V&E Partner Surprisingly Candid About SAs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
HBK

Bronze

Re: V&E Partner Surprisingly Candid About SAs

Post by HBK » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:22 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote: I'll sit in back of the kitchen next to the dishwasher for an amazing $5 sloppy joe!!
I made'em extra sloppy!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm

HBK wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
HBK wrote: Hey, McCormick and Schmick's in Austin serves $50 steaks, and $5 sloppy joes.
Really? Looks like I know where I'm going for dinner tonight.
You have to get there before 7p or after 9p. It's a happy hour special (sloppy joes may actually be $3, and burgers are <$5). The food is cheap, but the drinks are still ball bustingly expensive. Also, if you order off that menu, they don't let you sit with their regular dinner guests.
I think the burgers are 2 bucks. I have no clue how I managed to overlook sloppy joes on the happy hour menu. I'd rather sit on the patio and stare at the milfs shopping at the Domain, so it's win-win.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 pm

daesonesb wrote: Sidebar: Would you say anything in particular is off the plate foodwise when you go to a lunch interview? Obvious to me would be not to order anything more expensive than the partners you are eating with, but other than that? What would you all get if, for example, you were ordering first? The Donald always says he would only hire people who ordered steak.
Just follow the golden rules of meal interviews.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:30 pm

Thirteen wrote:
HBK wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
HBK wrote: Hey, McCormick and Schmick's in Austin serves $50 steaks, and $5 sloppy joes.
Really? Looks like I know where I'm going for dinner tonight.
You have to get there before 7p or after 9p. It's a happy hour special (sloppy joes may actually be $3, and burgers are <$5). The food is cheap, but the drinks are still ball bustingly expensive. Also, if you order off that menu, they don't let you sit with their regular dinner guests.
I think the burgers are 2 bucks. I have no clue how I managed to overlook sloppy joes on the happy hour menu. I'd rather sit on the patio and stare at the milfs shopping at the Domain, so it's win-win.
That's where I took my fiancee on our first date. At that point in my life I always did happy hours as first dates to find out if I actually liked a lady before I would commit to an entire evening. I handed her the menu and said "Feel free to order ANYTHING you want" (the most expensive thing is $5).

I still always walked out of there with a $35-50 bill due to the drink prices.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

worth reading, thanks for posting

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:35 pm

IAFG wrote:worth reading, thanks for posting
am i out of your doghouse now, IAFG?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:23 pm

miamiman wrote:
out on probation?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm

IAFG wrote:
miamiman wrote:
out on probation?
What is the story here?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm

I'll take probation.

DF: IAFG thinks my postings exude excessive worry about the economy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:41 pm

miamiman wrote:I'll take probation.

UChi prob held together well. If not DIAF, that DLA Pipper semen sucker job is mine.

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:42 pm

miamiman wrote:
How does this year's summer program compare with last year's?

We have 30 fewer students. This summer, there are 97 [participants] firmwide.

The firm extended offers to only 75 percent of last year's summer associates. That's a bit discouraging. Any chance that rate will improve this year?
Generally, our offer rate is north of 90 percent. We had a large program last summer and the economy was uncertain. Things are more stable now; we have room to make everyone an offer.
I wish he elaborated on last year's program being "large".

If it was just large compared to this year's, and there've been around 130 students in the summer program for years before this recent economy-driven cutback, then the "we have room to make everyone an offer" quotation serves absolutely no use as an economic indicator.

If it really was abnormally large, and the summer program has generally included 100 students over the past decade, then the "room for everyone" quotation is cause for uproarious glee.

I assume that reality's closer to the former, but I tend towards pessimism.

Anyone run across similar interviews?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Scallywaggums wrote:
miamiman wrote:

The firm extended offers to only 75 percent of last year's summer associates. That's a bit discouraging. Any chance that rate will improve this year?
Generally, our offer rate is north of 90 percent. We had a large program last summer and the economy was uncertain. Things are more stable now; we have room to make everyone an offer.

If it was just large compared to this year's, and there've been around 130 students in the summer program for years before this recent economy-driven cutback, then the "we have room to make everyone an offer" quotation serves absolutely no use as an economic indicator.

If it really was abnormally large, and the summer program has generally included 100 students over the past decade, then the "room for everyone" quotation is cause for uproarious glee.

Actually, it does. If they plan on extending offers to everyone who doesn't screw up, then it is an indication that the firm feels confident about its predictions for their future workload. If all firms start to regain some sort of confidence about their short and intermediate futures, then the market will start to normalize. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean there will be more jobs out there, and there will certainly be fewer jobs for years to come. But as someone who is hopeful to land a 2L firm gig, I will feel a lot more confident knowing firms aren't no-offering and deferring everyone. There won't be as much pressure to "guess correctly" on taking a 2L gig since the fear of picking an unhealthy firm will be lower. That's my take, anyways.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:I'll take probation.

UChi prob held together well. If not DIAF, that DLA Pipper semen sucker job is mine.
dla piper sounds great to me.

I've been mass mailing tampa and miami shitlaw for weeks. I've got a few leads; I'm not wonderfully hopeful but im using matthies advice in converting leads into offers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:54 pm

thesealocust wrote:
miamiman wrote:I've been mass mailing tampa and miami shitlaw for weeks. I've got a few leads; I'm not wonderfully hopeful but im using matthies advice in converting leads into offers.
Wait, aren't you a 0L? What the fuck do your letters say?

Mass mailing is extremely inappropriate as a 0L. If that's what you thought Matthies was suggesting...
jk :mrgreen:

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:55 pm

sealocuts your tar made me lol.
this post totally made me even more scared of lunch interviews.

Scallywaggums

Bronze

Post by Scallywaggums » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Scallywaggums wrote:
miamiman wrote:

Actually, it does. If they plan on extending offers to everyone who doesn't screw up, then it is an indication that the firm feels confident about its predictions for their future workload. If all firms start to regain some sort of confidence about their short and intermediate futures, then the market will start to normalize. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean there will be more jobs out there, and there will certainly be fewer jobs for years to come. But as someone who is hopeful to land a 2L firm gig, I will feel a lot more confident knowing firms aren't no-offering and deferring everyone. There won't be as much pressure to "guess correctly" on taking a 2L gig since the fear of picking an unhealthy firm will be lower. That's my take, anyways.
Great point. I was thinking only in terms of 'total number of jobs' and, thus, a vague guess at how tough the market is.

This mistake was due to me not being in law school yet, and not thinking about how terrible it would be to have an offer deferred.

So, the market has stabilized and IF you land a summer gig you're in solid shape, but I still wish he had elaborated on last year's program being large. Keep my above argument and replace "economic indicator" with "indicator of increasing demand for lawyers."

Unrelatedly, is it possible to be notified in the event that you're quoted? I'm somewhat new here, and would like to branch out a bit without having to check back on every thread I post on to see If I've been responded to.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”