitless.

If you're worried we might figure out who you are, just leave out the nature of the job? We're here for information about the legal market, not anonymous pats-on-the-back.

Lol, why would I care why YOU are here kind sir?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hmmm.....odds are most of the regulars will know who I am right off the bat, but I'll try to keep some anonymity here:

t3/4 school, top 10% (at least). Got this job a very strange way. I knew somebody that used this firm before and she said some really great things about the founding attorney. I contacted the attorney and he set me up w/ an interview. Mass mailing, emailing, everything else did not work for me, yet contacting an attorney who I had no relationship w/ but we had a common person between us worked. Haha, go figure. This firm is awesome btw and I couldn't really think of a better place to intern this summer.

I'm about 90% sure I know who this is. Congrats.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hmmm.....odds are most of the regulars will know who I am right off the bat, but I'll try to keep some anonymity here:

Hmm, think I know who this is but I won't say anything.

Anyways, congrats, that sounds like an awesome deal and a great networking opportunity. Maybe even leading to future employment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:45 pm

mistergoft wrote:

Anyways, congrats, that sounds like an awesome deal and a great networking opportunity. Maybe even leading to future employment?

Thanks guys, I'm about 99% sure you know who I am, and I appreciate the congrats. I REALLY needed this. Wow.

Mistergoft: The weird thing is that I could potentially see this as a place I'd love to work in the future. Every associate I talked to seems to love their job there and they all say that the founder is completely awesome to work for. Working environment is about the most important thing to me irt a job, ESPECIALLY if you have a great boss. It can make or break a job, IMO. The problem is that I think they pay small law salaries but they've hinted that they give good bonuses. With my debt, it's basically IBR/Biglaw or bust.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Congratulations! Thanks for the info. I guess I underestimated how easily your comrades would guess your identity.

Out of curiosity, do you know yet what the average workweek shapes up to be?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

Thanks guys, I'm about 99% sure you know who I am, and I appreciate the congrats. I REALLY needed this. Wow.

Mistergoft: The weird thing is that I could potentially see this as a place I'd love to work in the future. Every associate I talked to seems to love their job there and they all say that the founder is completely awesome to work for. Working environment is about the most important thing to me irt a job, ESPECIALLY if you have a great boss. It can make or break a job, IMO. The problem is that I think they pay small law salaries but they've hinted that they give good bonuses. With my debt, it's basically IBR/Biglaw or bust.

If I know you and you know me and like me (that's the catch, I realize) pm me so I can be happy for you!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:17 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mistergoft wrote:

If I know you and you know me and like me (that's the catch, I realize) pm me so I can be happy for you!!!

Oh you know me Mr. Matlock, you know me VERY WELL.....*crazy eyes*

To the jellyfish stingray guy: It looks like 8 to 5 with substantial time allowed to work from home. VERY independent work environment and very "hands off" from the attorneys. They expect me to work on my own and come up with a good work product. Nerve wracking, yes, but it seems like a great opportunity.

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
To the jellyfish stingray guy: It looks like 8 to 5 with substantial time allowed to work from home. VERY independent work environment and very "hands off" from the attorneys. They expect me to work on my own and come up with a good work product. Nerve wracking, yes, but it seems like a great opportunity.

Baby stingray.

Wow... I am drooling. ::Anonymous-pat-on-the-back::

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:38 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Baby stingray.

Wow... I am drooling. ::Anonymous-pat-on-the-back::

You realize that 1L jobs are substantially dissimilar from the job you would be doing post-grad, right Scally?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Urgent bump:

Do you guys think that having me give the firm all the stuff for payroll means I am being paid? Is there any reason they would have to "put me on the payroll" even if I am not being paid? We never talked about pay and I asked via email what the pay would be after they told me to bring in paperwork for payroll. Did I just douche it up? I'm freaking out now.

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:44 pm

:)
Last edited by howcani111 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Oh you know me Mr. Matlock, you know me VERY WELL.....*crazy eyes*

Dad????? Is that you? Call mom. We MISS YOU!!!! :oops:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 pm

howcani111 wrote: stupid tactless comment

WTF dude?

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Urgent bump:

Do you guys think that having me give the firm all the stuff for payroll means I am being paid? Is there any reason they would have to "put me on the payroll" even if I am not being paid? We never talked about pay and I asked via email what the pay would be after they told me to bring in paperwork for payroll. Did I just douche it up? I'm freaking out now.

Sounds like they're definitely paying you. You are well within your rights and within the norm about discussing this issue after an offer has been made.

Now PM me dammit!!!!!! :twisted:

Scallywaggums

Postby Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 pm

mistergoft wrote:You realize that 1L jobs are substantially dissimilar from the job you would be doing post-grad, right Scally?

Yes, but it sounds like a sweet summer gig.

That said, I'm not really sure what 1L jobs entail. Is it research & support for the attorneys?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Urgent bump:

Sounds like they're definitely paying you. You are well within your rights and within the norm about discussing this issue after an offer has been made.

Now PM me dammit!!!!!! :twisted:

Whew, I almost had to buy some "oops I crapped my pants." PM sent.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
mistergoft wrote:You realize that 1L jobs are substantially dissimilar from the job you would be doing post-grad, right Scally?

That said, I'm not really sure what 1L jobs entail. Is it research & support for the attorneys?

I'll let you guys know how "sweet" it is after I start but yeah I'm stoked and VERY lucky to get this position.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:

In my experience, which is limited to about two weeks, yes. Lots of research, some memo writing, shadowing attorneys, summarizing dispositions, sorting discovery items.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Being someone who can see who you are... :twisted: Congrats!!!

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:03 pm

"I've heard of those. Do they work?"

Also guessing I have you pegged. Even if not, your reference of one of my favorite TV moments warrants congrats on its own.

So, congrats.

Return to “Legal Employment”